Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IIa - 485(NZ) Sqn

Smithy

I'm using a combination of kit decals (mostly the stencils), Xtradecal (for the grey codes), 3D-Kits (for the roundels and fin flashes) and Carpena (for the aircraft serials). So far everything as behaved beautifully and sat down nicely after some extra persuasion from Micro Sol.

I enjoy decalling and have no real angst doing it, although I remember when I returned to the hobby that it used to be a little nerve-wracking until I found what worked for me.

Well a slight underestimation in terms of the number of decals I have to put on. All up, it's going to be 70, yes 70!!!! And for a single seat WWII fighter, that's a record for me.

I'm nearly there (I've done 54 :blink2: ) so really hoping to wrap this up this evening. In fairness all the decals have behaved well, even the gun port patches which I often find to be a pain in the backside have gone on nicely so far needing only a little Pledge to get them to sit down and a splash of Micro Sol to bed them in.

Photo to follow at the end of this decal marathon.

• Like 2

I only did a couple last night as I was a bit shagged out from decalling. The vast majority are small: stencils; the gun port patches; the individual serial letters and numbers, so things that take a bit of time and concentration but I'm getting there and I'm happy with how she's turning out.

YvwKjhn.jpg 

• Like 4

Thanks KM and good timing, I've just this minute finished the decals! I am a Micro Sol guy and love the stuff. I've used it since I got back into the hobby and there's only been one time when it had trouble and that was with an Academy Tempest's decals. They were complete buggers and i ended up using Mr Mark Softer which is quite a lot hotter, even then the bally things took multiple applications.

With this one they all went on nicely and the only ones I used something prior to decal placement were the gun port patches where I painted some Pledge on first to get the patches to grab and then hit them with Sol to bed them down.

Tomorrow I'll put a coat of Pledge on prior to a panel line wash, although I'll go pretty light with the wash I think as this kit has quite deep panel lines and I also don't like overdoing panel lines and especially in 1/72 as to my eyes it doesn't look realistic if you go overboard with them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small progress report and actually 95% done I'd say.

Panel lines have received a sludge wash, undercarriage, prop and pitot tube attached and matt varnish applied. Generally I'm happy, there's some very small amounts of silvering which I'll rectify with some brushed colours. The metal end of the pitot tube needs painting and pastels and silver chipping still to do as well. And last but not least the IFF antennae which I'll make from smoke coloured invisible thread.

Sorry the photos are a bit rubbish quality-wise but I was rushing a bit and the light here is fading fast (joys of living inside the Arctic Circle). Should have the old girl all sewn up over the weekend though.

0RR5X80.jpg

6R9FvNj.jpg

• Like 6

On 25/10/2018 at 21:06, Kitchen Modeller said:

Ah decals - such a fun job. Long and tedious with the constant impending feeling of imminent disaster. But nearly always worth the effort - they always look so much better when dressed in their colours.  She’s coming together nicely mate... did you acquire specific decals for the plane you’re building? (485 squadron)

That has to be the best quote I have read about decaling yet. You got the feeling so right.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 2

Hi Greg,

If truth be told it is sitting a touch up on the port side but in the flesh it's not really noticeable - joys of the camera picking up every little thing. It's not enough for me to try and refit or fill it though, not worth the kerfuffle!  

Edited by Smithy

Yes I know what you mean. I've almost got to the point of taking a photo to check for problems. My planes look great to me, but in a photo they look second or even third rate. 

Still, yours is a nice looking Spitfire and I like the information you gave about it.

• Thanks 1