They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

Hi everybody, an "early" WE progress report.

I mentioned I had an idea about the seamless intakes, but first: here's what you see looking down the intakes on the real thing (pics are from http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waSry.html)

wasry-25.jpg

wasry-26.jpg

and here is what you see on the model

dryfit14

dryfit13

The inner seam line is pretty obvious, all the rest is virtually invisible. So I figured I could reproduce the seamless aspect without resorting to an aftermarket.

So I have these:

seamless_intakes1

I marked the intake shape on the eraser

seamless_intakes2

seamless_intakes3

then shaped it using an Exacto knife, a file and regular sandpaper to get this

seamless_intakes4

which I then used as template for plounge molding. It took a few attempts to get it right, and I had to adapt the eraser shape and size, which in the end looked like this:

seamless_intakes10

Using some 0.3mm thickness styrene I did this

seamless_intakes5

For the inner side of the intake, I simply cut some very thin styrene to shape (here's a dry test)

seamless_intakes6

and after some cutting and fettling, here's what you see

seamless_intakes7

seamless_intakes8

BTW, that is my daughter's hand holding the model :coolio: :winkgrin:

And here's how it actually looks (it's all only dry fit at the mo)

seamless_intakes9

Prior to glue everything in place, a few other things needed to be done on both wing halves. Top vent (or whatever that is) inner side glued in

topvent1

topvent2

Pylon mounting holes opened with a 1mm drill bit

pylons1

Main U/C bay sidewalls glued in place with TET (I think they will need some reinforcement, I'll do that with some CA)

wheelwells1

The compressor face received a blast of Tamiya White Primer from the rattle can, Tamiya Gloss Gun Metal (airbrushed) and a black tempera wash for the vanes

seamless_intakes11

and it was then glued in place

seamless_intakes12

Additional task performed: the two fin/rudder halves glued with TeT

fin1

Looks like there's no seam

fin2

Then I started working on the ejection seat; drilled the holes on the seat frame while still on the sprue

seat1

then after filling in a couple of sink marks per side, I glued them together with TeT

seat2

The actual seat is only dryfit 

seat3

The seat definitely needs some work in terms of detailing, but I'll let it set properly before attempting any modifications. Does anyone know of color pics of this seat? :shrug: 

That's it for the WE, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 22

Interesting solution to replicate the intakes. I did something similar when I tried to build intakes for a Saab Gripen, but the material I used is very hard and it takes forever to sand it to shape. Your approach seems much easier using a much softer material. Well done!

Ramon

• Thanks 1

OOB ? OK Giemme, great start there.

Thinking out the box already, intakes look sorted.

Great to see that your daughter is supervising this build.

Seat looks OK but I am sure you will find some to add to it.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

out of the box thinking

12 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

OOB ?

Aahh, now I see where we've been going wrong with this OOB melarky. It's not 'OOB' it's 'OOB thinking', we can expect anything then. :hmmm:

Stuart

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Thank you, Benedikt :thumbsup: I had those pics already, sadly none of them helps in terms of colors of the details :shrug: 

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow - now that's what I call modelling!

Great intakes Giorgio - and the seat looks good to me :) 

You're too kind, Ced :thumbsup: The seat is rather different from the original, but I'll content myself with adding seat belts and a few other minor things

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, who needs aftermarket parts when you can produce your own. 

john

Well, it depends on the aftermarket, I suppose. IN this case, I didn't feel it would give me any real advantage over my attempt, so ... :winkgrin: 

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lovely work on those intakes :yes:.

I see that your daughter's roll in this build is purely 'cameo roll' :rofl:.

Stuart

:rofl: thanks Stuart :thumbsup: 

4 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Interesting solution to replicate the intakes. I did something similar when I tried to build intakes for a Saab Gripen, but the material I used is very hard and it takes forever to sand it to shape. Your approach seems much easier using a much softer material. Well done!

Ramon

I heat up the Styrene sheet with a hot air gun set to medium power. Using a .3mm thickness, it remains pretty rigid after forming (well, that depends on how much you pull it, it can become quite thin...), but the consistence is more or less the same of the kit plastic

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

More excellent out of the box thinking there Giorgio, I would never have thought an eraser would have been strong enough to hold its shape when you pushed the plastic card down over it - great stuff!

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup:  I used the same method on my C205 build, and I copied it from an Italian modeller who used it on his C205 build :shrug: Pretty effective, is it? :coolio: It will not take a large number of plounging, though - the eraser tempalte is almost breaking in two now

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Looks like you have been making good progress and great work on the intakes!

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

OOB ? OK Giemme, great start there.

Thinking out the box already, intakes look sorted.

Great to see that your daughter is supervising this build.

Seat looks OK but I am sure you will find some to add to it.

Simon.

Thansk Simon, glad you like it :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Aahh, now I see where we've been going wrong with this OOB melarky. It's not 'OOB' it's 'OOB thinking', we can expect anything then. :hmmm:

Stuart

:rofl: Exactly... :wink: 

Ciao

• Like 7

Hello Giorgio,

Great idea with the eraser !! Very inspiring !! I'll save it on the hard drive !

I mean the one that stand in between my 2 ears !

I'll use some plaster for my F-100 intakes, now the Art School of my daughter gave me a better idea !

Modelling clay for such a large part, that will make it !

Glad to see your daughter actually work on the model :whistle:

I will find another traduction for OOB.... :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

;Thanks CC :thumbsup:

But I really must dissent with all of you guys on this OOB frenzy you are having so much fun with :nono:

All I'm using here is Out Of the Box, no aftermarket parts. All the additions come from my spares box, so again OOB... see??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl2:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hi everybody, quick update. Been working on the seat; on the real thing, there's a hole for the harness to pass through, so I drilled it out with a 0.3mm followed by a 0.5mm drill bit

seat4

That chunky handle on top of the seat is supposed to be the ejection handle, but it's quite wrong in shape and size:

seat5

So I cut it out and replaced with some 0.3mm solder

seat6

and used alu tape to reproduce the top canvas cover

seat7

The actual seat was also glued in place, as you can see. What you cannot see in the above pic is that I scribed a couple of slots sideways on the bottom of the seat, where the belt should pass through (I didn't bother actually passing through, because the seat is a very tight fit into the tub and there's no room for anything protruding from it).

Now I just need to scratch build harnesses and belts - next time, though :wink:  Meanwhile, all comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Page 3, it’s always page 3. Glad I found and caught up Giorgio. This looks like a great build so far. Loving the OOB seat and intakes.🤣 

sorry couldn’t resist. @corsaircorp is right that eraser and plunge method is inspired. I’ll log that if you dont mind.

permission to hop aboard sir?

Johnny.

• Haha 3

On 18/10/2018 at 11:14, Courageous said:

Good corrective action on the seat. :yes:

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, thank you :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Page 3, it’s always page 3. Glad I found and caught up Giorgio. This looks like a great build so far. Loving the OOB seat and intakes.🤣 

sorry couldn’t resist. @corsaircorp is right that eraser and plunge method is inspired. I’ll log that if you dont mind.

permission to hop aboard sir?

Johnny.

Permission granted, J! Welcome on board :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Hi everybody, very little time for modelling during the WE, had friends over, there's been wine (mostly Prosecco :wink: ), so here's what I managed.

The tub sports some nice details for an injected kit, but lacks of a throttle lever, so I carved out the corresponding slot

tub1

scratch built a throttle from brass pipe and PE leftover (it's the tiny thing on the right :rofl: )

tub2

and glued in place

tub3

tub4

I also drilled out the canopy opening cylinder, to receive a 0.6mm brass pipe arm

tub5

Back to the seat: harness and belts made from wine bottle foil, plus some copper wire 

seat8

the side lever comes from a PE set for an Harrier. Time to prime the cockpit stuff: seat and IP coaming

seat9

control stick

controlstick1

IP

IP1

and tub (still quite wet)

tub6

I also made a start in gluing the top and bottom wings, only the front side - it needed a tad of persuasion

wings1

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

Arriving late as usual, but what an enjoyable build thread!

Really nice work on the intake trunking. Looking forward to the development.

Alan

Alan, if you think you're late, you've probably never seen any of my WIPs before. We've just about started here :rofl:  :rofl: 

Welcome on board, and thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Giorgio. I like all the modifictations you have been doing. The cockpit is coming on really well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :thumbsup: I'm trying to keep this build not too complex in terms of modifications, I need to keep my daughter's attention alive :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Steady work there Giemme.

Those little details being added/prepped.

Glad you had a fluid weekend.

Simon.

Fluid indeed, some red wine was had too (although not on the same day of the Prosecco :wink: ) Thanks :thumbsup: 

34 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hmmm, it would take me about 6 weeks to do what you did in your 'very little time' G...!! 

Very nice bit of progress made!

K

Now you're being to hard to yourself - or overestimating my job :wink: It is true that I really feel the urge to start painting this cockpit, though - hence it may look I'm going slightly faster, but I managed to put some dents int the wings when removing them from the sprues, so I have some extra remedial job to do that will slow me down ... :chair:

Ciao

• Like 3

6 hours ago, giemme said:

but I managed to put some dents int the wings when removing them from the sprues, so I have some extra remedial job to do that will slow me down ... :chair:

Typical modelling that - last build you were making dents deliberately, this build fixing those made accidentlally.....!! :rofl:

Keith

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Typical modelling that - last build you were making dents deliberately, this build fixing those made accidentlally.....!! :rofl:

Keith

So true! :wall:

And I didn't mention I also put a dent - well, actually, more of a deep cut - in my left index finger with a razor saw while ... well, you'll see while what in my next update .... 😏

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Sad 2