Dornier 17E/F wing details

plasticpilot

I am building a Do 17E based on the ICM Do215.  Quite a lot to do and I know there is  Hobbycraft E/F.  However it is very poor with shape issues and showing its age.  Also it commands silly prices at the moment.  Main work is on the engines, nacelles and the front fuselage, using Falcon Clearvax.  

The bit I am struggling with is the underside of the outer wing panels.  Looking at photos of the hobbycraft one they appear to be fabric covered?  The panel/rib lines?  are very different to the 215.  The upper wing is basically the same.  I have the Airdoc and Zum Modell books but cannot pin this down.  Anyone got some info?

Thanks,

4 hours ago, plasticpilot said:

Quite a lot to do and I know there is  Hobbycraft E/F.  However it is very poor with shape issues and showing its age.  Also it commands silly prices at the moment.  Main work is on the engines, nacelles and the front fuselage, using Falcon Clearvax.  

Quite a lot - even more than you anticipate. It' something like building the Beaufort using the Beaufighter kit. Or the A-36 using the P-51H bits.

The amount of work you have to put into this task will surely exceed any "silly" price the Hobbycraft kit fetches now.

4 hours ago, plasticpilot said:

The bit I am struggling with is the underside of the outer wing panels.  Looking at photos of the Hobbycraft one they appear to be fabric covered? 

The panel/rib lines?  Are very different to the 215.  The upper wing is basically the same. 

The main problem with wing is not its fabric covering (here you're right) - whole wing has only the same outline, but the rag-covered one features the engine nacelles much closer to the fuselage centreline. When Dornier gave up on the vintage BMW VI engines with their tiny props he had to move the engines outboards due to the larger prop dia needed for the BMW and Bramo radials. Fortunately fitting the DB601s to Do 215 didn't require such a surgery to be undertaken once again. AFAIK roughly half of the Do-17Ks for Yugoslavia (probably the German-built ones) featured the rag wing and tightly spaced nacelles, while the later ones had metal-clad wings and widely spaced engines (althought the GR14K engines in all of them were basically the same).

Thus you can easily build the Do-17Z from the Do-215 kit (and vice versa) as this is exactly the same aircraft - the 215 name appears only because Z is the last letter of German alphabet. You can also try to build Do-17Ka3, M, P or S, as they feature metal-clad wings and the same nacelle layout as Z and 215 - only the front fuselage is different. But building the E/F or Kb1/Ka2 is (for me at least) not worth bothering with.

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by KRK4m
misprint found
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Hobbycraft kit, aside from price issues there are some interesting build notes here http://www.olddogsplanes.com/olddogsbananafix.htm The write implies some serious accuracy issues based on comparison to the Kangaro drawings. The link leads back to the main site and there is a lot of stuff on 1/48 Dornier kits and builds. See here http://www.olddogsplanes.com/17.htm

A challenging path whatever way you choose to go John!

Terry

PS Good to see you are actually making a kit again!

Edited by Terry1954