BF 109 - Airfix 1:72

Hi all - like many here, I’m recently returned to the hobby after about 30 years away - bought a model for my kids and rediscovered how much I enjoy fiddling and painting plastic. This is my 7th build all up and the first one I’m reasonably happy with. First one painted with my new airbrush which I’m very happy with. Airfix kit - quite recent I think, painted with Tamiya acrylics. Used oils for the weathering. Nothing on the work that’s posted here but a step in the right direction for me I hope! Thanks for any feedback and apologies for the smart phone photography. 

bf-109bf-109-2bf-109-5

bf-109-4

bf-109-6

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
  • Like 52

Nice and skillful build.  Good photos too. 

It's a great kit isn't it?
It's missing the hakenkreuze, which you could source from many places, for completeness if not 'political correctness'.

One minor point, a personal preference of mine, is that the panel lines are just too visible.

The panel lines on the real thing are all but invisible at any above a few meters distance and I think that at 1/72nd scale it's just not 'right' to emphasise them.

And yes, it is my personal preference, if you are happy, I'm happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that fellas - @FatFlyHalf - I concede your point about the panel lines - I'm still very much in the learning stage regarding everything - I had terrible trouble with getting panel lines to show up at all on previous builds so probably went overboard on this one - I agree that very dark panel lines are probably not always the best route on a 1:72 model. @neil5208 I didn't realise that the swastikas were missing from the decal sheet - if they were there I would have put them on... I have a few other Luftwaffe kits in my stash so I'm sure I can find a couple of spares. 

• Like 1

:yahoo: ... For only your 7th build after a 30 year break thats really good work. Not sure which Cellular you have but your photos are pretty good. Only thing i can think of with the photos is a bit more light. Either brighter and indirect lighting with bulbs to reduce the reflection, or possibly outside with sunlight. That being said My Iphone is all i have and they have a decent editing suite for photos. 

• Thanks 1

Don't be too hard on yourself... you've made a great model here that rivals some of the others I've seen! The kit looks nice -- I've been impressed with the engineering and detail on the new Airfix kits (I'm not crazy about the extra deep panel lines, but I can overlook or fix those). Great job, and welcome back to the hobby!

• Thanks 1

That is a very nice build of the 109.  I am a fan of panel lines, may not be 100% accurate but for me it gives a model some additional life.

I use my Samsung phone for some photos, the HDR mode works very well.

Welcome back to the family!

Wooohoo!!!

Welcome back after 30 years :)

I was the same

Bought a kit for my 5 year old son for his birthday so he "made" something with his hands not just stared at a stupid computer screen.

Reality......

The kids don't get it........the dads get hooked (on the old childhood joy) and the house gets filled with a massive new stash, aftermarket stuff, paints, new air brushes, compressors, decal fix solution, washes, finishes, pigments, research materials, scribing tools, rivet tools, rivet counters, weathering agents, liquid glues, super glues, solvents, polishes, cloths, random clamps, tapes, sticky things, masks, putties and sanding things

109 looks superb by the way......can't wait to see the next one  ;)

Cheers

Bruce

• Haha 1

@Winenut' You pretty much nailed it - lol - I've spent a small fortune on new kits, supplies and airbrush in the the last few months -  but all very worth it, it must be said - I couldn't be happier.  Kids, gave up interest on building pretty quickly but still like to see daily progress... Thanks for your kind words

Very nice, I did this one quite awhile ago but I really screwed it up in the finals stages. I mean, its alright but the clear coats are kind of screwed up. 

IMG-20181014-144103.jpg

I really want to do it again but with the Eduard 1/48 one. I really like the Franz von Werra paint scheme. 

Edited by CzarPeppers
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CzarPeppers said:

Very nice, I did this one quite awhile ago but I really screwed it up in the finals stages. I mean, its alright but the clear coats are kind of screwed up. 

IMG-20181014-144103.jpg

I really want to do it again but with the Eduard 1/48 one. I really like the Franz von Werra paint scheme. 

That looks pretty good from here - at least from this picture - looks like a good build and a really good paint job. 
I know what you mean about messing up clear coats - put a final gloss coat on a finished model a few weeks ago and it totally destroyed the finish and weathering - not sure what to do with it - might go back and try to tidy it up at some stage.

It is a very cool paint scheme - it's why I decided to do this model. Doing it at 1;48 with an Eduard kit? - it will be amazing - can't wait to see it!!!

spelling
  • Like 1

Must say, I really like that.

You're actually selling it a bit short, I reckon.

Your weathering and finishing looks very realistic (though only my unauthoritative opinion).

I have the kit in my stash - must drag it out and have a go.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Twobyfour said:

A very nice build indeed.  Well done.

I must get one.  Is this the E4?  Does anyone know the box number this new kit?

Thanks for your nice comments - it’s this one: https://thcc.nz/products/airfix-01008-1-72-messerschmitt-bf-109e?variant=12519323828297&utm_campaign=gs-2018-08-30&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

It’s a great kit especially for the price... enjoy.

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2018 at 4:40 PM, Kitchen Modeller said:

That looks pretty good from here - at least from this picture - looks like a good build and a really good paint job. 
I know what you mean about messing up clear coats - put a final gloss coat on a finished model a few weeks ago and it totally destroyed the finish and weathering - not sure what to do with it - might go back and try to tidy it up at some stage.

It is a very cool paint scheme - it's why I decided to do this model. Doing it at 1;48 with an Eduard kit? - it will be amazing - can't wait to see it!!!

Yeah its really when you get in close that you notice anything. I was still messing around with what sort of clear coats work best for me at this point and switching from brush painting to airbrushing, and the problem seemed to result from the brushed gloss enamel clear (plus that coat getting really screwed up with the oil paint wash) and then the final airbrushed flat acrylic. I was still a bit of a newb.

These days I basically use all acrylics until the weathering/filters/washes stage at which point I switch to oils or enamel, seems to be how most people do it these days. Well, I've recently started using lacquer clear coats that I've been extremely happy with. The Alclad ones specifically.    

• Like 1