Revell 1/72 Catalina

dalea

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

According to Scalemates It is based on the Academy kit 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1119687-revell-03902-consolidated-pby-5a-catalina

Patrice

It lists 'changed parts' under the description- probably 'way too much to hope for and doubtful  that they have corrected the cowlings and nacelle fairings that were too small in diameter, but keeping my fingers crossed!

Mike

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

It lists 'changed parts' under the description- probably 'way too much to hope for and doubtful  that they have corrected the cowlings and nacelle fairings that were too small in diameter, but keeping my fingers crossed!

Mike

Probably means "new decals" - shame, because I'd like to see those cowls/fairings fixed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

or that they are using Academy moulds rather than the ancient Revell ones.

At least the ancient Revell moulds had cowls/nacelles closer to the right size ...

On 10/10/2018 at 11:39 PM, Admiral Puff said:

Probably means "new decals" - shame, because I'd like to see those cowls/fairings fixed!

Highly unlikely IMO, in German part means 'Teil' which rules out decals

• Like 1

Also......best not to assume 'test shot' photos will actually reveal the origins of the kit. I well recall several instances where kit manufacturers have built display models from other manufacturers for expediency and to have something to display at toy fairs etc. 'Experts' have then subsequently been caught out when the actual model hits the streets and it is discovered that it is indeed a completely new mould. The realist in me thinks this Revell kit will be a re-pop of the Academy kit but we can all live in hope. Having been fortunate enough to get a trip in one a few years back I have a hankering to make one at some point in the future.     

27 minutes ago, sroubos said:

Well, I don't know the origin of those photos posted above but that is definitely the old Academy kit.

A brand new kit would be nice but, if not then the Academy kit works for me :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

The Academy is a wonderful kit. If you ignore the cowlings.

When I built it I bought the Quickboost replacement cowlings before I realized it's the entire nacelle that's too small. Worse, the Quickboost cowlings are actually smaller in diameter than the Academy ones. They are the only upgrade set I've ever bought that is worse than the original parts it replaces :D

• Like 2