They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I've just remembered that the second kit that I bought ( after an Airfix Spitfire ) was a dual kit of the Skyray and Skynight, probably by Lindbergh , in possibly 1/96'which had solid wheel wells and head ' blobs ' in the cockpits. It's been re-released several times by different companies since then and I still have one somewhere, just for nostalgia's sake. 

john

Hello John,

I think that there is a pic of this box in my book !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You got me, too.  I’ve always loved these 50s & 60s Naval jets - Skyray, Cutlass etc.  Glad I didn’t have to fly them, especially to a deck, but they’re very cool in a Jetsons kind of vibe.

I kind had the impression you love Naval subjects... :winkgrin: Glad to have you on board :thumbsup:

I've just remembered that the second kit that I bought ( after an Airfix Spitfire ) was a dual kit of the Skyray and Skynight, probably by Lindbergh , in possibly 1/96'which had solid wheel wells and head ' blobs ' in the cockpits. It's been re-released several times by different companies since then and I still have one somewhere, just for nostalgia's sake. 

john

Wow, I didn't even know what a Skynight was ...

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

Hey ... move over, let me in, and share the nibbles, please,

Gene K

Welcome to you too, Gene :thumbsup: Any pointers on scratchbuilding the seamless intakes here, by any chance? :whistle: 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh dear, we've got two now then. Never mind...!! :)

There's no such thing as too much beer ... :winkgrin: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

It's in 1/72 so I'll tag along and watch this OOB build :rofl2:.

Stuart

The kit did come in a box, so.... :winkgrin: :rofl:

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

I would take out the sandpaper, files, Milliput, and then follow Sting67's method

Gene K

Right, but that's not scratch building... :penguin: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 3

Hi everybody;

last night I completed the masks design with Inkscape, here's a screenshot (literally :rofl: )

masks1

Not very defined, I know, but I thin kit shows what I prepared: walkway bands, insignia, codes, serials (only the biggest ones, the smallest are far too small) and the three MARINES writings.

Then I did more dry fitting: cockpit/IP/coaming, on top of the frotn wheel well

dryfit5

The fit here is really good

dryfit6

Also when tested with the front fuselage halves

dryfit7

dryfit8

Canopy and windshield are a great fit too

dryfit9

dryfit10

The canopy doesn't fit open, though; I think I'll have to shave some of its thickness off from the back

Last thing, I test fitted the tail fin

dryfit11

dryfit12

Good (and solid) fit here too. I'm gonna have to get started on the cockpit and seat now, while I also think about the seamless intakes...

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13

That  continuous curve intake trunking is going to test your scratch building skills G, you sure you're not tempted by the aftermarket option? I know which I'd go for and it would still take me six months to finish it.

John. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That  continuous curve intake trunking is going to test your scratch building skills G, you sure you're not tempted by the aftermarket option?

Of course I am, but I'm also quite stubborn and I have an idea ... :coolio: 😏

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Cockpit seems to go together well, can't improve that much could you :whistle:

Stuart, one thing is the good fit, another is the level of detail ... there's definitely going to be some small additions ... :winkgrin: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, Biggles87 said:

john

Hello John !

Is this this box ??

WP_20181011_14_45_46_Pro

Ach Douglass !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Stuart, one thing is the good fit, another is the level of detail ... there's definitely going to be some small additions ... :winkgrin: :rofl: 

Ciao

Small additions ???

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

I told you so ! We no longer can make an OOB build !! :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Small additions ???

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

I told you so ! We no longer can make an OOB build !! :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

No, I mean it, it's just a couple of things ... :whistle::rofl: 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Glue it! Glue it! :D 

The two fin halves might as well be the first things I glue in this kit :winkgrin: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

And what exactly is your daughter doing on this build...nothing...Giorgio's toy. :rofl:

Stuart

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Busted!!!:penguin:

Gene K

She cut the main pieces off the sprues, helped me in taping them together for the dry fit and will assist me for all the tasks she feels she's up to - for all the rest, she gave me green light .... :winkgrin: :rofl: :rofl: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Is this this box ??

WP_20181011_14_45_46_Pro

Ach Douglass !!

I fell for this back in the '70s. The Addar box proclaiming that these were 1/72 scale, but were in fact a much smaller scale ( I don't think the Ford and the Skyknight were even the same scale). I believe these were originally released by Comet.

Sven

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

She cut the main pieces off the sprues, helped me in taping them together for the dry fit and will assist me for all the tasks she feels she's up to - for all the rest, she gave me green light .... :winkgrin: :rofl: :rofl: 

So, will she be doing some airbrushing...loved to see that :rofl2:

Stuart

• Haha 3

That 's the box CC, or at least something similar, it's buried away in a box in another box in the loft at the moment. Yes they were pretty crude, with the national markings embossed on the plastic , but I was about 12 at the time and didn't know any better. One of our neighbors at the time was a  signwriter and he painted the marking for me.

Sorry for the thread highjack G.

John

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Courageous said:

So, will she be doing some airbrushing...loved to see that :rofl2:

Stuart

No, no painting at all for her :winkgrin: 

That 's the box CC, or at least something similar, it's buried away in a box in another box in the loft at the moment. Yes they were pretty crude, with the national markings embossed on the plastic , but I was about 12 at the time and didn't know any better. One of our neighbors at the time was a  signwriter and he painted the marking for me.

Sorry for the thread highjack G.

John

No problem John, not feeling hijacked at all :thumbsup:

@Old Viper Tester thanks for joining! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2