Revell HP Victor B1 conversion. Yikes!

Timmas

Good save on the intake! That's one thing I both like and dislike about resin; its softness. Give me a good, hard slab of Madras (Chennai) polystyrene any day!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Good God man, what have you done!......Have you been taking lessons in the use of heavy industrial deep-mine drilling equipment from my sister Susan? Thank goodness for baking soda and Crazy Glue eh...

Well, as Martian rightly points out, we've all done it at some time or another, usually happens with that all-important, one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable decal that just has to be moved the zillionth time, coz it's just 'not quite right', only to have it tear into 50 pieces and never quite look the same again...Personally, I find resin the best material to work with, it can easily be sanded, carved and repaired, usually by using scrap resin material. Also, in this case, you'll (hopefully), be applying a white primer and top-coat so any repairs shouldn't be as noticeable as say gloss black or silver/natural metal. You have permission to carry on, that man!

Ah yes, all in that perfect clipped BBC English when a house was called a 'hice'

Along with a 'pyund in your pocket', 'ryund-a-buyts', on the roads and the marvellously affected accent of Leslie Mitchell, the early Farnborough commentator, with his 'fuselidge', 'manhooverabilyity', 'syund barrier' and 'De Havulund Cumet airliner'.....ah, a bygone era.

You should see what he did to Darling last week with his moustache net and Baldrick has been walking rather strangely for some time now! 

The two are inextricably linked, (literally)...it should serve as a grim warning to those who dare cross swords with the hero of the Harrow back four, heavy-artillery, flower-arranging section!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Timmas said:

I drilled the port intake. That looked good so I set about the starboard one. Now I know how to use a drill, I know how deep to drill a hole, how often to check the depth and so on. Nevertheless, for some inexplicable reason, I managed to drill straight through the top of the part. That's the top. Not the bottom, nor an edge that won't be seen. The TOP. A stunned silence descended until the full horror of what I had done dawned on me. Needless to say, I didn't take a photo. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind.

giphy.gif

Up to the part where you managed to (cleverly) fix it, I felt a strong sense of deep kinship with you, but then it all went away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Learstang said:

Good save on the intake! That's one thing I both like and dislike about resin; its softness. Give me a good, hard slab of Madras (Chennai) polystyrene any day!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks. Resin is interesting stuff; both soft and had at the same time. This is the first time I've used it in such big chunks, having previously only glued and painted resin pilot figures.

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good God man, what have you done!......Have you been taking lessons in the use of heavy industrial deep-mine drilling equipment from my sister Susan? Thank goodness for baking soda and Crazy Glue eh...

Yep...and if you need dental work doing, I'm your man. Think Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man. It's safe.

Well, as Martian rightly points out, we've all done it at some time or another, usually happens with that all-important, one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable decal that just has to be moved the zillionth time, coz it's just 'not quite right', only to have it tear into 50 pieces and never quite look the same again...Personally, I find resin the best material to work with, it can easily be sanded, carved and repaired, usually by using scrap resin material. Also, in this case, you'll (hopefully), be applying a white primer and top-coat so any repairs shouldn't be as noticeable as say gloss black or silver/natural metal. You have permission to carry on, that man!

Yes I'll be using white primer. Unfortunately I don't have any so am going to my local model shop to collect some. My favourite is The Army Painter (their black is absolutely superb). It works for resin and styrene.

Along with a 'pyund in your pocket', 'ryund-a-buyts', on the roads and the marvellously affected accent of Leslie Mitchell, the early Farnborough commentator, with his 'fuselidge', 'manhooverabilyity', 'syund barrier' and 'De Havulund Cumet airliner'.....ah, a bygone era.

They say the past is a different country. Its true...they spoke (almost) a different language back then

The two are inextricably linked, (literally)...it should serve as a grim warning to those who dare cross swords with the hero of the Harrow back four, heavy-artillery, flower-arranging section!

As I said to someone yesterday...:mental: :rofl:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Thanks. Resin is interesting stuff; both soft and had at the same time. This is the first time I've used it in such big chunks, having previously only glued and painted resin pilot figures.

I've built several full-resin kits. I have to say they turned out rather well, by my somewhat low standards, but I've lately cooled on resin kits due to their brittleness/softness and the use of CA glues (although that didn't prevent me from buying another CMR F.21 Victor/F.23 Valiant kit). Mind you, I'll still gladly use resin bits and bobs to tart up or convert models (I have a very nice Blackbird Models conversion set to convert the old Hasegawa P2V-7 into an RAF MR.1). By the by, although it's not the Victor, I just received my Valiant, which I was able to snag at a reasonable price. I don't care what's wrong with it, or how the intakes are .2mm too wide when looked at from the front, or other such rubbish, she looks great! And that Blue Danube bomb - what a monster - I've already glued that together! Now I have only the Victor on my V bomber list. Vickie, you're next!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

giphy.gif

Up to the part where you managed to (cleverly) fix it, I felt a strong sense of deep kinship with you, but then it all went away.

There was no rational analysis, believe me. It was pure reflex...I'd hit the panic button and adrenaline took over !

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

I've built several full-resin kits. I have to say they turned out rather well, by my somewhat low standards, but I've lately cooled on resin kits due to their brittleness/softness and the use of CA glues (although that didn't prevent me from buying another CMR F.21 Victor/F.23 Valiant kit).

Some mad instinct has been whispering in my ear telling me to buy a resin kit. :lalala: I'm ignoring it.

1 minute ago, Learstang said:

By the by, although it's not the Victor, I just received my Valiant, which I was able to snag at a reasonable price. I don't care what's wrong with it, or how the intakes are .2mm too wide when looked out from the front, or other such rubbish, she looks great! And that Blue Danube bomb - what a monster - I've already glued that together! Now I have only the Victor on my V bomber list. Vickie, you're next!

Go on rub it in. You've snagged a Valiant without taking out a mortgage. Ha, see if I care (turning green with envy) :envy:

• Like 1

Just now, Timmas said:

Some mad instinct has been whispering in my ear telling me to buy a resin kit. :lalala: I'm ignoring it.

Go on rub it in. You've snagged a Valiant without taking out a mortgage. Ha, see if I care (turning green with envy) :envy:

Accept my deepest apologies - it took me years to finally find a Valiant which fit my rather restricted budget (I'm just a poor author, poor in the monetary sense, my prose is pure gold). For what it's worth, I had a recurring search on eBay which periodically sent me messages relating to anything on the Valiant, although it was mostly AM stuff. Don't worry, you'll find your Valiant - stiff upper lip, man!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Yep...and if you need dental work doing, I'm your man. Think Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man. It's safe.

Thanks, I'll stick to Darling and his Black & Decker two-stroke if it's all the same!, if I need a major and immediate extraction I shall rely on my ever faithful Martini-Henry single-shot breech loader and a keg of Old Moorhens Shredded Sporran to see me through...

Accept my deepest apologies - it took me years to finally find a Valiant which fit my rather restricted budget (I'm just a poor author, poor in the monetary sense, my prose is pure gold). For what it's worth, I had a recurring search on eBay which periodically sent me messages relating to anything on the Valiant, although it was mostly AM stuff. Don't worry, you'll find your Valiant - stiff upper lip, man!

Oooh, you'd better not visit Melchett Towers any time soon then Marshall Shturmorak, I'd have to reset the alarm system (Lady M) as I have five Valiants, three Vulcans, six Victors and a partridge B2 in a pear tree stashed away under lock and key. Good lord, I even paid money for a couple of them, (but mercifully, not a lot) :bleh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Having recovered my composure after my stupid and self- induced drilling ’accident’, I’ve made a bit more progress. Not as much as I would have liked to because I’ve been pre-occupied with a load of other life things, not least of which is a component failure in my computer. I’ve never had this happen before. I use Macs; they've been my computers of choice for 30 years, and this is the first one that has ever failed on me. I have to say, those Geniuses (Genii?) in the Apple store are brilliant. They diagnosed the problem quickly, gave me great advice and it’s gone in for repair.  But it’s amazing how disruptive something like this is, especially if you’re not used to it. I’m going to be without it for another week I think.

Anyway, this is what Vic and I have been up to. II re-made the plug for the top of the fuselage as I didn’t like the first one very much. It didn’t fit very well and needed a bit of faffing around with to get it to the right height. This one is better so it will need less filler (hopefully) and should, theoretically, be easier to sand to shape …

Screen-Shot-2018-10-27-at-14-20-04.png

I’ve also whipped off the Omega Navigation Antenna bulge from below the tailcone as mentioned by the General…

IMG-1067.jpg

The fuselage is together and the resin intakes are fixed in place. I used Evo-Stick Control for that. It’s brilliant stuff. I was originally looking for an Araldite syringe but couldn’t find one so I bought this instead. It’s epoxy, but slow curing (it needs at least 24 hours to set really hard) but it’s re-positionable for the first two which is really useful for certain jobs.

A fresh set of elastic bands held everything together while it all set...

IMG-1050.jpg

IMG-1051-2.jpg

IMG-1048.jpg

The intakes are a super fit, so I shouldn’t have to use anything like as much filler as I feared I would. I decided to use just one of the galvanised nails-come-rods on each side; I’m not stupid enough to drill any more holes into that resin, at least, not in those positions…

IMG-1047.jpg

Incidentally, if anyone wonders what the spattering is all about, it happened when the button blew off my spray can…

IMG-1053.jpg

…which has given the inner walls of my shed (where I do spray painting) a rather fetching coating of matt black. Just right for Halloween. There's actually still paint left inside the can, and now that the gas has gone I'm tempted to drill a hole in it and decant what's left. Army Painter paint is really good stuff imo; far too good to waste so I'll try to salvage the remainder. I could use it through my airbrush.

The cockpit is now fixed in place too and all the white bits are painted black…

IMG-1068.jpg

Sheesh, Ready Steady Go. Watching that clip makes makes me realise how old I am (as if I needed reminding). It’s good to see Brian Jones there.

Anyway, I digress. The bomb aimer is in position but he’s still waiting for his windows to be installed. That’s going to be interesting. I’ve opened out the nostrils either side of his station too (the tape holding the fuselage sides together is covering those but you can just see the outline of one of them). A

Now, are there vortex generators beside these nostrils? Yes. Did the General point these out to me? Yes. Am I going to make them? Probably not. I mean, come on, they’ll be tiny and while the General has super-human powers and unparalleled ability, I suffer from a skills deficiency...and I know my limits.

IMG-1052.jpg

I do need to do something about the hollow pipe on the nose though. I'll worry about that while I'm wrestling with the lower glazing

I would like to say that the fuselage sides have actually gone together better than they look in the photos.

I’ve also realised that I need to do a bit more surgery on the underside to remove the housing for the centre-line refuelling gubbins. I reckon it'll be best if I take the whole thing out right back to the panel line because it’s a natural join. If I’d thought of doing that before joining the fuselage it might have been simpler, but hey, why make life easy for myself?

Screen-Shot-2018-10-27-at-08-44-03.png

I’ve cut some circular blanking discs to tidy up the insides of the exhausts which I’m going to try and line with thin plasticard, so I need to work out how long to cut the strips before forming them. Maths was never my strongest point, but by dredging the memory bank I seem to recall that I can calculate the length of these by doubling the radius and multiplying by pi. I used an M8 drill to deepen the holes, so it’s reasonable to assume that the radius is 4mm. When I was a lad pi was 22 over 7, so 8mm multiplied by 22 gives me 176. Divide that by 7 and I get 25.142. Therefore I need four strips, each of which should be a gnat’s over 25mm in length. There will be the job of forming these into perfect tubes, but I’m hoping the holes’ side walls  will help keep and maintain the shape. If that fails, I’ll send away for some brass or alloy tube...

IMG-1065.jpg

IMG-1066.jpg

The exhausts aren't really as deep as I'd like them to be but as I mentioned before, I'm not going any deeper with the drill as the resin is becoming thin in places and I don't want any of it to break away...

Now comes some filling, filing and sanding, or FFS for short. This is something I frequently seem to exclaim when I can’t get it right. Which is often. After that I'll set about masking and attaching the canopy. And the outer wings. That's going to be interesting too. 

That’s it for now. Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.…and huge thanks for all the help and encouragement you've given me so far, it’s really very much appreciated.

On wards and upwards!

• Like 9

It is impressive work! When I finally buy the Airfix Victor, it's going to be a bog-standard straight OOB build. Nothing fancy for this terminally mediocre modeller. Too right about the General; his mighty, nay god-like modellings skills are far beyond the ken of mere mortals such as ourselves.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Tim, you're going at it, hammer and tong!, just the way we 'Over the top and do it for Blighty' types like it...  I should have mentioned the bomb/HDU bay needs extrication and refettling, blame that slacker Darling. 

To save yourself any grief you should get ahold of one of Colin's lovely Victor sets that includes a full-length bomb bay door replacement for the MB kit..... well worth it.

Freightdog Victor parts

You're too kind Jason...the Single Malt and Green Shield stamps are in the post!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Gosh, this is really impressive stuff!

It's very kind of you to say so, but I feel as though I'm winging it tbh (sorry, that pun wasn't intended). The real test will be when I get primer on  :tmi:

3 hours ago, perdu said:

He's right (as so often it must be said), really impressive

:nodding:

Well, sincere thanks for the comps to you too Perdu :smile:, but there's a long way to go yet and anything could happen (some of it already has) ! :wtf:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

It is impressive work! When I finally buy the Airfix Victor, it's going to be a bog-standard straight OOB build. Nothing fancy for this terminally mediocre modeller. Too right about the General; his mighty, nay god-like modellings skills are far beyond the ken of mere mortals such as ourselves.

Regards,

Jason

That's very kind of you, very many thanks. :happy: The next one I do will be straight from the box too. I think I'll try to find one that's; (a) smaller and (b) falls together. Incidentally, my Airfix K2 arrived earlier in the week so I have more Victors to make. My wife has suggested we move house to accommodate all the kits I keep buying. She's alarmed by the size of the boxes. I keep trying to convince her that the finished things don't take up much space but I don't think she believes me :fraidnot:

As for the General, another BM member has a signature that says something like "General Melchett, he's da man". He absolutely inarguably and most certainly is ! :pope:

Btw, those Green Shield Stamps are gold dust...what will you be exchanging them for then?

• Like 1

Great stuff Tim, you're going at it, hammer and tong!, just the way we 'Over the top and do it for Blighty' types like it...  I should have mentioned the bomb/HDU bay needs extrication and refettling, blame that slacker Darling. 

To save yourself any grief you should get ahold of one of Colin's lovely Victor sets that includes a full-length bomb bay door replacement for the MB kit..... well worth it.

Freightdog Victor parts

You're too kind Jason...the Single Malt and Green Shield stamps are in the post!

Thanks General, there's no point shilly shallying around is there? Mind you, I'd like to say that this is all part of a carefully worked out cunning plan. But it isn't...it's real seat of the pants stuff :facepalm:

I've had a quick look at Freightdog, but from what I can see, they only seem to have a tailcone for the Victor at the mo. I'll send them a message to see if they can rustle up a bomb bay door. If they can't I'll crack on with plasticard and hope for the best. I've found the set at Hannants...thanks for pointing me to it :smile:

As for Darling well, the less said the better :bangin:

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 2

No problems Tim,

As for the General, another BM member has a signature that says something like "General Melchett, he's da man". 

Ah, that'll be my Man in Buenos Aires, Uncle Uncool. I keep him buoyed up with the occasional comfort letter from Blighty, a crate or two of Baldrick's finest home-reared catssip wine and the odd hessian, fully encapsulating knitted body-stocking that Lady M dashes up for me to keep out the worst of the Lincolnshire winter weather. The combo seems to keep him sedated for a while.

Glad you found the set, a lot easier than thoroughly thrashing out the rear end of the bomb bay....which neatly brings me back to Darling and the fact that enough said is always, enough said!  

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

...the odd hessian, fully encapsulating knitted body-stocking that Lady M dashes up...

Bugger. I wish you hadn't mentioned that. We're going to the family's latest arrival's first birthday party later and I'll be itching and scratching and twitching and gurning all through it just thinking about it. I won't be surprised to find myself placed in some quiet corner, given a cup of warm milk and have sympathetic glances cast at me all afternoon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, general melchett said:

A Single Malt - good show, old fruit! Blended whiskeys, are, dare I say it - so 'lower-middle'. Not to be allowed. Re the Green Shield stamps, I shall probably use those for a haptic (look it up, I had to) virtual reality* body suit I can wear so that I can relive my triumphant experience at the Battle of the Somme, but this time whilst dressed in full kit as a member of the King's Own 14th Scottish Highlanders Regiment. I'm told the virtual wind blowing up the virtual kilt is quite convincing, as well as rather startling.

As Always,

Your Most Humble Servant,

Lord Lt. Baron Vivian Smith-Smythe-Smith, DSC, OBE, DVD (of any movie with Natalie Portman in it) VC (posthumous)

*I've decided to stop my decades-long struggle to hang on to my sanity and retreat entirely into a virtual reality world of my own making, as frankly I find actual reality to be rather tiresome.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nothing of any real significance to report except that this little box of loveliness arrived from Hannants today (thanks again General for making me aware of it)...

IMG-1092.jpg

It's all beautifully cast so while I'll only be using the bomb bay on this, I'll keep the other bits for one of my Airfix Victors.

The bay appears to be slightly longer (indicated red) than the space it's intended to occupy, so I'll have to shave it down. The rear end is without any specific panel detail so that's where I'll trim. Fitting it might be a bit awkward though. The front sections of the longitudinal cuts (blue) go right up against the intakes so I'll have to be very careful when I make the cuts.

The other issue is going to be supporting the piece from within the fuselage but I might have a plan for that.

IMG-1091.jpg

Things are going to be pretty hectic in real-life terms for me over the next several days, so progress is likely to be sporadic. I'll be back when I have something meaningful to report.

As ever, thanks for looking, and all comments are very welcome.

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 3