BF 109 - Airfix 1:72

I know what you mean - I'm pretty new to a lot of the techniques being used - I took a few disasters before I realised that lacquers and acrylics don't always mix very well - the clear coats are another minefield - I recently put a lacquer based clear gloss over an oil weathered model and it totally destroyed the finish - this is it here: 

Airfix Fouga Magister - 1:72 - 2

It might look kind of okay but it looked so much better before the gloss coat - well as long as I learn from these mistakes I don't beat myself up too much.  Like you, I'm also now just using acrylics for the main paintwork and enamels and oils for the weathering and effects - what I'm learning now is when to step back from a model and realise that it actually doesn't need any further work... :)

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
  • Like 1

Thanks for that - bloody mast snapped when I was removing it from the sprue. I’ve since replaced it with a sharpened down toothpick. Looks okay I’ll post a photo soon. When I showed this model down at my local model club meeting this was the biggest criticism I received - however it’s a very subjective thing - some don’t like it because it’s not an accurate representation which is fair enough. However many do like it because it really brings out the details on the model and basically just looks cool. It just depends on what you’re trying to achieve.  I think you should do whatever you think personally- at the end of the day, you’re just model making for yourself- so you only need to please yourself!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 11:00 PM, Kitchen Modeller said:

I know what you mean - I'm pretty new to a lot of the techniques being used - I took a few disasters before I realised that lacquers and acrylics don't always mix very well - the clear coats are another minefield - I recently put a lacquer based clear gloss over an oil weathered model and it totally destroyed the finish - this is it here: 

Airfix Fouga Magister - 1:72 - 2

It might look kind of okay but it looked so much better before the gloss coat - well as long as I learn from these mistakes I don't beat myself up too much.  Like you, I'm also now just using acrylics for the main paintwork and enamels and oils for the weathering and effects - what I'm learning now is when to step back from a model and realise that it actually doesn't need any further work... :)

Hm, that's odd. I've not had any problems with lacquers clears and acrylics, it has actually become my preferred method recently. My problem with mainly with enamels, or at least the one I was using that didn't seem to dry properly even after 4 days.