This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

s.e.charles

pink foam priming

it's taken more than a few coats of (Vallejo) paint to rid the pink bleed through. I started with grey primer, then a few different coats of greys, light & dark. in the process, some detail has been lost to my disappointment. but there may be a better way. any help appreciated; thanks.

A light coat of plaster to act as a neutral surface for the paint?

I don't know what 'pink foam' is, or what you are using it for, especially as you say 'some detail has been lost.'

What detail?

A clue would be nice.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder

"Pink foam" also found in other colours, is a relatively hard, closed-cell extruded styrene insulation foam. It's very popular for making miniature buildings: you draw/scribe brickwork or masonry details into the surface with a  knife, pencil or even a ballpoint pen, and once painted it give a superb sense of courses in the surface. I've hit the same problem: priming with any kind of aerosol eats into the surface, (and hence reduces/degrades the engraved detail), despite that fact that the general view is it shouldn't (unlike expanded PS).

He's not been back on the forum since asking the question, so I guess we'll have to wait until the next thrilling episode of "what pink foam?" :shrug: