1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks for the info Rob, that's great!

I was planning on doing her as around 1987ish, fitted with slipper tanks and the ALQ jammer only, no missiles on this one. 

It's a shame that hardly any kits include those practice bomb dispensers that loads of jets seemed to carry in the 80s.

Flightpath do them. 48th scale 'CBLS -100 Practice Bomb carrier Set (with Practice Bombs).

From the package sat here in front of me at home :- "Contains - Two super-detailed units in resin, Cast metal and etched nickel silver".

Enjoying watching your build, by the way. Cheers Bob.

• Thanks 1

For a moment there I thought there was some kind of weird roundel action going on around the port wing... then I realised it’s just a G printed on the shopping bag!

Coming on nicely

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 4

You certainly don't hang around!! I'm expecting to see it decaled before teatime 😃

Remember to try and spray at a right angle to the surface as this is what is gives the slightly feathered edge (in theory at least).

• Like 1

Well, the moment of truth will soon be upon us! Hopefully the new technique worked. She looks kind of cool in all over green, better than all over grey. Camo pattern is best though.

IMG41291539701299.jpg

Thanks! Well, it's not much of a collection yet, just the Jag and an imminent Bucc. However, I do have a Tornado, Harrier, Lightning, Canberra and Hawk ready and waiting! No idea which to do next though. No Phantom yet, they're always too expensive 😡

There are two boxing’s of Italeri’s F-4J that have 74sqn markings included. So there are less expensive options for an RAF Phantom than the Hasegawa kits. But if it’s a spey enginened spook you want then yes, it is a problem.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks! Well, it's not much of a collection yet, just the Jag and an imminent Bucc. However, I do have a Tornado, Harrier, Lightning, Canberra and Hawk ready and waiting! No idea which to do next though. No Phantom yet, they're always too expensive 😡

I have done the Tornado, Phantom, Harrier, Lightning, Canberra & Hawk in 1/48 - mostly need a Buccaneer!  Oh and a Jet Provost.  Nice camo job

• Like 1

Ideally a Spey engined Phantom, pale grey, 29 sqn decals. Something will turn up on ebay one day, someone's mum/girlfriend/wife will be having a clear out and not realise the value! "Oh another plastic kit, I might get a fiver on eBay" ... Well, I'm still waiting but you never know. All my 1/48 kits were under £20 except the Bucc.

I've just found this build thread. When you mentioned it a day or two ago I didn't realise it was an Airfix kit. I have a real soft spot for Airfix, even though they made a few horrors during the troubled years. This sounds like it was one of them.

You're making a really nice job of it...and doing it quickly too. You'll be finished loooong before I am with my Victor. Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Peter!

Won't be too long now. Just the detailing to do, always my favourite part.

Silver around the intakes. I've tried to hide the fuselage join lines as best as I can.

IMG41421539789410.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:42 AM, Gorby said:

I've heard that the best way to assemble the fuselage is to glue and clamp just behind the wings. When it's dry, work your way forwards and backwards gradually from that point.

Also, glue the bomb bay door in position, this is a great help!