They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Giorgio - that exhaust and the tyres look particularly good to me :) 

Thanks Ced, glad you like 'em! :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

She looks cracking G, really good rescue on the exhaust, lovely work all round!

Keith

Cheers K! :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

As above Giemme.

Fine work as ever, you sorted out the exhaust great.

Markings are good to.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: Markings do look good, if you don't get too close ... :winkgrin:

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful work Giorgio, like everyone else, I'm especially taken with the heat discoloration on the exhaust.

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup: Tamiya Clear paints do work well for the purpose, although as I said earlier I'm not 100% satisfied with the and result 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ciao

As all others, so I won't repeat myself. The exhaust looks very realistic and the undercarriage is also very nice. So what's more to say Giorgio

P.S.: I 'm thinking about a standard phrase for all my comments, on which and what I like and trying to express, as I'm very lazy on writing. Maybe just "Budde standard" (BS) with nuances * - *****. Haaah, I'm such a lazy hog.

Cheers Benedikt

• Haha 1

Hi Giorgio. First off - a belated Happy New Year! And your modelling in this new year is as excellent as always! Superb progress all round. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. First off - a belated Happy New Year! And your modelling in this new year is as excellent as always! Superb progress all round. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, and a Happy New Year to you too! :thumbsup: 

11 hours ago, Massimo said:

She's gorgeous!!!

All those details look great!!!

Bravissimo!!!

Thanks Massimo, way too kind :thumbsup:

Trying to round up some mojo to complete this build, guys. I'll probably manage to do something tonight, then I'm off skiing for a couple of days, so don't expect a MondayUpdateTM .... :) 

Ciao

• Like 2

On 10/01/2019 at 08:56, giemme said:

I'll probably manage to do something tonight, then I'm off skiing for a couple of days, so don't expect a MondayUpdateTM .... :) 

Well, the last famous words, I guess .... I was supposed to go skiing with my youngest daughter, but she woke up on Friday morning with a fever and a sore throat, so the whole WE went pear shaped (to quote @Biggles87 from his Spitfire thread).

There has been progress on the model though, so here we go: black tempera wash on various bits

weathering4

weathering5

weathering6

weathering7

weathering8

weathering9

Then on the aircraft: I used the black wash for the movable surfaces, the wheel wells and the central portion of the fuselage

weathering10

Same for the top side

weathering12

weathering13

weathering14

I let all this cure overnight, then I went on with a dark grey tempera wash on the remaining panel lines. Here are a before and after shot of the underside

weathering15

weathering16

The excess wash was removed using a damp microfiber towel, pulling along the air flow. Same procedure for the top side

weathering17

weathering19

weathering21

After another night curing, I went over the whole model and sparse bits with the final clear coat, a mix of Italeri Flat and Gloss Clear (roughly 50-50), thinned with Windex

weathering22

weathering23

weathering24

Approaching the final stages now; I still had to complete the paint job on the seat, to wit painting the seat belts and harness. I used Lifecolor Light Grey and Lifecolor Green mixed with Light Gull Grey

seat13

Now I only need to do the final assemblies, hopefully within the week.

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 17

35 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic weathering Giorgio!

Cheers Cookie, glad you like her! :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, CJP said:

Giorgio that weathering finish looks very nice and subtle

CJP

Yep, subtle is what I was after. Much appreciated, CJP :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, Massimo said:

I couldn't find better words!!!

Great stuff Giorgio!!!:clap::like:

Thanks Massimo! :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking very nice, nearly time for another build.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :thumbsup: And you're right, time to start thinking about what's next. Up to a couple of weeks ago I was quite certain about what to do after this, now not so much; I'm getting multiple inputs but I'm also thinking of a bit of relief... I shall ponder :hmmm:

Ciao

• Like 2

Wow, I love that wash. Nice and subtle but it just brings the whole thing to life. I'll have to look into tempera.

ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent work Giorgio.  The panel lines really make that bird sing. Bravo sir.

John. 😎

Thanks kiddo! :thumbsup: 

9 hours ago, CedB said:

^^ Wot they said - lovely subtle and realistic weathering Giorgio, great job :) 

Thanks Ced! :thumbsup: As I said, I tried to keep it subtle and I find tempera washes are my way to go for that

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That goes for me too.

Hope you're daughter is feeling better.

John

Cheers John, thanks :thumbsup:  My daughter is fine now, she went back to school today - thanks for asking :smile:

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, I love that wash. Nice and subtle but it just brings the whole thing to life. I'll have to look into tempera.

ian

Thanks Ian :thumbsup: I find tempera washes to be very easy to manage and also easy to remove if you're not happy with the result :wink:  All you need is some water to thin it down and a drop of dish soap to help it flowing into crevices and crannies 

Ciao

• Like 3

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Do you use the ready mixed stuff that's available as kids' paints, or the blocks?

Ian

Ian, I use this stuff:

Tempera-Fine-Maimeri-20ml-002.jpg

Kids' paint and cheap tempera are too grainy, I'd suggest you to stay away from them

HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 5

Hi everybody, getting there ...

Last night I removed the windshield masking and put the seat in place:

seat14

seat15

seat16

seat17

seat18

I've probably already said that, but that Alclad Aqua Gloss I used to dip the clear parts in really is some great stuff! And guess who talked me into that? @CedB of course, no wonder :winkgrin:

I also glued in the gear struts and wheels:

onwheels2

This is probably the only real downside of this kit, since the front brackets of the main struts don't really fit into their slots, and I had to shave a bit on the side of the triangular sections to actually pose them in correctly. No big deal, though.

Look, she's on her legs! :yahoo:

onwheels1

I also painted the exhaust nozzle and turbine face (it's one piece, really): I airbrushed a base coat of Tamiya Flat Black, followed by Tamiya Gun Metal. Then a drybrush with Lifecolor Natural Metal and a black tempera wash

exhaust1

exhaust2

Then I inserted it in place (snug fit, no need for glue), but as I wasn't happy with the contrast with the surrounding area, I dirtied it up using Italeri Flat Black applied with the sponge technique

exhaust3

exhaust4

Not so visible, but that's the best I could do 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 15