Hanriot HD.1 in Italian Service - FINISHED 15/11/18

In the end I decided to go with option C on the markings sheet and finished painting the major parts for this scheme late this afternoon. I wanted to try and achieve some contrast in texture between the metal and fabric areas of aircraft and I am pleased with the way this has turned out. I used Halfords High Temperature Aluminium from a rattle can and this has imparted a grainy texture to the fabric areas. 

44993082454_ce9512dee9_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Just the smaller details to paint up now and then I can start some final assembly work and the rigging.

• Like 3

I have been working on painting up the struts, propeller and the Vickers machine gun. The struts and prop had a base coat of Revell Aqua Beige, then the grain pattern was added with some Abteilung 502 oil and I used Light and Dark Rust for this. I think they will need another 24hrs drying over a radiator before I giving them a coat of clear gloss.

The Gaspatch Models machine gun had a black base coat then a brush over with Mr Metalcolor Dark Iron, this needs some bronze on the breech and the belt/ammunition painting up before continuing with the small bit of assembly work then I can add it to the airframe.

45702368152_ca86c8f8e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45702369912_464ce1a0d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45702369032_52ab159c24_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I am still not certain about this one making the deadline, I will give it my best shot, so it shouldn't be too far off.

• Like 1

I have said it before and I will say it again!This is a spectacular job on your behalf John!Hold tight I have all faith that you will make the deadline without any hassles.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

John,

I'm pleased my misfortune inspired you to pick this kit up, you've done a far better job than I would ever have done, I'm glad to have seen you do it justice! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

The forecast is for heavy showers here today, so it was out with Molly for an early walk this morning then back home and on with some further work and as a result I have made good progress with the build. The struts and propeller have had a couple of clear coats which has really brought the simulated wood grain out.

30824897497_ebafb553ba_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30824898067_fda316c45b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Then I decided to add the decals to the fuselage and upper wing. After reading some negative comments about the decals, I approached this stage with some caution, I needn't have worried though because they went on and settled down beautifully and almost have a painted on look.

30824899207_42938017c2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30824896847_4213562c64_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30824900407_1d2f290821_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30824899677_a1ceaeccee_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll push on with more work this afternoon, and try to get the upper wing on tonight.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, the South African said:

As I have said John.Time to spare.Magnificent work mate!

Regards:

Shaun

Thanks a lot for the kind comment Shaun. I have the parts that sit under the upper wing fixed in place now, and I then had a quick look at the best approach for fitting the wing. I'll probably get away with gluing it to the central support and then I should be able to spring it to fix the struts in position. Not much left to do now and the rigging looks to be a fairly simple affair, so all being well I hope to have everything wrapped up tomorrow. :D

30831272227_215458b14a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30831271457_e51bcc325c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

This is certainly a colourful bird! Very nice!

Ian

Thanks for the comment Ian. I had a very late session trying to get this one finished last night, and eventually attached the upper wing and managed to get some of the rigging on. It was at this point that l discovered that I had made a bit of a schoolboy error, I had positioned the Vickers gun a tad too far forwards. :doh: so I have decided that I should leave it alone for now. I will see what can be done when we get back from Telford on Sunday, but as things stand I don't feel that it will quite make the deadline, and I don't want to spoil it further by rushing things.

I have thoroughly enjoyed building this kit and without that deadline pressure I hope that I can have it finished by Monday.

• Like 2

This is where work stopped at 03:00 am after my late session on Thurs/Fri before heading off to Telford, as you can see there is quite some way to go before it is finished, and with a very early appointment to have the old knee replacements checked over tomorrow, I'm afraid that I won't get this done for the deadline. I'll start work on it again tomorrow afternoon, so it should be done soon.

45831891211_2e58b67691_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for all the comments and support along the way, to @Robert Stuart for organising the GB and to our generous sponsors Haynes for their support. Good Luck to all those who manage to get their builds into the Gallery, it is going to be tough to pick a winner.

• Like 5

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:44, modelling minion said:

Really glad that you are going to carry on with your build John, sorry you didn't get to finish her in time but she will look great when finished and should not be rushed.

Hope you had a great day at Telford, I did!

I did have a good day at Telford, Craig. Now that Mrs N is only teaching three days, we decided to have a mini-break and went along to the show yesterday. I continued working on the model today and should finish it this week.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:30, Andwil said:

Pity this model has missed the deadline as it is a real beauty!

Tempted to move my 1/72 Hanriot further up the queue.

AW

Thanks AW, I could probably have completed it on time without the break. It would be good to see a 1/72 version of a Hanriot, it appears to be quite a nice size looking at the drawings in my reference book.

Update 12/11/2018

I completed the interplane rigging and added the cabane struts along with the wheels over the course of the afternoon. There are a few paint touch ups to do and then I can add the remaining etch parts for the aileron and rudder controls along with some other rigging. I have also extended the tail-skid and this will need some paint before I can fix it in position.

44938142545_efdea387f3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44938142905_fdf393838f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44938143405_1b0f19e0b4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44938144065_e10d2aa70b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

Hi John. I too am sorry you have missed the deadline with this. It would have looked great in the gallery. As it is it's going to look really impressive anyway. It looks stunning with the work you have done on the painting and decalling. :clap2:

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:47, PlaStix said:

Hi John. I too am sorry you have missed the deadline with this. It would have looked great in the gallery. As it is it's going to look really impressive anyway. It looks stunning with the work you have done on the painting and decalling. :clap2:

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks for the very kind comment Stix. Having completed the final bit of rigging and paint touch up this afternoon, this one is finally done. :yahoo:That said, I haven't checked through the box yet, I often find some last fit part which I have missed along the way still lurking in there. :winkgrin: It's a shame that I didn't quite get it finished on time, but this has been a fun build, and that is all that matters.

Here are a few photos of the completed 🤞build, I'll take some more over the next couple of days and post them in the RFI section and include a link here.

45170865394_7398836745_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45170864654_850e187032_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45170863944_6407373c9c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45170863324_79809f2906_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

John,

That is a superb job that you've done there, certainly something to take inspiration and learn from when I get around to mine.

As I've said previously, you've done a far better job than I would and I commend you for your efforts.

• Like 1

John, that's a lovely finish and an outstanding model what with the paint finish and the rigging. Well worth finishing without rushing - I love it. I've never built an Eduard kit and don't have any squirreled away but I'm convinced I need to go there. Congratulations on another excellent build. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 06:15, Wez said:

John,

That is a superb job that you've done there, certainly something to take inspiration and learn from when I get around to mine.

As I've said previously, you've done a far better job than I would and I commend you for your efforts.

Thanks a lot Wez, I'm sure that you will make just as good a job of yours once you  get around to starting it. Just make sure that you position the Vickers gun correctly. I have set mine just a tad too far forward and the prop was striking it as a consequence. I created a the necessary clearance by adding a small plastic disc in the bottom of the hole for attaching it.

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:16, Ventora3300 said:

John, that's a lovely finish and an outstanding model what with the paint finish and the rigging. Well worth finishing without rushing - I love it. I've never built an Eduard kit and don't have any squirreled away but I'm convinced I need to go there. Congratulations on another excellent build. All the best. Mike.

Cheers Mike. There are few vices with this particular kit, the fit was great and apart from a couple of small corrections it was accurate enough for me. The only problems that I had were self inflicted. 

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Beautiful model, congratulations!  It was certainly worth waiting for.

AW

Thanks a lot AW, glad that you like the end result bud. I am pleased with the way it turned out too,, and hope to have a go at a 1/48 Albatros from Eduard in the near future. 

I have posted a few more photos, including this one, over in the RFI - Aircraft section.

45870931202_c2c8b585e8_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

@nimrod54 your HD1 looks great - IMO, one of the (if not THE) most attractive biplanes to come out of WWI.

I have to agree Robert, a stylish French design coupled with a flamboyant Italian scheme definitely make this one of the most attractive types of WWI.

• Like 1