1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

When you say “angled slightly lower”, do you mean a different thrust line (i.e. a straight line through the engine would emerge from the exhaust pointing closer to the ground for a Gyron Junior than for a Spey)?

Yes, exactly. This is what I think when I look in the book about the S.1

But the rear part is not as big as the one of a Spey S.2, That's right Is'nt that ?

Sincerely.

CC

13 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

The last one was EDSG......

So?  There are only 2 colours for a proper Buccaneer; the other one is white.

[See also F4 (in British service, at least)]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Dark sea grey spray applied!

IMG41221539620655.jpg

IMG41231539620655.jpg

After it dries over night I'll start stick blu-tack over for the green pattern then cover with masking tape. First time I've attempted this, I've always hand painted the green but usually ended up slightly disappointed, so I bought a can of Tamiya AS-30.

Any tips for this method?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 6

I know that with my own painting issues recently that my advice isn't of great value and I can't speak from spray can experience, but from airbrushing experience I'd say go light and go at least twice before removing the blu-tac. You'll never line the blu-tac rolls up again if you take them off and find you need to revisit it. Good luck and keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

As the cause of this possible traumatic experience I've been watching....

I still have one in the stash and will learn from Lord Riot's experience....

Getting exciting now!!!!!

Edited by 224 Peter
  • Thanks 1

Peter, thanks for selling me this one, I'm really enjoying the build. So far it doesn't seem as bad as I feared from some reviews - though it did take quite a bit of sanding at the seams, and some encouragement to squeeze together in places, mostly rear engine navelles and the slipper tanks. 

Definitely worth building in my opinion.

It is looking good, the Buc is a bit of a pugnacious thing and I like it. 

How about a new tool from Airfix in 1/24th.......

Well, we can dream....

Yes the jet pipe area looks a bit of a disaster, but the rest has gone together well. 

Keep up the good work! 

I may yet get mine built! 

I think I bought it in about 2000.......so no hurry. I like kits to mature, before starting them! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Any tips for this method?

I'm doing a Hunter F6 for the Nato warsaw pact GB and I tried the blue tac method for the first time last week

It was ok putting the worms on and masking in the infill, but next time I'm going to mask the camo in tape and then add the worms to the edges of the masking to give the soft lines, I did a trial and it seemed easier to me as I got a bit of paint bleed doing it the first way trying to get tape to stick where I wanted it with the worms being raised

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I'm doing a Hunter F6 for the Nato warsaw pact GB and I tried the blue tac method for the first time last week

It was ok putting the worms on and masking in the infill, but next time I'm going to mask the camo in tape and then add the worms to the edges of the masking to give the soft lines, I did a trial and it seemed easier to me as I got a bit of paint bleed doing it the first way trying to get tape to stick where I wanted it with the worms being raised

Thanks Redstaff, so the tape didn't peel off the grey paint then?!

7 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

so the tape didn't peel off the grey paint then?!

No it was fine

I use the low tack Frog tape and Tamiya tape and have never had any issues as long as you don't leave it on too long

I painted the green in the morning and removed the tape in the evening and it turned out ok

• Thanks 1

I must admit that I use blutac & standard decorators masking tape.  Push it on to the blutac for a good seal but I don’t fix it tight to the body elsewhere - cover the areas areas needing cover and add as many 2 inch strips as needed to avoid overspray.  Tape doesn’t take the paint off as it isn’t stuck on it & paint can’t go through or under it as there is a ga under it.  

Looking good wth the body so far

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm testing out the blu-tack and tape method just on the tailplanes first. 

You can save a whole lot of tape... by not using any.

Put the blutack sausage on first, then cut up some lightweight shopping bags and run them along the blutack. I use smaller bits (~4" square) & then just a tint piece of cheapo masking tape to hold the plastic into position with the next.

Saves lots of tape - which can be a bit pricey at times.

• Thanks 1

Nice to see another of Airfix's nightmares beaten into submission. Nice work.

Depending on how accurate you want to build the Bucc, there are a few pointers.

The underwing serial numbers were phased out in the mid 80's. If it is your plan to have them, then an early 80's Buccaneer pre-dates the use of Sea Eagle missiles and the fitment of the AN/ALE 40 dispensers near the airbrake.

Martel missiles were the choice of the day, especially for a 12 Sqn jet.

Rob

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Nice to see another of Airfix's nightmares beaten into submission. Nice work.

Depending on how accurate you want to build the Bucc, there are a few pointers.

The underwing serial numbers were phased out in the mid 80's. If it is your plan to have them, then an early 80's Buccaneer pre-dates the use of Sea Eagle missiles and the fitment of the AN/ALE 40 dispensers near the airbrake.

Martel missiles were the choice of the day, especially for a 12 Sqn jet.

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob, that's great!

I was planning on doing her as around 1987ish, fitted with slipper tanks and the ALQ jammer only, no missiles on this one. 

It's a shame that hardly any kits include those practice bomb dispensers that loads of jets seemed to carry in the 80s.

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So?  There are only 2 colours for a proper Buccaneer; the other one is white.

[See also F4 (in British service, at least)]

As Ex-RAF, I must ashamedly admit, I am a bit partial to the Navy scheme.....

• Like 1