Revell Victor... Just how bad is it?

Harry_the_Spider

I've built three of them over the years and I've never had much of a problem with it as a build, true it has issues but most kits do, if you want something out of the box the box that looks like a Victor and doesn't cost a fortune then get one. You can dodge the intake problem by fitting FOD guards.

x7C0Gq.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I've built three of them over the years and I've never had much of a problem with it as a build, true it has issues but most kits do, if you want something out of the box the box that looks like a Victor and doesn't cost a fortune then get one. You can dodge the intake problem by fitting FOD guards.

x7C0Gq.jpg

Very nice conversion John, B.1 Radar Recce Flight Wyton.  Which conversion kit was that ?

Dennis

On 10/18/2018 at 10:17 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

I do like my Italeri kits. You get exactly what you pay for!

I have the Italeri 1/72 Tomcat on my desk at work and it is probably my favourite build since coming back to modelling. Having read the current WIP about some Korean POS that cost x4 the price and has x10 the fit issues I think I'll stick with my philosophy.

All I ask for in a kit is something that will go together. I accept that detail and accuracy levels may be a bit "off" at the older or lower price end of the market, but it is inexcusable for a manufacturer to make two halves of a moulding, irrespective of detail levels, that don’t go together. Have a read of my whinge about the Mistercraft Hunter that earned me a telling off from the Moderators!

The italeri Tomcat is not bad, other Italeri kits however are well known to be hard to put together. I have several Italeri kits in the stash but this company is not really the first coming to mind when the words.

Regarding Mistercraft, they make some of the crudest injection moulded kits in the market, no surprise that they don't fit well

Done an Italeri F14, Mitchell, Phantom, Jaguar and Flanker. All have been OK when you take into consideration the price and level of detail. Got their F15, F18, A10 and Harrier GR3 in the stash. I wouldn't want to pay more than about £15 for any of them.

The MisterCr*p Hunter was an absolute shocker, not just the fit but the design. There was no way that it could ever go together as intended. Somebody must have done a test build and realised that, for instance, the underwing pylons fouled the undercarriage, and they made a conscious decision to do nothing about it. The decal material is too fragile and the plastic extremely reactive to modelling cement.

The same with this Tomcat on the WIP. The tops of the pylons are flat, yet the profile of the underwing is curved. They must have known this yet chose to ignore it and sell it anyway for what appears to be a premium price.

Which brings me back to my original post… I’d happily buy something that goes together OK, even if the detail isn’t the most accurate or if it is old and the moulds have worn - I did a re-released Vigilante based on the Airfix tooling earlier in the year where the tool must be 45+ years old, but I knew this when I parted with a massive £8 to buy it. It was worn but it went together because back in 1971 somebody in a drawing office in Maidstone did a proper job.

What I object to is something that is badly designed and should never have got through Quality Control. On an old kit you take the risk, but on a newer one it is inexcusable.

I’ve worked in manufacturing engineering all my life and if something is wrong you shouldn’t send it out of the door. If you do you are treating your customers with contempt.

Ooof… got a bit “preachy” there. Sorry. It would appear that the Matchbox / Revell Victor may be a little dated, but back in the early 1980s the designers did a reasonable job. Can’t wait to muck it up 😉

• Like 1

Victor #2 with the Flightpath resin / photo etch and white metal bits has arrived... Thanks Mike.

1. The Revell one looks sharper.

2. The Matchbox 3 colour mouldings gave me a flashback to 1978.

3. The intake detail is horrific. I suspect that I'll make a set of FOD covers for the one that isn't getting the resin treatment. 

PA223357.jpg

PA223358.jpg

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

The intake detail is horrific. I suspect that I'll make a set of FOB covers for the one that isn't getting the resin treatment. 

Harry, take a close look at the flightpath etch, there should be a set of intake FOD guards on there. Use the open resin intakes on one kit and blank the other kit's intakes with the etch.

6 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

The Matchbox 3 colour mouldings gave me a flashback to 1978.

Not quite that long ago!  It came out in 1983. I purchased one fresh out of the shipping carton at Capitol Models in London the day they arrived in the store.  Crystal Palace tube station.  Great store.  I wonder what ever became of Colin the owner and Mike Appleton the guy running it?

Not quite that long ago!  

Just general multicoloured Matchbox based flashbacks. A yellow and green Tempest, green and brown Hurricanes etc

• Like 2

Does anybody know if after maket jet pipes are available? I’ve had a quick look and found nothing, but this was my first foray into the white metal “Dark Web” so I may not have been searching in the right place.

EDIT/

Just found these

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/brass-internal-tube-support/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJDt6qCk3gIVpbDtCh2tWQYcEAQYAyABEgLyTvD_BwE

So I may have answered my own question.

• 2 weeks later...

Right then… I have two beautifully detailed brass cockpit frames. If I can shape them to fit the fuselages is it possible to take a sheet of clear acetate or something similar and heat form it to follow the inside profiles of the frames using a heat gun on a low setting or a hair drier or even boiling water?

If so, what sort of plastic and where from? Could I use a clear plastic bottle made of thermoplastic?

I don’t want to sand and polish the glazing supplied with the kits as they are the fall back option in case of a cock up with the PE.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:53 PM, Harry_the_Spider said:

Does anybody know if after maket jet pipes are available? I’ve had a quick look and found nothing, but this was my first foray into the white metal “Dark Web” so I may not have been searching in the right place.

EDIT/

Just found these

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/brass-internal-tube-support/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJDt6qCk3gIVpbDtCh2tWQYcEAQYAyABEgLyTvD_BwE

So I may have answered my own question.

I don't know if you're still interested, I have a few jet pipe sets left over from when I built Victor a few years ago. They are turned from stainless steel and heat treated to give a burnt/annealed steel finish.

Here is a link to my WIP showing the Jet Pipes, go to page 8, reply #199 . 

Cheers, gazza l

• Like 1