1/10 Waffen SS Soldier

This is a resin kit I bought from China on line,it was a knock off from the original,and it was a devil to glue and put together,a lot of the smaller pieces were broken,I have been painting it for sometime always trying to add more or correct some part I thought may have been wrong,I kind of think it is as good as my talent can take it,I would appreciate any thoughts or help if you think it could be improved ?,I have no one to show other than this site,the jacket he is wearing I purposely gave it a gloss look as it was raining in some of the scense I saw this soldier in,He epitomizese to me what a SS soldier would look like(Damn Scary), Cheers and Thanks

Jim

tn_cfa8484d-8869-46f8-8b5f-dc8c9c9bb356.tn_45d15538-9ff2-4b0b-a7f8-ece9bfcf5226.tn_a3647701-ec8c-4334-9388-b66744e1ee9c.tn_ffc2a145-25f4-46cd-97df-2264cc7823e5.tn_fce8c366-1675-476a-8a09-4dd1dc6b0364.tn_284d03f3-55f7-4c96-98d4-20d5c59ca934.

• Like 8

I think you did a heck of a job with this one, especially knowing that it fought you all the way to put it together :clap:

Only two minor suggestions I feel I can give you: you should probably add more contrast to the belts and straps (outline the borders with a dark tone, drybrush or pick out the edges with a lighter tone) and add some shadows to the hands, especially the one holding the gun. HTH

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the only really bad thing here is you have knowingly given your money to a vendor that has pirated someone else's work - but given prices these days,    I can understand the reasoning.

Some details I can point out:

- the personal webbing was usually black, but just the top surfaces, as sides were worn away back to original brown leather

- the shelter quarter he is wearing looks lime coloured - result of using flash or something went askew in the digital process?   Another way of portraying wet clothing is just to darken the colour - though here I think the material is canvas so probably more durable against water?

- pupils may have been painted past the lower eyelids?

- add a thin dark red wash over the eyes, gives a war weary look, but also

more natural colouring too

- bit more scruff on his face - my preference is using some black weathering powder via stippling method - don't need much!

-------------------------------

As far as full figures go, maybe a few can be found in 1/10 scale, but usually are in the 1/16th or 120mm range.  Try Jeff Shiu:

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/products.html

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Jim, it looks good to me, mate. The sheen on his jacket looks just right.

He could do himself a nasty with that entrenching tool, then again, it may just stop a bullet.

Thanks Pete,and yes it could make a handy weapon as well,Cheers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, giemme said:

I think you did a heck of a job with this one, especially knowing that it fought you all the way to put it together :clap:

Only two minor suggestions I feel I can give you: you should probably add more contrast to the belts and straps (outline the borders with a dark tone, drybrush or pick out the edges with a lighter tone) and add some shadows to the hands, especially the one holding the gun. HTH

Ciao

Thanks Ciao,yes you are right about the belts,funny I thought the same when I saw the pics myself,and will put some more tone to his hand,I did pick out the veins  in his hands with a light pink blush,so thanks again for your kind input,Cheers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Another great job Jim,just out of curiosity i've seen loads of busts done but do any manufacturers do the whole figure...

Thanks Vince,I don,t know myself,but if you read JackG,s comment he has a site you may find what you want,Cheers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JackG said:

I think the only really bad thing here is you have knowingly given your money to a vendor that has pirated someone else's work - but given prices these days,    I can understand the reasoning.

Some details I can point out:

- the personal webbing was usually black, but just the top surfaces, as sides were worn away back to original brown leather

- the shelter quarter he is wearing looks lime coloured - result of using flash or something went askew in the digital process?   Another way of portraying wet clothing is just to darken the colour - though here I think the material is canvas so probably more durable against water?

- pupils may have been painted past the lower eyelids?

- add a thin dark red wash over the eyes, gives a war weary look, but also

more natural colouring too

- bit more scruff on his face - my preference is using some black weathering powder via stippling method - don't need much!

-------------------------------

As far as full figures go, maybe a few can be found in 1/10 scale, but usually are in the 1/16th or 120mm range.  Try Jeff Shiu:

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/products.html

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack,can I get one thing straight I DID not knowingly buy a knock off,I thought it was the real deal did not know until I received it in the mail,it came in a plastic bag with no packaging or instructions,it was advertised as the real thing,I complained to the vender about the broken items and lack of packaging,he did say he would replace the broken parts,but I told him I want no more dealing with him,in my post I should have worded that I did not know it was a knock off,my fault there,I do apologise for that,so don,t think so bad of me.

As for your comments will go back to the bench and try to correct them,nice to have another set of eyes to look at your work,Cheers.

• Like 1

Jim, my apologies too, as I misunderstood the context when you described the figure and where it came from.   That said, piracy was not something I was aware of until I began following the forum over at PlanetFigure.   China seems bad for those sort of things, and if I recall correctly, I've seen an incident mentioned about a vendor in Russia as well.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:27 AM, John_W said:

Nice figure. Seems to be based on this photo.

Waffen-SS_Soldier_with_P35

Thanks,yes that is correct,I have a few books with this Soldier in,one with him on the cover,the kit came with a hand holding the cigarette,I did also find some video of him and apparently he made it through the war,but nothing was heard of him after.Cheers.

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2019 at 5:14 AM, Geoff Mapes said:

This is great.  I too really like the glossy tone of the windsheeter or rain mac.  I also like your use of a lighter green on the mac, adds impact and will stand out on the shelf.

Thanks Geoff,yes the wet look is because the pics I have seen of this Soldier all seem to be in the rain,they were fighting in the Ardennes in the Winter,a very grey and dismal time,Cheers.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, John_W said:

I came across it many years ago in a history of WW2 Infantry weapons, as he has using a captured Browning.

In the photo he's holding a Hi Power. The Germans put these into production using the FN tooling, and issued them to the SS. His weapon is most likely an issue pistol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlieNZ said:

In the photo he's holding a Hi Power. The Germans put these into production using the FN tooling, and issued them to the SS. His weapon is most likely an issue pistol.

Thanks Charlie,he is a SS soldier,and for his weapon,I only quoted what was in this WW2 book.I used for reference.Cheers.

12 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Thanks John,Ahhh you must leave those rodents alone and pay more attention to BM.com,Cheers ☺️.

At the moment, the little critters are hibernating, so not a problem. But instead, we have the occasional visit from a stone marten. Now that's a completely different kettle of fish. It sounds like a demolition squad.🐘

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

..........we have the occasional visit from a stone marten. Now that's a completely different kettle of fish. It sounds like a demolition squad.🐘

Ahh, the joy of country living........:whistle:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

At the moment, the little critters are hibernating, so not a problem. But instead, we have the occasional visit from a stone marten. Now that's a completely different kettle of fish. It sounds like a demolition squad.🐘

Well here's hoping he is enjoying frozen rodent??.We have completely the opposite a large Lizard has taken up residents in our roof.and he has been taking lessons from Michael Flately.And we don't live in the country!!

• Like 1