Heinkel He 280.

tank152

Here is my next project, it is the Profipack boxing of one of Eduard's  first kits I believe. 

20181012_221554

Great box art I reckon.

I was intending just building the kit as is just for quickness, but in the end I couldn't resist adding some ribs and wires etc to the fuselage sides to complement the p/e supplied in the kit.

Port,

20181012_220615

Starbord,

20181012_220527

The kit ejector seat was a little basic, I believe there was a resin one in the original boxing. Luckily Quickboost produce one intended for the Tamiya He162 was is near enough for me.

20181012_130249

With a bit of tweaking here and there it fit into the tub ok.

20181012_221045

20181012_221012

I purchase some lead putty from a fishing tackle shop to use for the nose weight.

20181012_130047

To be continued.

Tim.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Dennis.

Thought i'd give that putty a go as I couldn't find any one with any of Ulcshi Van der Rosten 3 Green lead putty here in the Uk.

Anyway. Moving on, the fuselage was closed up.

20181008_203247

20181008_203324

With it being one of Eduard's early efforts the fit wasn't the best so quite a bit of work was involved on the seams hence the primer along them.

The wing/fuselage joint was particularly bad and involved copious amounts of CA/talc to fill the gaps and 3 attempts to get them looking half acceptable. It was a good job it was 3rd time luck as I was starting to loose interest, fast!

Next thing I did was grind out the moulded in Nav lights and replace them with a pieces of painted clear sprue, cover them with UV activated clear glue and sand/polish them up.

Port.

20181009_200604

Starboard. 

20181009_200731

The glue has lots of uses for modelling. 

Ready for primer.

20181010_160715

It was my intention to model it with the canopy open however the sliding part didn't fit over the fuselage spine to good and I didn't want to risk tacking it down with CA afterwards only for it to ping off taking the surrounding paint along with it! 

In primer.

20181010_19293320181010_193102

Time for some colour, nothing exciting RLM02 all over.

More soon.

• Like 9

Cheers for the complement, and thanks to all that have hit the like button. 

Yes the UV resin has lots of potential.

I've had a couple of short sessions painting. 

These are the paints i'm going to be using.

20181012_131034

Since taking the pic i've managed to find a bottle of Gunze RLM02 which will also be thrown into the mix.

I started with the tail unit.

20181014_204019

Using the Mr Paint as the base colour I then went over different panels to achieve some variation.

up the elevator and sprayed

that a slightly different shade.

20181014_204045

The result.

20181014_203920

Then made a start on the fuselage, using the same techique i've started to pick out different panels.

20181014_203746

20181014_203809

Will carry on with the painting next weekend. 

Tim.

• Like 5

Cheers  H,

I bought those AK paints at Telford last year. This is the first time i've used these colours although i've used them to paint a Meng World War Toons Tiger! They're no different to Tamiya or Gunze so use Mr Levelling Thinners to thin them with. I just picked them out as they are in the 02 ball park. Hopefully when i've finished it won't look like i've just plunged the kit nose first into a pot of  RLM 02 paint! 🙂

How are those 109s coming along?

• Like 1

On 13/10/2018 at 11:44, tank152 said:

Ulcshi Van der Rosten 3 Green lead putty

qu'est que that? :hmmm: I suppose I should :search:but seeing as I was going to say :goodjob: anyway, I thought I'd tag it on. ^_^

1 minute ago, colin said:

Well if you'd taken the time to read through my thread you'd have noticed that is what I did use, and actually it didn't work out any cheaper!

4 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Well if you'd taken the time to read through my thread you'd have noticed that is what I did use, and actually it didn't work out any cheaper!

And if you had read mine you'ed see I wasn't refering to what you used, but what was asked

1 minute ago, Mike said:

...and if everyone had read mine, you'd know that I didn't know what any of it was. :)

😁

It makes me smile when some tight wad comes along thinking just because something is produced for modelling it is some sort of a rip off.

I posted  link for some Hiq scribing tape not so long ago only to be told by some other skin flint that Dymo tape does the job just as well and cheaper. Sorry it does not, it doesn't stick well, it doesn't conform well and you certainly can't get 30 metres of Dymo tape for £5.50

1 hour ago, tank152 said:

It makes me smile when some tight wad comes along thinking just because something is produced for modelling it is some sort of a rip off.

Sadly, it's not unusual for something "for modellers" to be a rip-off, so it's hardly surprising :shrug:  Lead fly-tying wire springs to mind quickest - man unrolls 5m of wire off a spool that cost £1.99, cuts it into 1m lengths, pops it in a ziplok bag and charges £2.99 per metre for the privilege  :owww:

:offtopic:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sadly, it's not unusual for something "for modellers" to be a rip-off, so it's hardly surprising :shrug:  Lead fly-tying wire springs to mind quickest - man unrolls 5m of wire off a spool that cost £1.99, cuts it into 1m lengths, pops it in a ziplok bag and charges £2.99 per metre for the privilege  :owww:

Fly tying, that was one of my past hobbies, i've still got all the materials, apart from the lead wire, wonder what that got used for!

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Isn't that's what is called "corkage" Mike ?!!  Enjoying the work on this model too

By the way I have never heard of uv curing clear resin. Who, what, where, why and how? Sounds interesting. Can someone open a new thread on this maybe.

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Isn't that's what is called "corkage" Mike ?!!  Enjoying the work on this model too

By the way I have never heard of uv curing clear resin. Who, what, where, why and how? Sounds interesting. Can someone open a new thread on this maybe.

Thanks John.

Theres a thread of sorts here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tank152 said:

Cheers  H,

How are those 109s coming along?

OKish of sorts. The G-2 is built and I started painting however it wasn’t going the way I wanted..it’s now stripped back to bare plastic and about to get another primer coat. The F-4 is about 30% built. Might stick some photos up on a mini WIP :hmmm:  

That paint work of yours looks really classy, difficult to make single color schemes interesting without becoming unrealistic but I think you’ve nailed this one  :goodjob:

Funny you should say that, i've sanded this back to the primer in places as I wasn't happy with the paint work. A few years ago that would have put me on a downer as i'd have classed it as a major setback. Experience has shown me anything paint related is fixable.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

I'm going to mask a few panels up yet for a little more variation.

Once again thanks for your compliments, also for all of those who hit the like button 👍

Tim.

• 1 month later...

Been working on this again recently.

Finished off the paint work with a little post shading etc.

20181125_175132

Detailed the undercarriage legs.

20181212_152324

Using copper wire, brass tubing for the brake lines and punched plasticard for the bolt heads.

Then applied decals.

20181212_110036

At this rate i'll actually finish 2 models this year!

Tim.

• Like 2