This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
McNab

Friulmodel metal tank tracks for Renault FT-17 1:35

Hi guys

Hope you are all well and modelling away - as I am. 

Now, do any of you have any experience with building/fitting the above item for your baby French tank? My question is that there are two diagonal spurs on each of the track beds (is that the right word??? I mean the actual flat bit that contacts with the road surface) and I am not sure if they are supposed to be there or not. I have looked up various stock photos but cannot be certain either way.

Thanks in advance if one or more of you can help me.

Cheers for now

AMN

Yes they are supposed to be there.  If you'd bought the Voyager etched track set you'd be adding them individually!!!!  Having just built an FT, I can't see anything wrong with the kit tracks.  In fact I got hold of another set for my Schneider CA.

Here's a view of the tracks on the recently-restored Weald Foundation FT.  The grey paint is apparently authentic and the similar tracks on the recently-restored CA at Saumur are also grey.  The base metal is dark brown, so don't be tempted to sand back the paint to a bright metal effect on the spuds.  I don't understand the fascination with white metal tracks as NO tank tracks were silver metal.  Ever.

Note the oil: this tank had only covered a couple of miles from "new".  Each of the link joins was lubricated and Weald say that the rollers leaked like seives as they contained 500ml of oil with no oil seals!  I don't claim to be an expert but you might like to check out my recent build blog and finished item.  There might be some useful info in there.

Dg1tnfD.jpg

Here's a view of the tracks on the early unarmoured prototype FT at Bovington, which shows that the link design did not change, although the Weald tracks have a slightly more pronounced lip on the inside edges.  I suspect that's just a sub contractor variation.

Xfr6sqv.jpg

All FT links had some casting numbers on the face and many, if not most, had a large central single-digit number - probably the mould number.  Do the Fruils have these?  Hard to add if not.  I used Slater's plastic alphabets on my plastic links, blended in with liquid poly.

F5JK9hQ.jpg