Pendle Princess Steam Traction Engine

Ian T

3 minutes ago, Cooper645 said:

@Gorby that is a foden steam lorry I believe. If you want info on that specific one I can try and find out who owns it, my father in law may know them, his is the Wallace & Steevens next to it. 

Thanks very much. I'll have a look at the feasibility of building one first and if I go ahead, I'll see what livery I fancy doing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've enjoyed watching this come together Ian – it's nice to see something different built here

Thanks @Gorby, the same friend that gave me The Princess kit also gave me a Mercer Raceabout car also from Bandai. I think that it is probably in the same series [1/16] from Bandai, that should be fun. I’ve got no decals for that one so a bit of investigation is required on that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ian T said:

the same friend that gave me The Princess kit also gave me a Mercer Raceabout car also from Bandai.

That's a damn good friend! I've just had a look at that Raceabout kit and it looks very nice. I've never seen it before so it must be reasonably rare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

That's a damn good friend! I've just had a look at that Raceabout kit and it looks very nice. I've never seen it before so it must be reasonably rare.

Yes, a very good friend indeed. He bought both kits many years ago, but he’s a full scale man not a scale kit man, if he can’t drive it, he’s not interested. So after taking the kits around various places he decided to pass them on.

• Like 2

So close to the end and the decals bite just one more time!!

The last sub-assembly for the kit is the roof, which went together quite nicely, so onto the decals. Those of you who’ve followed this build will know some of the problems that I’ve had with the original decals and the reasonable success that I’ve had with some home printed ones. Well for the decals along the edge of the roof I decided to try the original ones due to the white writing. Hmmm ..... they literally fell to pieces in the water and there was no chance of lining them up, the biggest piece would have been around 5mm long. So onto the home printed ones, I could not really use the ones printed on the white film as I would have had to cut out each character separately. I started with the scrolls on the ends which are almost invisible to the naked eye and completely invisible in these pictures. So I had to use the ones printed on the white film for the lettering and decided to try to make it look like a white painted “plaque”. I’m happy with the result, but I apologise to the purists, needs must I’m afraid.

A success in my opinion were the two belts. I wasn’t happy with the vinyl ones supplied, they looked cheap and didn’t hang right. So I got some thin leather straps from a leather worker at a local market and the results are shown below. The shorter belt is a bit loose and the join is visible, but the longer one went on great and I hid the joint under the flywheel.

i reckon that the next appearance of The Princess may be on the RFI section, but I’ll add a note here as well.

49329778928_ed3576d52c_b.jpg

49330467687_ee4d3f6dd7_b.jpg

49330467712_390da78633_b.jpg

• Like 9