Revell HP Victor B1 conversion. Yikes!

Timmas

24 minutes ago, Learstang said:

It is indeed such a fine line between idiocy and bravery, even (perhaps especially) in modelling. I'm led to believe that non-modellers (wretched lot) tend to look upon us modellers as being distinctly more towards the idiotic side. If only they knew the joys of gluey fingerprints on canopies, mis-matched fuselage halves, transfers that stick immediately to any surface without ever moving again rather like a limpet on a pier piling, etc.

Best Regards,

Jason

Ah yes, non modellers; the folk who smile indulgently and ask you things like: 'How many aeroplanes (or whatever) have you played with recently?". They really don't know what they're missing....the smell of glue being one, especially Tamiya Extra Thin. Oh how I love that stuff.

• Like 2

Late to the party here @Timmas, but welcome, and what a great start! I've not attempted a "Biggie" since coming back to the hobby after a very long break, but will eventually. I'm enjoying your build and I am most impressed with the use of the galvanised roofing nails, brilliant!

The Victor was a beautiful aircraft to watch, and you are clearly doing it justice.

Will follow with interest now.

Terry

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Ah yes, non modellers; the folk who smile indulgently and ask you things like: 'How many aeroplanes (or whatever) have you played with recently?". They really don't know what they're missing....the smell of glue being one, especially Tamiya Extra Thin. Oh how I love that stuff.

And don't forget my personal favourite - 'Does the propeller spin?' as they're already breaking the glue bond that kept it from spinning. I really want to tell them, 'Yes, the propeller spins, the wheels spin, and the engine goes Vroom, Vroom!'. Instead, before they get to the ill-fated propeller spin, I try to politely tell them 'Don't touch anything, just look!'.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Late to the party here @Timmas, but welcome, and what a great start! I've not attempted a "Biggie" since coming back to the hobby after a very long break, but will eventually. I'm enjoying your build and I am most impressed with the use of the galvanised roofing nails, brilliant!

The Victor was a beautiful aircraft to watch, and you are clearly doing it justice.

Will follow with interest now.

Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for your interest, and the support. It sounds as though we're similar in both being adult returnees to the hobby.

I'm a bit of a magpie in that I hate throwing things away (although I'm not an obsessive hoarder) as I know some they will 'come in handy' at some point in the future. Hence the storing of a few roofing nails among other stuff. 🙂  I'm going to have to get a bigger shed.

I very much hope I can do it justice, especially as I have journeymen looking over my shoulder. Let's see how it pans out !

• Like 1

I had thought about doing some more on this today as Sunday is, after all, the perfect day for modelling, but I have some other jobs to do instead so I probably won't pick it up again until tomorrow.

I do have a question tho...were these bumps also on the spine of the B1? They're not visible in the factory shot I posted earlier, nor on the one below although it's difficult to tell. (I have a feeling they weren't, which presents me with a filling and sanding job right on top of the fuselage which I'm not looking forward to)...

Screen-Shot-2018-10-21-at-06-27-14.png

Screen-Shot-2018-10-21-at-07-07-21.png

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 4

Hya Timmas. Four pages in!!! How did I miss this? Your first WIP and you’re chipping away like no one’s business. Wonderful stuff.

I know nothing at all about the Victor other than she’s a stunner to look at and you seem to be wrestling her into submission. I’ll tag along if I may.

John. :popcorn:

• Like 1

Tim, only the smaller rear, (DF aerial) dome was fitted to the Mk 1, the other fairing was only fitted to the K.2. The Mk1 had very few lumps and bumps to mar it's graceful lines, unlike the Mk2 that was festooned with them.

These images show the location.

Victor B1, A Flight, 232 OCU

Victor B1/B2 differences

Also be sure to remove the Omega navigation antenna fairing from under the tailcone.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Hya Timmas. Four pages in!!! How did I miss this? Your first WIP and you’re chipping away like no one’s business. Wonderful stuff.

I know nothing at all about the Victor other than she’s a stunner to look at and you seem to be wrestling her into submission. I’ll tag along if I may.

John. :popcorn:

Thanks Johnny and welcome to the HP Victor Experimental Division. It's currently administered by the oldest apprentice in town as all the brainy guys have temporarily moved on to other projects. But they'll be back. Fortunately for me, some of them aren't too far away and they frequently put their heads around the door to see how things are getting on. A trawl through the comments will show who they are and I'm pleased you've joined them!

All being well I'll be posting progress again in a day or two 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Tim, only the smaller rear, (DF aerial) dome was fitted to the Mk 1, the other fairing was only fitted to the K.2. The Mk1 had very few lumps and bumps to mar it's graceful lines, unlike the Mk2 that was festooned with them.

These images show the location.

Victor B1, A Flight, 232 OCU

Victor B1/B2 differences

Also be sure to remove the Omega navigation antenna fairing from under the tailcone.

Thanks Andy. I'm so glad you're taking an interest in this! Funnily enough, I'd previously searched for Victor B1/B2 differences, found a set of drawings but couldn't see the bulges. I probably wasn't looking hard enough.

Anyway, huge thanks for taking the time to dig thee out. I'll take a look at them later today 🙂

• Like 1

Watching with interest as I'm about to embark on a double Victor build.

There are some excellent weathering tips to be taken from The General's build in the October issue of Airfix Model World.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

No problem Tim...but by thunder it's going to cost you! :wicked:

Well, whatever it is it'll be a price worth paying. On reflection I think I'm going to regret saying that. 😜

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Watching with interest as I'm about to embark on a double Victor build.

There are some excellent weathering tips to be taken from The General's build in the October issue of Airfix Model World.

Thanks for looking in Harry. Join the party. :fool: It seems to be fancy dress though. If you can top the good General, :mental:you have my admiration.

I had a digital subscription to AMW but it wasn't as good as having a printed copy in my hands so I've reverted to old school analogue. :book: I've read the General's article; it's terrific. I can't be sure, but I think it's probably what prompted me to get the Revell kit out and have a go at converting it. When my Airfix K2 arrives I might see if I can make use of the Tanker-specific PE stuff that's included in the Flightpath set.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Well, whatever it is it'll be a price worth paying. On reflection I think I'm going to regret saying that. 😜

You clearly have no conception of the horrible things he is going to ask you to do now! 🤮

Martian 👽

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You clearly have no conception of the horrible things he is going to ask you to do now! 🤮

Martian 👽

Hey ho. In for a penny in for a pound, eh? (He said bluffing...trying to stop his knees knocking)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love that photograph of the Victor, Valiant, and Canberra in formation. I can almost hear some tinny, slightly high-pitched but terribly earnest voice saying something like "Today's modern Royal Air Force, keeping the United Kingdom safe from International Communism!' (says he with the avatar of the Soviet Marshal, but don't worry, I'm a Revisionist).

Regards,

Jason 

• Like 3

Thanks Harry, glad to hear that it came in use. 

Well, whatever it is it'll be a price worth paying. On reflection I think I'm going to regret saying that. 

Good Lord, well, now you've really done it! may the games commence...

You clearly have no conception of the horrible things he is going to ask you to do now! 

Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

Marshal Anorakski, are you a theoretical revisionist, historical theorist, an advocate of historical negativism or simply a fundamental Marxist revisionist?...I only ask so I know what size tin hat to order for you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I consider myself to be an immaterial quantum-based theoretical being, metaphysically speaking. Still, it's better than being an invertebrate palaeontologist - poor things, flopping about on stage trying to give a lecture.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good Lord, well, now you've really done it! may the games commence...

You should see what he did to Darling last week with his moustache net and Baldrick has been walking rather strangely for some time now! :yikes:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening gentlemen (and ladies if any are following) lunatics, revisionists, other-worldists, and any other 'ist' that may be patrolling the BM boards this evening.

This is just a short update. You'll soon see why.

After successfully completing my various other round-the-house jobs today and after the washing up was done I was in relaxed mood and thought I'd grab another hour or so in the company of Victor. I didn't have a clear plan of what I would do, I just wanted to occupy myself for a short while so I lopped the foremost bulge off the top of the fuselage as directed by the good General. I placed a supporting tab of plasticard under the hole (so far just glued to one half of the fuselage)...

IMG-1041.jpg

and shaped an infill piece which, with a bit of additional packing to bring it up to the right height and some careful filling and sanding will, hopefully, be ok...

IMG-1042.jpg

That done, I thought Id drill the resin intakes, glue them to the fuselage halves and leave them overnight to set.

This is where it all went to ratshit.

I drilled the port intake. That looked good so I set about the starboard one. Now I know how to use a drill, I know how deep to drill a hole, how often to check the depth and so on. Nevertheless, for some inexplicable reason, I managed to drill straight through the top of the part. That's the top. Not the bottom, nor an edge that won't be seen. The TOP. A stunned silence descended until the full horror of what I had done dawned on me. Needless to say, I didn't take a photo. Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind. What to do? I sanded the raw edge, rushed downstairs to raid the kitchen of baking powder, hared back up to my workroom, grabbed a bottle of superglue, squirted it into the gash and chucked the baking powder over it...

IMG-1034.jpg

After a few minutes I began sanding. 

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

I love that photograph of the Victor, Valiant, and Canberra in formation.

Me too

I can almost hear some tinny, slightly high-pitched but terribly earnest voice saying something like "Today's modern Royal Air Force, keeping the United Kingdom safe from International Communism!' (says he with the avatar of the Soviet Marshal, but don't worry, I'm a Revisionist).

It doesn't look pretty but it feels perfectly smooth. I think I've saved it. I'll have to put some primer over it to be sure, but I think it will be ok. Here it is beside its beautifully clean counterpart...

IMG-1035.jpg

I still can't believe I made such a stupid, clumsy mistake. I'm not doing any more tonight, I don't trust myself not to make another one. I'll look at it with fresh eyes in the morning.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I love that photograph of the Victor, Valiant, and Canberra in formation.

Me too

I can almost hear some tinny, slightly high-pitched but terribly earnest voice saying something like "Today's modern Royal Air Force, keeping the United Kingdom safe from International Communism!' 

Ah yes, all in that perfect clipped BBC English when a house was called a 'hice'

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You should see what he did to Darling last week with his moustache net and Baldrick has been walking rather strangely for some time now! :yikes:

Martian 👽

That Darling sketch when the General rehearses his lines for Georgina is comedy genius. It still makes me laugh just thinking about it :rofl:

• Like 1