More Britannia questions

Hello Britannia experts,

Having looked at my Mach 2 Britannia kit, and started the clean up for assembly, I’ve noticed that the outboard nacelle tips are not the same shape as the inboard ones. I can’t find a close up picture on the web. Anyone have a closeup to share? Also, I’ve noticed the BOAC Britannia 312 has the oval emergency exit, but the CP Britannia has square. Was BOAC the only airline that had the oval exits from the production run (not re-sold)?

I found a couple of dimensional issues as well. Wingtips are not wide enough, they should be 30” from aileron to tip, and the fuselage is too short. Both easily fixed.

TW

Hiya Tony .. 

I hope this might be able to solve your problem. Here is a picture I took out of the window of Britannia 102 G-ANBK at Newcastle Airport in I think late 1970, or maybe early 1971. At the time the last of the BKS Britannia's was being used as a backup for the Tridents on the London-Newcastle route.  A friend and I were plane spotting at the airport and asked if we could go onboard as it would probably be the last chance before it got scrapped. Surprisingly they allowed us to go on board, walk around and take pictures. You can see the rear of the outboard nacelle, apologies for it being cut off like that but who was to know back then it would be needed now. 

44374085645_60f18a852b_b.jpg

Thanks Steve and Rob,

I am happy to see that there is indeed a difference in the nacelle fairings. Good job I didn’t remove the overhang in the kit before checking. Looks like the emergency exits on the Monarch Britannia in the walk around are rectangular.

cheers,

TW

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, Tony Whittingham said:

not the same shape

That photo above isn't a 312, its a 102. The cowling panels are different , more of them and might be more differences . 

On the 312 The back end of the inboard engine cowling  is different on both 102 and 312 ,longer . Top panels weren't  interchangeable , different shape .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Emergency exits! Check photos of your chosen subject. Oval hatches seem to be the most common especially if RAF or ex service. Most oval type appear to be separated by two windows, whereas the square type all appear to be side by side. The square windows may have been peculiar to airframes originally built for US airlines ( Northeast and Capital ) but not delivered. 

Keith. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britman said:

Check photos of your chosen subject

Great advice ,so many things can be changed for customers and by modifications / updates issued .