Revell HP Victor B1 conversion. Yikes!

Timmas

56 minutes ago, general melchett said:

The problem with the etched part is that it's basically two dimensional. The long window panes that formed the Victor's windscreen were flat plates whereas the upper glazing was curved, in arcs. The problem comes where the flat plates transition into the curved glazing. Bill Clark managed to do a good job on it but only after he's annealed the thing into oblivion...and then you have to fit some appropriate acetate glazing. It's actually easier to use the kit part, sand it thinner from the inside, and then attack it from above to remove the framework, followed by polishing to crystal clarity. I then use either Eduard or New Ware masks for the priming and final paint job, (unfortunately due to the Matchbox canopy being undersized in depth the glazing doesn't quite come down the fuselage sides enough so the masks need a bit of trimming).

This was the method I used on my first white B2R. For the B1 I will use an adapted Airfix canopy. This isn't nearly as complicated as it may sound...

Thanks Andy, this is excellent help and advice and it’s very much appreciated. Your support spurs me on. I do love it when you say things like ‘this isn’t nearly as complicated as it may sound’. Don’t forget, who you’re dealing with here ... 😏

• Like 1

Hello Timmas,

Please allow me to congratulate you on your immense fortitude. Having also used a Flightpath set to create a B.2, I wanted to draw your attention to one of the issues with the Revell/ Matchbox kit, in case you’ve not come across it. 

There is a substantial change of incidence between the undercarriage bay and the outer wing section just inboard of the carrots. IIRC, the angle is 0 degrees at the carrots, vs. 4 degrees at the root. The fix is to cut along the inboard joint on the top and bottom surface by the undercarriage bay, and twist the section up.

HTH,

Tony

53 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It looks like you are going to have to fill around the canopy prior to sanding.

Martian 👽

That’s what worries me. I hate using filler on areas of importance. I’m hoping to minimise it by mostly adding strips of plasticard. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

Far more important than all this plastic fiddling malarky is knowing what to wear for the right occasion and so this year I'll be mostly wearing an aquamarine regimental tutu, standard issue drill boots and a little fluffy Dayglo Orange off-the-shoulder number by Mental Meg of Bedlam. The local Earl's a man of exquisite taste and refinement, so it's low-key all the way...

Yes, it sounds like we are keeping it simple this year, General. Good show! Overdoing things is so nouveau riche. I say, old beast, I wonder if poor Timmas realises what he's gotten himself into with the two of us now a part of this thread? Oh well, the man has to learn the grim realities of Britmodeller sometime.

Best Regards,

Your Most Humble (with a lot to be humble about) Servant,

Four Times Hero of the Soviet Union Marshal Zhukov (A/K/A Jason)

Edited by Learstang
Slight change. Really just a trifle. Hardly worth mentioning.
  • Like 2

I wonder if poor Timmas realises what he's gotten himself into with the two of use now a part of this thread? Oh well, the man has to learn the grim realities of Britmodeller sometime.

I think he's now horribly aware of the ramifications and probably wanted to avoid this at all costs...well, too late I say, he'll now have to live with the dreadful consequences...

Good point with the wing incidence issue. It's not as obvious with the B1's clean wing as it is with the B2's carrots facing due south. I covered this a long time ago with my early MB B2R build. I opted to cut the locating tabs from the outer wing sections and reapply these at the correct incidence (basically level) then twisted the upper and lower parts to match, filled the discrepancies and blend everything together. It was quite a bit easier on the B1.

• Like 2

Dreadful consequences, indeed, General! As for Timmas' models, let's see; he's just gotten back into modelling after a rather long hiatus, and he's already built a Vulcan, a TSR.2, and is now building, nay converting the old Matchbox Victor. Nothing like taking a good dive into the deep end! Good luck on this build, Timmas, and you are a man of courage, and some skill. I may pop up from time to time in this thread to offer my comments, some of which might even be of use.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Good grief. Mrs T and I go out for an evening to attend a genteel function and all sorts of mayhem erupts here. We return home to discover that @general melchettappears to forsake Gieves & Hawkes, the gentleman officer’s tailor of choice, for something more er esoteric, @Learstang has joined forces with said general to cause further confusion and expose the dark underbelly of the Britmodeller massive, and @Martian Hale drops the terrifying filler bomb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Learstang said:

Great work on the Victor so far! I really shouldn't have read this thread as now I feel the need to buy me a Victor (the Airfix one - I had the Matchbox one aeons ago but I feel I need something a bit more up-to-date). And this just after purchasing the Airfix Valiant kit. Ah, V bomber mania, catch it on Britmodeller! Since you have the good General along for the ride, I'm sure everything will go swimmingly. The General is a veritable cornucopia of modellistic information, as well as knowing the best thing to wear to the local Earl's annual fancy dress party.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason and I’m sorry if I’ve led you astray and forced you to buy a Victor. Mind you, I’m green with envy about your Valiant purchase. I’ve been looking, but but the only ones I’ve seen are too pricey for me. I’m  waiting for Airfix to re-issue (which I hope is sooooon) then I’ll grab a couple. I have a vision of two sets of V-bBombers; one set in their natural colour white, and the other with camo tops and white undersides. I have no idea where I’ll put ‘em but I’ll cross those bridges when I get there. Incidentally, if ever build a Victor tanker, I will never ever ever ever ever have it in that ‘horrible khaki colour.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, general melchett said:

I think he's now horribly aware of the ramifications and probably wanted to avoid this at all costs...well, too late I say, he'll now have to live with the dreadful consequences...

Oh god, what have I done?

21 hours ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hello Timmas,

Please allow me to congratulate you on your immense fortitude. Having also used a Flightpath set to create a B.2, I wanted to draw your attention to one of the issues with the Revell/ Matchbox kit, in case you’ve not come across it. 

There is a substantial change of incidence between the undercarriage bay and the outer wing section just inboard of the carrots. IIRC, the angle is 0 degrees at the carrots, vs. 4 degrees at the root. The fix is to cut along the inboard joint on the top and bottom surface by the undercarriage bay, and twist the section up.

HTH,

Tony

Thanks Tony, although I think idiocy might be a better adjective. Thanks too for the heads up on he wings. I’m hoping that my earlier Shakespearean adventure in that area has straightened them out. If not, I’m in deep trouble. If I b***er them up, it might be simpler to change tack and go for a whatif, as if Messres Junker and Handley Page had teamed up to produce a Stukavictor.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

Dreadful consequences, indeed, General! ....Timmas you are a man of courage, and some skill. I may pop up from time to time in this thread to offer my comments, some of which might even be of use.

Er, idiocy might be the better adjective as explained to @Tony Whittingham earlier...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Good grief. Mrs T and I go out for an evening to attend a genteel function and all sorts of mayhem erupts here. We return home to discover that @general melchettappears to forsake Gieves & Hawkes, the gentleman officer’s tailor of choice, for something more er esoteric, @Learstang has joined forces with said general to cause further confusion and expose the dark underbelly of the Britmodeller massive, and @Martian Hale drops the terrifying filler bomb.

You should have read the small print before signing up as mayhem is pretty much guaranteed, nay, compulsory here.

Martian 👽 (Spreading chaos across the Galaxy since 1961)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Learstang said:

Since you have the good General along for the ride, I'm sure everything will go swimmingly. The General is a veritable cornucopia of modellistic information, as well as knowing the best thing to wear to the local Earl's annual fancy dress party.

You’re right about the General’s knowledge of course but as for his sartorial preferences, I’ll have to give that some further thought.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, general melchett said:

Far more important than all this plastic fiddling malarky is knowing what to wear for the right occasion and so this year I'll be mostly wearing an aquamarine regimental tutu, standard issue drill boots and a little fluffy Dayglo Orange off-the-shoulder number by Mental Meg of Bedlam. The local Earl's a man of exquisite taste and refinement, so it's low-key all the way...

If you go to Telford in that garb, I'll try to get myself togged out in a Baldrick getup. If that fails, I'll bring a few billycans of his fabulous trench coffee with me instead

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You should have read the small print before signing up as mayhem is pretty much guaranteed, nay, compulsory here.

Martian 👽 (Spreading chaos across the Galaxy since 1961)

I won't make the same mistake again...😓

• Like 2

It's a three-pronged attack Tim...something you'll just have to get used to. Learstang and I are both veterans of the infamous July 20th, 1916 Somme 15,000-a-side Murder Ball rematch that left an indelible scar on the history of the regiment, not to mention the country, that hasn't been healed to this day........Martian, well he was the ref.....enough said!

I’ll have to give that some further thought.

You really shouldn't...the 'half-reverse kilt' with pink horsehair sporran arrives next week...should go down well with the ladies!

If that fails, I'll bring a few billycans of his fabulous trench coffee with me instead

Ha, you can't threaten me with that one, after last year I have an 'orrible feeling they already serve it :sick:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, general melchett said:

It's a three-pronged attack Tim...something you'll just have to get used to. Learstang and I are both veterans of the infamous July 20th, 1916 Somme 15,000-a-side Murder Ball rematch that left an indelible scar on the history of the regiment, not to mention the country, that hasn't been healed to this day........Martian, well he was the ref.....enough said!

I can see my own Britmodeller scar tissue forming as I type these very words !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Ha, you can't threaten me with that one, after last year I have an 'orrible feeling they already serve it :sick:

Well its better than having to drink Martian poo (100% organic of course) as a forfeit.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You really shouldn't...the 'half-reverse kilt' with pink horsehair sporran arrives next week...should go down well with the ladies!

A mate of mine wore his kilt to our Rowing Club ball some years ago. My then wife (who is Half Scottish) asked him which tartan he was wearing to which he cheekily replied: "It's MacDonald...and there's a beef quarter pounder underneath it. Wanna take a look?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, general melchett said:
5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Well its better than having to drink Martian poo (100% organic of course) as a forfeit.

This brings to mind desperate darts matches with a Gorilla Snot as a forfeit. The loser both had to buy and drink it.

• Like 2

See, you are assimilating into the mayhem quite naturally and will soon be indistinguishable from the maddest of us!

Martian von Wibble 👽

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

That can't be as bad as the depth charge my old rugby club used to make newbies drink, (or man of the match or anyone else they felt like choosing). It was a glass of creme de menthe sitting in the bottom of a pint of cider. The requirement was to stand on a chair (you could keep your clothes on) and knock it back in one go. And keep it down. Once the two mixtures combined it was like nuclear fusion. 🤮

Edited by Timmas
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

See, you are assimilating into the mayhem quite naturally and will soon be indistinguishable from the maddest of us!

Martian von Wibble 👽

It's the aftermath of a wild night out in Cardiff. I'm not normally like this...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timmas said:

Er, idiocy might be the better adjective as explained to @Tony Whittingham earlier...

It is indeed such a fine line between idiocy and bravery, even (perhaps especially) in modelling. I'm led to believe that non-modellers (wretched lot) tend to look upon us modellers as being distinctly more towards the idiotic side. If only they knew the joys of gluey fingerprints on canopies, mis-matched fuselage halves, transfers that stick immediately to any surface without ever moving again rather like a limpet on a pier piling, etc.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2