Hawk Cockpit Question

Uncle Pete

I remember the days when plastic kits came with text instructions clarifying the diagrams... Locate and cement fernackle pin (A13) to drangle cylinder valve (B9)...  At least you had a clue what the object in your tweezers was.  So, while mocking up the office of Airfix A2005B, 50th Anniversary Red Arrow Hawk to see if it all fits (and it does), I've bumped into this mysterious part...

thumbnail (1)

3E is an acrylic part that has no visible "seat" on which to set it and appears in no further diagrams after placement.  It seems to be intended to block access to and protect the instructor's controls but doesn't seem to want to settle anywhere naturally.  I've had a good poke around Gooogleland but quite fruitless.  If I knew what it was I'd have more of a shot of knowing where to put it... Even if that "where" is the bin.  (Fortunately there are a couple of days of glue-setting and touch-up paint-drying before I have to commit).   I'm rather optimistic about the way the office is going so far and don't want to mess it up.  If anybody who has built this can fill me in I'd be awfully grateful.

8 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

photo links

Thanks Trevor (and what took you so long?!😛)  Those were among my previous pokes but nothing is from the right angle.  And, yes, that link is a doozy... Complex enough to launch the BFR with a skeleton staff!  The bit fixed to the canopy doesn't seem to go all the way down.  I reckon if they have it to protect the controls, the pilot can chuck his golf clubs in the back seat and get a few holes in after the gig.

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Richard E said:

probably designed to protect the occupant of the rear seat from the blast of the front cockpit's ejector seat

That makes more sense than my golf clubs hypothesis.  Hadn't thought of the ejector seats.  That's what I meant about the text in the instructions.... Now at least I know what it is.  I may cut it down so it hangs like the examples in Trev's pictures.  For once I'm trying to get one together without 50% busking.  Now I'm thinking it has something to do with the white stripe over the top of the canopy that isn't marked on the canopy itself.  Thing are starting to fall together now.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

That makes more sense than my golf clubs hypothesis.  Hadn't thought of the ejector seats.  That's what I meant about the text in the instructions.... Now at least I know what it is.  I may cut it down so it hangs like the examples in Trev's pictures.  For once I'm trying to get one together without 50% busking.  Now I'm thinking it has something to do with the white stripe over the top of the canopy that isn't marked on the canopy itself.  Thing are starting to fall together now.  Thanks.

The "white stripe" is probably the miniature detonating cord (MDC) which is used to shatter the canopy before the ejector seats are "punched" through it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

’epic’ is the adjective I’m looking for here!

Blimey, that's not a thread it's a novel!  I'm thirteen pages in so far... That geezer doesn't mess about!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

It's a screen between the two cockpits and is probably designed to protect the occupant of the rear seat from the blast of the front cockpit's ejector seat during the ejection sequence.

Also protects either crew member if the canopy gets penetrated by bird strike.

Shaun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

... Now I'm thinking it has something to do with the white stripe over the top of the canopy that isn't marked on the canopy itself. ...

If that stripe goes from one side, over the top to other side; its the sealing on that screen. Paint the edge a creamy-white

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

If that stripe goes from one side, over the top to other side; its the sealing on that screen. Paint the edge a creamy-white

AHA!  I think you've just made my life a whole lot easier.  I was wondering how the devil I was going to mask the canopy with no guidance and get that stripe symmetrical.

I painted the edge of the screen Humbrol 103 on these Hawks

BAe%20Hawk%2C%20%232%2C%2007s-M.jpg

BAe%20Hawk%2C%20%231%2C%2018s-M.jpg

If you've not figured it out yet; the screen fits on the forward slopey bit of the rear instrument panel cover piece. Make sure its pushed right down and its angle, and the angle of its edge are correct or your canopy won't fit on

• Like 3

Hello Uncle Pete!

This "mysterious" part is indeed a wind shield to protect the rear seat occupant during an ejection. It's main function is to provide comfortable conditions to some degree in the rear cockpit if the canopy is either detonated or otherwise shattered.

The "wind shield" is fixed to the main canopy in the real thing.

Two photos for you:

bd97e8d9-fe19-45c3-94db-85b67b6244b9.JPG

e9346a09-9f17-4243-b152-0846bd10cf8c.JPG

I shot these photos at our maintenance hangar and although I wasn't in a hurry I couldn't get the white balance right. So the colours aren't especially accurate.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

You can get rid of the lengthy link easily. Write something clever like: Click here for the photo. Then highlight the word "here" and click on the symbol that looks like a chain (it's just to the left of the symbol that looks like a quotation mark. That will open up a window where you can paste the long, complex link into the box labelled "URL". You'll end up with this in your post:

Click here for the photo.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1