Hanriot HD.1 in Italian Service - FINISHED 15/11/18

Due to a hectic group build schedule around the start date of the Eleventh Hour GB, I did not declare myself as an initial entrant. But having read of @Wez with his HD.1 sadly having to withdraw from the GB, I thought that I would step up with the same kit. I know that it is getting near to the deadline date but I am hoping that I can still complete it in time, providing I do not hit any snags along the way. I still have to decide on which of the colour options to go with, probably the simplest one would be the wisest choice, a decision that will have to be made fairly soon though. Anyway, here are the photos showing the box and its contents along with the colour choices and reference book.

by John L, on Flickr

43415347260_475bd579fa_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

31354412978_1787486c93_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44317538035_d586a278e8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44317539545_b7bee164e9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

Good luck with it John, it looks a lovely kit in the box.  I'm sure you'll do it justice.

I'll be watching with interest.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Good luck with it John, it looks a lovely kit in the box.  I'm sure you'll do it justice.

I'll be watching with interest.

Thanks Wez I'll give it my best shot. Sorry to read about your flooding issues and hope that you have been able to sort things out.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, let me apologise for the lack of updates on this build, but after four builds in the Airfix GB, I think that I am going through a bit of modelling burnout and so progress has been painfully slow. However, such as it is progress has been made and here is how things look at present.

The cockpit floor and fuselage interior has been sprayed with aluminium and this was masked off before painting the frames with a wood colour. The engine components have had a coat of satin black in preparation for some metallic colours.

44587040745_b512268184_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The interior parts for the cockpit have been assembled and painted up and include the rudder pedal assembly and its bulkhead, the instrument panel, seat assembly and the headrest cushion. The etch seat was shaped around the kit plastic part before the seat cushion and belts were added, I pre-shaped the etch belts prior to painting and that meant the chances of the paint flaking off were reduced.

45500573011_a621e471fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once the engine components are completed I can assemble all the interior parts and fuselage halves. I hope that I can then start to make some faster progress than I have so far.

45500574061_c6cd8c6d78_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

That's a lot of progress, John, all at this small scale as well. It looks like a really detailed kit. Interesting subject too - I'll need to have a read up. Enjoying this. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, it's nice to see that you are proposing to build the Airfix Albatros, another one that I had a go at many years ago. If you are looking for an easy build you could go along with overall red as the colour.

• Thanks 1

Nice work so far John, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Edited by Wez
punctuation
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, the South African said:

You look to be making great progress as far as I can see mate.

Regards:

Shaun

21 hours ago, Wez said:

Nice work so far John, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thanks chaps. I managed to make a start on painting the engine and have assembled the cockpit details, test fitting each component as I went along. I still have some further work to do on the engine, but after having another look at the instructions, I should now be able to close up the fuselage, and a bit more work on the engine will see that finished.

44810465084_e6f7b9f0bf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44810467044_5bfa3cc96b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have also picked up a couple of these, whilst the kit items are adequate I think that the detail on these is a little crisper.

44810468804_7f0299ef34_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the South African said:

That is some great painting skills there John!

Regards:

Shaun

Thanks again for the kind comment Shaun, I pushed on with the engine painting and assembly tonight, if gluing three parts can be called an assembly. :D Here's the result of that work.

Front Face

43723862150_831c4bd3d3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Rear Face

43723862950_15b1a4997f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

One detail missing from the cowling ring is an additional cooling slot forward of those provided. I added this detail by chain drilling with a 1mm drill and then cleaning up the slot with a scalpel and files.

45558366951_fb5976c83d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job is for me to have a look at how easy/difficult it will be for me to add the open structure to the rear of the fuselage. If it proves too complicated to do within the time available, then I may leave things as they are for this build.

• Like 4

I have opened up the rear section of the fuselage and added some structure using plastic strip and piece of brass tube which will accommodate a pin that l will add to the fin. I am also going to have to make a longer tail skid to replace the kit part. 

31712865988_82812f8b41_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I have opened up the rear section of the fuselage and added some structure using plastic strip and piece of brass tube which will accommodate a pin that l will add to the fin. I am also going to have to make a longer tail skid to replace the kit part.

John,

I was wondering how to tackle this when I came to do my kit, you've made it look quite simple really and very encouraging, not beyond my capability.  Well done, keep up the good work! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Only just found this one John, but I'm glad I did.

You have done a great job so far, not just with painting and building up the kit parts such as the really nice looking engine, but also adding missing details and correcting parts. Superb work mate, really good.

I like the colour schemes available in the kit, have you decided which one to go with yet?

• Like 1

Thanks a lot chaps. Things seem to be dragging along at the moment, I need to kick it up a gear and get this one done.

Craig @modelling minion

I still have to make a decision regarding the scheme, which has not been helped by the fact that the paint call outs on the profile sheet don't match their descriptions or the colour shown, so for the moment I am a bit wary about the camouflage versions  until I have checked them out further. I like the four aces CDL version and there is a photo of that aircraft in the reference book that I have. I think the Green Dragon scheme could be a nice challenge, trying to achieve a contrast between fabric and metal aluminium surfaces would be interesting. I need to make a decision very soon though because some of the parts fit are scheme dependant. 

Work has continued and I have added some of the metal covers to the fuselage and wings, The fin/rudder has been pinned and had test fit, I have to add a couple of other hinge points to the rudder, one in the centre, the other at the bottom end. The eagle eyed will have noticed the white panel on the nose, this is because I removed the wrong panel so had to reinstate it with some thin plastic sheet. :doh:

44893611494_63fc553772_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44704634705_1f1bd72bd4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30677123837_5b16c43cb2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44704711415_192218e09e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44893679384_6885a7d440_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

Hi John. Good to see you here with late entry. And excellent progress too. The cockpit and engine look particularly good! Looking forward to seeing more. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 04:15, the South African said:

The cdl four aces has my vote.Your build is cracking along very nicely John. 

Regards:

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, the plan is to try and finish the painting for the weekend and wrap things up before we head off to Telford for the UK Nationals on Friday. It will mean some late nights and it may still be a close run thing. :frantic:

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 08:02, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Good to see you here with late entry. And excellent progress too. The cockpit and engine look particularly good! Looking forward to seeing more. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix and thanks for the kind comment. I am pleased with the way things have gone so far and I hope there are no snags as I head into the home stretch.

Painting has started and I have painted the metal areas of the front end, along with the red and green on the underside of the wings. The red is Italian Red from a Tamiya rattle can and for the green I used Humbrol Emerald Green with a spot of Black to dull it down., but the viewer may still wish to don some dark glasses.  😎

45665180121_da2329156a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45665179711_3aa3e045b3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

In the top photo you can also see that I have slid a piece of tubing over the prop shaft, this was due to a clearance issue after a test fit of the propeller. I chose to lengthen the prop shaft and I will adjust the fit as required, but an alternative would be to add a thin disc of plastic to the base of the hole, thus reducing its depth.

• Like 4

Smashing work John.You do get things done very fast don't you?At the pace that you are currently moving things along I wont be surprised if you get it done with time in hand.

Wishing you all the best of luck at Telford and please take LOTS of photos while you are there mate!

Regards:

Shaun.

• Like 1