Airfix FGR1 Phantom questions

Radpoe Spitfire

Here we go with a couple of questions.

I'm on my second commission for a work colleague, an RAF F4 to go with a Vulcan I'd built for him. It's going to be in the 1970's era Grey/ Green  scheme.

In the kit, there are two lower wing sections- one with and one without reinforcement plates - which do I use?

I'm also not familiar with the arms fit of the time, was the central belly gun pack used and would this be in conjunction with any of the following - rocket pods, Sidewinders, or Sparrow missiles?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards, Adrian

For the 1970's use the wing without the 100 fi butt strap.

The ability of 43's FG1's to carry the SUU 23a gun pod was introduced sometime in the 70's. Someone did post the full details on another Phantom FG1 thread.

If you are doing a QRA load of AIM-9G Sidewinders and AIM-7 Sparrows then the Leuchars aircraft flew with a centerline fuel tank, not the gun pod.

43 Sqn were air defence so would not have used the Matra rocket pods.

• Like 2

Just as Phone Phixer states above.  One additional check.  See if the aircraft you are modelling has had the PWR/ILS aerials mod done.  Although it and the gun mod were started in the mid 70's, they both took an inordinate time to complete and indeed had not been so done by the time I left the Service in late '83.  Also ensure that all RBF safety pins are fitted and tags showing.

arMBN0u.jpg 

Typical QRA configuration - XT866 taxying back from a Q sortie.

HTH

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

For the 1970's use the wing without the 100 fi butt strap.

The ability of 43's FG1's to carry the SUU 23a gun pod was introduced sometime in the 70's. Someone did post the full details on another Phantom FG1 thread.

If you are doing a QRA load of AIM-9G Sidewinders and AIM-7 Sparrows then the Leuchars aircraft flew with a centerline fuel tank, not the gun pod.

43 Sqn were air defence so would not have used the Matra rocket pods.

I think the QRA sounds a very good option. Although it was around 1989-1990, I started my RAF career as an AATC at Wattisham. So it will be a tenuous "nod" to my time with the F4's, albeit they were 56 sqn's F4M's and 74 Sqn's F4J's.