Best reputation of a BOB bird

ModellerUK

What’s people’s opinions on the best kits for a Hurricane/Spitfire from the Height of the BOB in the 1/32 scale. 

Or would 1/48 be a better choice, as I would like a Lanc at some point too. And me being me they will have to be the same scale. 

• Like 1

Hurricane 32nd,  Fly models,  48th, new tool Airfix or Hasegawa

Spitfire,  there isn't s a modern good Spitfire Mk.I in 32nd,  48th, new tool Airfix, though this maybe eclipsed by the forthcoming Tamiya Mk.I

there are two 32nd Lancs due, (see threads)  in the 48th there is the very old Tamiya kit, which has lots of issues...

• Like 3

Troy's covered all the bases having built all the 1/48 kit's mentioned(apart from the new tool Tamiya) and totally agree with his summary,It all

comes down to what your modelling mantra is accuracy wise,I'm just on building Tamiya's original tool Spitfire and love it despite a couple of

shape issue's and loved Hasegawa's Hurricane Mk1 but prefer Airfix's newer  tool kit's of both.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, Work In Progress said:

But not one which looks very much like a Spitfire. It is easily built and fits well but the fuselage looks as if it;s been inflated with a bicycle pump, and the kit is also far closer to being a Va than a Battle of Britain I.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the Revell Spitfire Mk II, but Mk IIs definitely fought in the later stages of the BOB, so it's not just Mk Is you can choose.

The overall accuracy of the New Revell 1/32 Spitfire 11a is not that bad. Yes it needs some work including a new spinner, plus the Barracuda resin set that addresses other issues. It is a 11a not a Mk1, and yes the 11a did take part in the BoB , the BBMF 11a P7350 is the classic example.

Being a Spit nut I must say I'm really looking forward to Tamiya's new 1/48 one. It looks tremendous from the early pics of it.

Saying that I built the current Tamiya 48 Spit Ia a few years back and it was a fun build and a piece of cake to make. It's got some minor shape issues but builds up beautifully.

I built the Hasegawa 48 Hurricane Mk.I about 10 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed that too. Only problem which I remember was that the boffins at Hasegawa for some ridiculous reason decided to put the underside wing to fuselage join slap bang in the middle of the fabric detail. Apart from that, which is guaranteed to elicit a lot of fruity language, it's a lovely model.

I haven't done a Lanc since I was a nipper but the WNW's one looks amazing from the CAD images and plastic photos. The only problem being that you'll probably have to put a new extension on the house or build a shed to put it in!

11 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

If you aren't much concerned about details, the Pegasus Hobbies Hurricane and Spitfire look nice. They're, however, basic and targetted for a younger audience.

The Pegasus kits are snap together,  and are "based" on other manufacturers kits....

The Hurricane is based  on the Hasegawa kit,  so is ok, though it copies the Hasegawa faults.

The Spitfire from online parts shots is based on the Revell Mk.II from 1978, Thus lacks the gull wing, though having got one of the recent Revell reissue of the 78 kit,  it was pretty good for basic shapes.

The Pegasus is one of the very few 1/48th Spitfires I don't have, so can't comment in detail.

I note that @ModellerUK has not clarified what he means by "best"  .... Best "kit" or best in accuracy, or kit inaccuracies,   so I just gave a basic quick answer, there have been many threads on these subjects,  though it's easier to find them if you know they exist, or in the Hurricane threads, posted in....

HTH