Lancaster Mk B I/III Question, Tail Fairing

Airborne SF

I am building the Hasegawa version of the Lancaster Bomber, billed as either a Mk I or a Mk III.  As I understand it (and I am definitely not an expert on Lancs) the only difference between the two was the engine,  Rolls Royce Merlins in the Mk I and Packard Merlins in the Mk III.  Please correct me if I have anything wrong on my assumption.

The question comes up on the fairing on the rear of the fuselage just forward of the rear turret.  I have seen photos of aircraft in my research that show a fairing that follows the lines of the fuselage all the way back to the turret, and I have also seen photos that show the flared fairing that expands outward just before the turret.

Can anyone please enlighten my as to the development of the fairing.  Was it random, or did it start on the early units and then fade out or vice versa?  Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Hi

just a random thought 

if it was just on the early ones, could the difference be on the ordered manchester aircraft that were produced as lancasters ? 

a serial number research would prove yeah or neah 

cheers

jerry

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

just a random thought 

if it was just on the early ones, could the difference be on the ordered manchester aircraft that were produced as lancasters ? 

a serial number research would prove yeah or neah 

cheers

jerry

As the Manchester had a different rear turret it's quite likely the fairing was found to be necessary soon after production switched over. I haven't found anything definite so far though.

This probably won't help, but I remember in the 70's that the BBMF had to make a fairing for PA474 which was then covered in fabric around the rear turret. This indicates that a very late FE Lancaster wasn't made with the fairing.

I believe the fairing was added to prevent wind buffeting of the tail turret. PA474 was originally fitted with front and rear turrets when built but these were removed and spaces faired over. She has subsequently been changed back as it were.