Revell Victor... Just how bad is it?

Harry_the_Spider

7 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

And there’s another indication of the problem with online discussions.  I don’t have my knickers in anything even remotely like a twist.  I didn’t say he was directing it at me, if you had actually read what I posted.  

You people astound me.

The choice of words in your text certainly sound like you do, Sonoran.

Anyway I'm enjoying revell's old and new 747s (the 747-400 journey and the 747-8i destination) so it is a case of go with what will make you happy Harry.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick up for the Airfix Vulcan and Revell (nee Matchbox) Victor.

They were both products of their time: the early 1980s and I was absolutely delighted to see them bot arrive.  Up until then, apart from the near-mythical Frog V-Bombers, there were zero V-Bomber kits available unless you were skilled/ambitious/mad enough to try Contrail vacforms.  We have to be very careful not to compare modern models such as Airfix's Valiant and Victor with those earlier creations.  It's like comparing a Jaguar XF with a Ford Granada.

I'm sure the Revell model is fine if you're willing to accept that it's a 35-year-old model that is sold at a considerably lower price than Airfix's newer masterpiece.

Rant over, I'm on holiday, so expect more :)

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sonoran said:

You have no idea what my skills are, what my motivations are, nor anything else about me.

10 hours ago, Sonoran said:

I don’t have my knickers in anything even remotely like a twist.  I didn’t say he was directing it at me, if you had actually read what I posted.  

You people astound me.

I did, hence the response.

Those knickers must be really hurting by now.

Chris.

Can we all just calm down a bit? It's just an old model, and people can have different opinions from each other - that's inevitable, and also just fine. How they express them here however is important. Polite and respectful is key, or things get a little difficult for those with poor manners.

• Like 5

That may be tricky to get by my wife. I'm still trying to work out where I'm going to put one of the damn things, let alone recreate the airfield at Ascension! 

This bit of Operation C**p Victor hasn't been 100% thought through.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

That may be tricky to get by my wife. I'm still trying to work out where I'm going to put one of the damn things, let alone recreate the airfield at Ascension! 

This bit of Operation C**p Victor hasn't been 100% thought through.

Get it by her thusly. Tell her that a nice gentleman in Britmodeller is giving you a free Revel Victor with Flightpath set, and all you have to do is pay the postage. Drop me a PM and we'll sort it out ;)

• Like 3

So... now I have two Victors. Excellent! I think.

My missus was also quite impressed that I could "win" one by posting pictures of Ron Burgundy and cracking a few jokes. She doesn't know that the combined wingspan of these two is getting on for 4 foot, which strangely enough is the width of the new alcove that has just appeared in our loft conversion. She's up a ladder paining it right now, I can't wait to tell her. It is like the planets have all aligned!

I'll do a parallel build. One OOB, one splattered with whatever aftermarket stuff Mike the Moderator can find down the back of his couch. One in Cammo, one in Pink. 

I was wondering what to do for my "Winter Build". I guess the Dambusters Lanc and B17 combo, both Revell cheapos, will have to wait.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
opps
  • Like 1

:ninja: it's Mike :rolleyes:

What was found was 1 x Franken-Victor kit, one Flightpath set with intakes and PE.  Dunno where the rest of the two kits went, but I have one that's all manner of colours, made up of Matchbox wings & ancillaries, and Revell fuselage halves.  Like I said in PMs, I'll weigh 'em up and get it booked shortlyish. ;)

Other peoples' opinions and attempts to classify people mean less than nothing to me, but when you've accidently built up the sort of stash that many of us have, we need to be a bit more discriminate about what we build if we ever want to get through the things we want to do.

Some people want to find something to fill as much of their time up as possible. Others have very finite time and need to be choosy about what to spend it on.

We cannot measure value the same way because different resources are more or less valuable to different people.

A quick "OOB" build for me will still take a couple of months calendar time from beginning to end. There are projects I want to invest a lot of effort into to get something I am proud of, but I do discriminate. Ultimately I want good models of the subjects I like - if there's a vastly superior starting point for something I'll take it. I have no shortage of other projects I could fill the freed up time with! Several times over if I'm honest with myself.

• Like 2

True. I've only been back to modelling for a couple of years after a 30+ year break. I do tend to have more time in winter, so will attempt something that requires a bit of "effort". In summer I want them to go together easily and be finished in a shorter time frame.

I really never considered this until I looked back at my builds.

I enjoyed the two Matchbox Victors that I built.  Very basic compared to the new Airfix one of course (35 years separate them) but fun to build, the only devil for me was lining up and smoothing all those intake splitters and the canopy isn't a brilliant fit. I really don't know how  the Revell boxing stacks up, I always try and build from the earliest molds that I can.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:57 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

I was wondering whether to get a Revell Victor as they are dirt cheap.

I accept that there are some accuracy issues with the intakes and that the interior detail is somewhat basic, but as long as I end up with a VSH (Victor Shaped Object) I don’t really mind.

However, I’m not interested if it is going to be a fit and filler nightmare, so a bit of real world feedback from someone who has done an OOB build would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HTS

Built this one about 10 years ago, before the Airfix was released.

I'd built Matchbox in 1986, so knew what I was in for.

I don't remember any real problems with either, and am surprised to see no previous photos.

Revell_Victor_K2.jpg

• Like 8