1/144th Comet 4B/C KITS

Paul J

I was just wondering... has anyone actually compared and checked the accuracy of the Airfix Comet 4B and the A Model Comet 4C ??  I suspect that A Model have based theirs on the Airfix one of which I still have in the original Sky King box and silver plastic. But how correct are the two if compared plastic with plastic?

Airfix, even in the old days, usually got the dimensions basically right. The main problem with the Airfix Comet is the extremely crude and simplified representation of the Avon exhausts.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 1

Can't tell you to be honest as my memory isn't good enough to remember the feet and inches.. All the dimensions of the various Comet marks are available on the internet. In fact, the Wiki page lists them in one place - which is handy.

The 4C with tanks dd have a longer span as far as I can recall. 

24 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Thanks Eric. Thats what I thought about the wing span with tanks.  And, I take it the fuselage lengths were the same then?

I

Yes, the fuselage lengths of the 4B and 4C were the same. It was just the wingspan that was greater on the 4C with tanks. Out of the two kits, I would still favour the old Airfix 4B with added Two-Six resin wingtips and tanks to make an accurate 4C.  Not impressed with the A-Model Comet or Caravelle kits.

Edited by AMB
  • Like 3

Thanks Adrian. Most helpful.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/jetliner/comet/

Just found the above link which has answered some of my questions. The Wiki one seems to have conflicting  and unclear descriptions and dims.

Next thing for me to do is check my kits.   I have a horrible feeling........

28 minutes ago, AMB said:

with added Two-Six resin wingtips and tanks to make an accurate 4C

But you've just said the 4C has a greater span than the 4B - the 2-6 outer wing sections with the pinion tanks are the same span as the bit you chop off. If you move them out to where they should be the chord is too wide.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, if the model looks reasonably close to the real thing I'm generally not too bothered.  Problems arise if you place models of the same subject from different manufacturers next to each other on your display shelves. However, in 1/144 these differences aren't always that noticeable.

One major change to the current issue of the Airfix Comet compared to its earlier iterations is that the passenger cabin apertures are no longer included. The passenger windows are now included in the decal sheet. This is not a problem for me as I prepare decal window representation in this scale.

I built the re-released Airfix Comet 4B a few months ago and was generally pleased with the result. The things to watch out for are - 

The flight deck windows are the only clear parts included in the kit and don't fit very well. I just glued them in place, faired them in, painted over them and used decals for the windows

The letters "BEA" are on a white backing, which caught me out. As a result, there is a slight difference in the tone of the white of the decal compared to the white pain of the upper fuselage. It would have been better if the BEA lettering had a clear backing.

As mentioned earlier, the Avon jet pipes are crudely depicted and unrealistic.

DSC_8449.JPG

DSC_8450.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/10/2018 at 08:56, Britman said:

Just had a memory event! Someone on here (I think ) suggested that the Airfix Vampire T11 tanks make good Comet tanks.

Keith. 

Indeed they do!  RFI of completed model here.

comet1a.jpg&key=76ceb359e304308de7facbd7

The original idea and credit belongs to Phil 'Vulcanicity', but his thread has fallen victim to the great Photobucket blackout.

HTH

John

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 11:54 PM, Dave Swindell said:

But you've just said the 4C has a greater span than the 4B - the 2-6 outer wing sections with the pinion tanks are the same span as the bit you chop off. If you move them out to where they should be the chord is too wide.

I was quite disappointed in the 2-6 tips for that reason - you get a short wingspan with tanks. Just to recap the Comet 4s

4 - shorter fuselage, full span wing with tanks

4B - longer fuselage, reduced span wing, no tanks

4C - longer fuselage, full span wings with tanks

I seem to remember reading that the AModel Comet was slightly underscale.

http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=9106

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/280986-amodel-dh-comet-4b/

I'd love someone to do a modern range of Comet kits - the Welsh kits are nice, but at a price that doesn't encourage multiple builds!

Edited by Dave Fleming
Underscale, not overscale
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I was quite disappointed in the 2-6 tips for that reason - you get a short wingspan with tanks.

My feelings as well, an opportunity missed. The extended ailerons are shown, but at the expense of the outboard flap section.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

the Welsh kits are nice,

The Welsh kits are Airfix kits rehashed. The wing has been mastered using the Airfix wing, and whilst it has been extended for the 4, shrinkage in the moulding process has resulted in a span equivalent to 110', not the required 115', and the wing chord is some 1.5mm narrower than the Airfix wing. The pinion tanks look a little anemic when alongside the 2-6 ones as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The Welsh kits are Airfix kits rehashed. The wing has been mastered using the Airfix wing, and whilst it has been extended for the 4, shrinkage in the moulding process has resulted in a span equivalent to 110', not the required 115', and the wing chord is some 1.5mm narrower than the Airfix wing. The pinion tanks look a little anemic when alongside the 2-6 ones as well.

Interesting, I don't have one, but had had a look at the kit before. The Comet really hasn't been well served in 1/144th.

2 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

The Comet really hasn't been well served in 1/144th. 

I'd agree with that, I had high hopes of the Amodel kit, but being underscale makes a slender aeroplane look downright skinny when compared to other models in the same scale. As cam be seen on the forum, a decent Comet model can be produced, but it does take some work.

I think I will pass on the AModel Kit(s) entirely. And it would a waste of money or time buying 26 Decals fro an RAF one that I had planned, as they would be too big proportionately all over. There is an element of copying the Airfix kit by the way  the  kit parts are broken down. Sounds too small all over.  I'll leave my Airfix one in the stash.  Thanks to all for the input though.

I'll  go back and concentrate on my old Aurora restorations.

27 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Two Six manufacture a nice 4/4C conversion kit. Its the same cost as the Airfix Vampire and less hassle too.

http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/TSR144-04

Thomo.

But unless Ray has remastered it, as mentioned above the wing tip is too short

17 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I'd love someone to do a modern range of Comet kits - the Welsh kits are nice, but at a price that doesn't encourage multiple builds!

As long as they're in 1:72 ...

(Lights blue touch paper, stands well clear ...)