Pendle Princess Steam Traction Engine

Ian T

I was happy with the decals in my last effort, above, but I thought and hoped that I could do a bit better. So I persevered and played with the settings on my printer and adjusted the scale a bit, reprinted the sheets and have got to this now. And I’ve got to be really happy with this I reckon. Still not 100% the correct size, but a “standard” printer has probably got a fair degree of leeway in these things. But when I considered the fragile state of the original decals, I’m so pleased to be here now. So, at last, I can make some more progress now.

These are the side panels that, I’m guessing, keep fingers out of the cylinder, pistons and other whirling bits.

48752325602_30d2eec87e_b.jpg

A view is the side panels fixed in place.

48752325617_b076c561f7_b.jpg

And a general view, including the rear roof bracket with the earlier decals.

48752325572_df2ba87634_b.jpg

• Like 5

Today’s update shows the control panel (apologies if that isn’t the correct name) and the firebox door (not really visible in the first picture) on the black panel below. Then there are a couple of pictures of this assembly mounted on the footplate area.

48773065583_8c963958ab_b.jpg

48773065633_fc9064f937_b.jpg

48773065628_b79bd10a9e_b.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The Pendle Princess is now getting rather fragile I’m afraid, the mouldings and locating pins weren’t the best with it being an older kit, but now there are so many things sticking out to catch on that I need to be so careful when handing it.

The last few days have seen some minor detail painting and the fitting of several pipes, levers, handles and wheels as shown in the photos below. One or two are a bit out of focus I’m afraid, but I hope that they convey the current build status.

48824759971_601a6284b6_b.jpg

48824394123_d03a6d3bb7_b.jpg

48824394153_2225af64c7_b.jpg

48824394108_ef52bbb793_b.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The latest additions include the gear wheels and cover on the right hand side, with the flywheel added to the left hand side.

48868872996_0d8428e476_b.jpg

48868873016_c78d3f2faf_b.jpg

48869070587_535d33fa73_b.jpg

• Like 8

Not much left now Jeroen!!

The front end is complete and needs to be attached. The roof is the main thing left, but there are still a few fiddly bits to go yet. I forgot to fit a pipe that needs to go behind the flywheel, but that should be OK, I can always cut it and fit it from either side if it becomes difficult. Other than that there are a few details such as the hose pipe used to fill the water tank, the warning bell and chain etc. So as much as I think I’m nearly finished I think that there will still be a few weeks yet.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

I think it's going to be a pretty little machine when you're done with it. And yes, those last few bits always take their own sweet time!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

😯 Good Lord!
I think I'll keep the late 70's/early 80's Bandai box I found in the attic a while longer then. 

Nice work, my late dad bought this but never got started on it.

It’s certainly an interesting kit to build!! I’ve had no real problem with the kit, although there is lots of flash and sink holes, plus there is a distinct lack of locating pins and lugs, so getting halves of bits (i.e., the boiler) to line up is problematic.

The real problem for me has been the decals, my kit was given to me by a good friend and in the course of his work he had lugged the kit through many of the different climates that Australia has to offer and this had affected the decals. They broke into small pieces when I applied them, which wasn’t too bad as I could line them up reasonably well, but I then clear coated them which seemed to be the obvious thing to do. The decals then crazed up something chronic as can be seen in some of the pictures. So my recommendation would be, a) don’t use clear coat if you stick to the original decals or b) get yourself a modern copy of the decals printed by a professional concern from the originals before you cut them up and then use the new ones.

But whatever you do, have fun with the kit, it’s character building!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A long time between posts, partly due to other things, but mainly due to the rather hot, sticky weather here in Brisbane. It’s OK, no, in fact it’s very nice, to have a 6m x 4m shed with workbenches, tools, lights, lots of Dremel goodies etc. But if it’s too damn hot in the general shade, imagine what it’s like inside a steel shed ..... yes, 1st World problems, but a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

Anyway, I’ve been doing a few bits early in the mornings before it’s been getting too hot and here we are, wheels on, and dare I say it, the end is almost in sight. There are a few twiddly bits to go, but basically it’s the roof assembly left.

Any and all constructive comments gleefully received, Happy Christmas to one and all.

49220535411_6a3b8e7ce6_b.jpg

49220052813_8e744d8ae8_b.jpg

49220760877_10fdf71cda_b.jpg

49220760897_0df6045810_b.jpg

• Like 15

13 hours ago, JeroenS said:

You're doing a great job with this machine!

Thanks @JeroenS, I’m quite pleased with the results overall. It’s my first attempt at a difficult (non-Tamiya/Airfix kit) and a learning curve, but isn’t that part of the joy of this hobby? I’m looking forward to finishing now as I’ve got a couple of kits that I’m itching to get on with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few more of the “twiddly” bits completed, not some of the best work that I’ve done, but it has been particularly difficult getting at some of the places, well that’s my excuse anyway.

The steering chains have been added underneath, the instructions say to tie the ends of the chains to the plastic hooks eyes etc. with some fine twine that was supplied. I was hoping to open the chain links and fit them directly, but I’m afraid the chain was too small for me to work with. As it was it was difficult enough trying to tie the twine. Eventually all was good but it’s not too neat. I “waxed” the twine to make it hang a bit straighter and more life like, I’m not sure that this has been achieved.

The warning bell and chain/rope to operate the whistle have been fitted. Plus a couple of operating rods from the drivers position to the cylinder block, the water pipe for refilling the water tank, and finally the gear change levers have been added to the right hand side gears that operate the rear wheels.

Only the roof to go now ......

49275687098_299d9056d1_b.jpg

49276351017_480304591b_b.jpg

49276151051_84c37d8b81_b.jpg

49275687103_1eb7d4def0_b.jpg

• Like 10

They're certainly hanging ok, not sure if they're beefy enough for the job though!

Sterling work and she's going to be a stunner, plus you'll have all these new skills to play with!

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, limeypilot said:

They're certainly hanging ok, not sure if they're beefy enough for the job though!

Sterling work and she's going to be a stunner, plus you'll have all these new skills to play with!

Ian

Thanks @limeypilot, yes the chain are hanging OK, it was the “rope” to the bell and whistle that I wasn’t too happy with, sorry if I wasn’t too clear with my description. As for being “beefy” enough, good point. The two chains that go up under the boiler would appear to be some sort of safety arrangement to prevent the driver from turning the steering too far and would probably be OK from a size point if view. But the chains connected to the steering drum up under the water tank would benefit from a bit more bulk I reckon. Funnily enough, where the chains join onto the front axle, the kits provides a plastic moulded “coupler” which in real life would probably allow some adjustment to the steering. However it looks a bit out of scale now, compared to the steering chains, they are just visible in a couple of the pictures, attached to the front axle.

8 hours ago, Cooper645 said:

if you zoom and look closely they’re not too off from scale here. 

the back wheel on this is 6 ft ish just so you’re aware, she’s a big girl.

That’s a brilliant picture @Cooper645, I’ve not seen that one before, thank you very much!!

But now I’ve got to consider whether I “tighten” up the steering chains. The ones on my kit hang a bit loose compared to those on the real thing. Which in reality is obviously correct, on my kit there would be far too much dead time between steering in one direction to either straightening up or going in the opposite direction. Hmmmm ..... not sure if it’s worth the effort, I’ll think about that one for a while.

To be honest with you I wouldn't worry too much, you can barely see them on the finished model. That said I've just looked at the photos of mine and they are a bit slack... and dangly :)

DSC_4860.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks @Cooper645 and @Kallisti, I’ve decided to leave well alone, I had a bit of trouble tying the chains in the first place so so undo them, shorten the chain and then re-tie is asking for trouble I reckon. I know that there is a bit of slack in the real thing, but mine is probably too loose, but I’ll live with it.

Thanks for your words of wisdom and help.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 12:12 AM, Ian T said:

That’s a brilliant picture @Cooper645, I’ve not seen that one before, thank you very much!!

But now I’ve got to consider whether I “tighten” up the steering chains. The ones on my kit hang a bit loose compared to those on the real thing. Which in reality is obviously correct, on my kit there would be far too much dead time between steering in one direction to either straightening up or going in the opposite direction. Hmmmm ..... not sure if it’s worth the effort, I’ll think about that one for a while.

Having steered one of these many years ago I can promise you there is a scary amount of winding (very fast winding!) to do before the slack is taken up and it starts to tun. It never ceased to amaze me as we drove it to it's display slot how people just wandered in front of us - we could never possibly stop or change direction quick enough if they fell or stopped...and it was a roller!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've enjoyed watching this come together Ian – it's nice to see something different built here.

@Cooper645, do you have any information on the red one at the front please? I really like the look of it and I'm looking for my next scratch-build project.

On 29/12/2019 at 09:20, Cooper645 said:

spacer.png

@Gorby that is a foden steam lorry I believe. If you want info on that specific one I can try and find out who owns it, my father in law may know them, his is the Wallace & Steevens next to it. 

if you google “f parker and co ancoats manchester” then you get a number of good results as a starter for ten. 

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1