Revell Victor... Just how bad is it?

Harry_the_Spider

I was wondering whether to get a Revell Victor as they are dirt cheap.

I accept that there are some accuracy issues with the intakes and that the interior detail is somewhat basic, but as long as I end up with a VSH (Victor Shaped Object) I don’t really mind.

However, I’m not interested if it is going to be a fit and filler nightmare, so a bit of real world feedback from someone who has done an OOB build would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HTS

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I was wondering whether to get a Revell Victor as they are dirt cheap.

I accept that there are some accuracy issues with the intakes and that the interior detail is somewhat basic, but as long as I end up with a VSH (Victor Shaped Object) I don’t really mind.

However, I’m not interested if it is going to be a fit and filler nightmare, so a bit of real world feedback from someone who has done an OOB build would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HTS

Whether its good or bad isn't the issue, if you have the time and patience to put into it, you will get a superb model as can be seen from the many, many superb builds posted on this site...……………..here a couple built from this site to be going on with(their is kit progress to be found on Britmodeller)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957606-172-matchbox-hp-victor-k2/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002485-revellmatxhbox-victor-is-it-that-bad/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnulrYUiUEA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

It is. I've done a shed load of old kits recently and I fancy one that will go together reasonably well, even if it isn't 100% accurate.

Then, I am afraid, this kit is not for you...………………….wait for the Airfix kit to come down in price

All kits are buildable it's if the modeller wants to put the time and effort into it. I'm the 'not' type now as I don't find that part enjoyable anymore.Must be an age thing, as I think I've got better things to do than fight a build nowadays 🤔

Hello Harry,

I built one using a resin conversion for the intakes. It’s hard work, especially around the nose, and many of the fine details are missing. The only reason I haven’t bought the airfix kit is the presence of my existing build which I am loath to bin. Good luck!

TW

It seems that the original Matchbox versions have come down in price dramatically since the release of the Airfix kit. They may be somewhat better re fit as often moulds deteriorate over time and at least some of the fit issues of Revell boxings may be due to premature mould release. I think the first Revell boxings from some 20 years ago suffered from being stuffed into insufficient-sized boxes, contributing to distorted parts. The latest box is lareger however, I think.

It was poor fitting in the 80s when I built one. By the time it fits, 50% of the surface detail is history.

For me it's firmly in the "not worth my time" category now.

Edited by Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
spelling

Done. Button Pushed.

Thanks for asking the question @Harry_the_Spider as I’d been having similar musings 

You can take the plunge with me...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-1-72-Handley-Page-Victor-K-Mk-2-04326/323096931857?epid=2255340266&hash=item4b3a13ee11:g:maUAAOSwlwRakRmY:rk:2:pf:0

• Like 3

I built one of the Matchbox kits some thirty  (!) Years ago and although it certainly didn't build itself, I ended up with a very presentable Victor. Whith such a large price difference between the Airfix and Matchbox /Revell ii is well worth doing I think. In hind sight , I would separate the guide fairings from the top wing and fit them to the lower wing fairings and clean up the joint before joining the wings together. The other item I gave extra attention was the wind screen, taking care to fair it in carefully so

as to look part of the airframe  ( careful sanding and toothpaste ) . Good luck. 

Keith.  

• Like 1

Interesting discussion: I'd rather spend £15 on a kit and get hours of modelling than shell out £50 on something that's finished in a weekend. But it depends on whether you're a modeller or an assembler. Journey or destination in other words.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Now... you see... now I've gone and bought this...

I have to get a Vulcan too.

You want an early issue Vulcan, the blueprint box. SYAM had 2 in the collectors section of the shop the other week for less than the current distorted release.

https://www.southyorkshireaircraftmuseum.org.uk/shop

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Interesting discussion: I'd rather spend £15 on a kit and get hours of modelling than shell out £50 on something that's finished in a weekend. But it depends on whether you're a modeller or an assembler. Journey or destination in other words.

I respectfully disagree with your characterization.  You’re making a judgement about other people that you have no right to make, nor any basis upon which to make it.    That’s the problem with online modeling “discussion” groups like this.  You have no idea what my skills are, what my motivations are, nor anything else about me.

Edited by Sonoran
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

I respectfully disagree with your characterization.  You’re making a judgement about other people that you have no right to make, nor any basis upon which to make it.    That’s the problem with online modeling “discussion” groups like this.  You have no idea what my skills are, what my motivations are, nor anything else about me.

It was a general observation based on Sabrejet's personal preference for a given subject. I don't believe it was directed at you in any way shape or form, neither was it any form of characterization..   As it happens, I totally agree with the point made.  Don't get your knickers in a twist for goodness sake, no one is judging you or anyone else for that matter.

Chris.

• Like 2

Ted Taylor (God bless him)'s missives on the Victor put me off building my first one (part started) for almost a year. This year I converted one back to a B.2. Not a work of art like others here, but I enjoyed it and was happy with the result (even if others didn't share my pleasure). At the end of the day who are you building for? If you want a competition winner - good luck. If you build for yourself - enjoy the journey B)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stringbag said:

It was a general observation based on Sabrejet's personal preference for a given subject. I don't believe it was directed at you in any way shape or form, neither was it any form of characterization..   As it happens, I totally agree with the point made.  Don't get your knickers in a twist for goodness sake, no one is judging you or anyone else for that matter.

Chris.

And there’s another indication of the problem with online discussions.  I don’t have my knickers in anything even remotely like a twist.  I didn’t say he was directing it at me, if you had actually read what I posted.  

You people astound me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1