Raaf Spitfire mkviii

Joss

Not sure which one to go with but I'm going to build a mkviii spitfire from Eduard excellent Aussie eight set.

I've already built Clive Caldwell's machine so I'm having to decide I have a spare kit so can build either it's just which one to do first!

I want to do a shark mouth so either George scrimgeours, Bobby gibbes or Bruce Watson's machines.

The other choice will be Norm turnbulls machine with the grey elephant!

Here's the box art anyway

IMG_20180924_184240

I was going to post a picture of the different pictures but my phone's playing up and keeps clearing this box when change to flicker so soon they will follow.

All comments are welcome with any suggestions

Thanks for looking

Joss

• Like 4

Thanks Dennis I like your thinking!

I do like Georges red spinner machine and I'm leaning towards it, there's some fantastic photos in the accompanying box.

The only thing is I'm reluctant to use the shark mouth!

Also there's a nice on picture of  bruce taking of with a slipper tank on, tempting... 

Solution buy more overtures... Darn you Eduard

Sorry for the ramble

Joss

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Joss....with a second build? (I've forgotten, but that's normal)

I've got the set kit so will be following this one with real interest.

I've looked at the schemes in the kit as well and like you I couldn't decide, may have to get some oversprue sets as well.......if they're still available.

Good luck with this build, will be looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Joss....with a second build? (I've forgotten, but that's normal)

I've got the set kit so will be following this one with real interest.

I've looked at the schemes in the kit as well and like you I couldn't decide, may have to get some oversprue sets as well.......if they're still available.

Good luck with this build, will be looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Thanks rich abit late to this one! Only the first I've been hiding in the p39 build but I'm at the airbrush bottle neck so starting something else to join it ;)

I think it's the only way I want to make at least 10 of the avaible options! A brilliant set and I found for a steal at £40! 

Thanks see you at the finish line

Joss

• Like 1

Right here's a picture of the sprues.

IMG_20181012_224745

Ive started getting all the subassembly together and will show pictures then. 

It almost falls together, almost feels like cheating...

More to follow very shortly!

Thanks

Joss

• Like 2

On 16/10/2018 at 00:34, trickyrich said:

hmmm I think I may have to get a set or 2 of the Overtrees for mine!

I've been trying to work out the cheapest way and tbh here in the UK the cheapest option is to by a weekend edition through fleabay, it works out cheaper than buying through eduard with £10 shipping!

Also that way you get scrimgeours spitfire decals. I think you only get one shark mouth for 3 options in the Aussie eight!

Then theres photoetch and the treaded wheels...

Happy hunting

Joss

• Like 2

I am working on this work schedule busy so model time is limited!

Cockpit is painted and Im buttoning her up now!

Here's a few photos of the cockpit not perfect but I find it's next to invisible so not to fussed!

IMG_20181023_210526

IMG_20181023_210549

IMG_20181023_210557

IMG_20181023_210827

I relieved that I haven't painted the back part silver but it won't be seen so eh.

Any comments welcome and appreciated

Thanks for looking

Joss

• Like 7

15 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oooh, nice work!

Looking forward to your awesome sharkmouth Spitfire!

Thanks Dnl! Hopefully I can satisfy expectations and make a shark mouth but no guarantees so many choices!!

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Joss,

I have the 1/72 weekend kit. I hope it goes together as well as yours.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg I've heard the 1:72 go together well aswell!

Will do!!

Thanks

Joss

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost a month has past and what do I have to show nothing really well...

She's been primed in white to show any flaws.

IMG_20181106_174135

There's a few seems namely the fuselage top and the nose as you can see from the filler.

I thought I would be cleaver and order a new cowling but when I got it wasn't to happy so just used the kit one.

I've also painted the undersides medium sea grey.

IMG_20181115_115832

Minimal tonal variation enough so it doesn't look dead. Going to build up with earthy tones around wheel for a weather finished.

That's all for now folks

Joss

• Like 8

Joss, nice subject matter and great progress so far. I’m starting to go through (hopefully) all of these GB builds and am starting to sense that perhaps I’m not the only one that has taken an extended break. I wonder if it’s something to do with this time of the year, everyone wanted to finish things off before Christmas? Anyway, you’re doing a great job of a smashing kit. Looking forward to the rest. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Joss, nice subject matter and great progress so far. I’m starting to go through (hopefully) all of these GB builds and am starting to sense that perhaps I’m not the only one that has taken an extended break. I wonder if it’s something to do with this time of the year, everyone wanted to finish things off before Christmas? Anyway, you’re doing a great job of a smashing kit. Looking forward to the rest. 

Cheers. Dave 

Thanks Dave much appreciated!! I wish my reason was exciting but it's just work work work!! I think everyone has a break from modeling, I find it helps as it lets one come back with fresh eyes for the project in hand!! (Hopefully)

Thanks

Joss

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks fellas, eight abit more progress I hope to get this done but not really sure!

Not enough time in the day!

The camo is done now it's just a case of adding markings here's a few pictures.

IMG_20181210_222957

Gloss then add the remaining decals hope to get this done!

Cheers

Joss

• Like 3

gosh I have missed some of your updates. :doh:

that cockpit area looks great, you did some nice work there. From their everything just seemed to fall together, she does look great.

Are you painting the insignias or just giving them a nice white base?

On 11/12/2018 at 21:59, trickyrich said:

gosh I have missed some of your updates. :doh:

that cockpit area looks great, you did some nice work there. From their everything just seemed to fall together, she does look great.

Are you painting the insignias or just giving them a nice white base?

There hasnt been that many so I wouldnt worry to much😉

They are lovely kits these Eduard one just a little filling here and there!

I would really like to paint tje insignias but my circle cutter doesn't quite go small enough, so for the minute its just to cut for where the raf roundels where over painted. I may try to free hand a circle haha