They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If it's a Fiat biplane, absolutely! How about an Italian WWI aircraft? Baracca maybe?

Ian

Ah, both very tempting! None of them is in my stash, though - and I feel I have to round up all my courage to tackle a WWI aircraft, but some day ...

23 hours ago, billn53 said:

I've enjoyed following this build immensely. The Skyray has a special place in my heart, the Hawk kit was my very first model as a young schoolboy. I have both the Hawk and Tamiya kits in my stash and one day I'm going to do a joint build of the two. Your build sets the bar very high and I can only hope to come close to achieving results as nice. 

Cheers Bill, glad you like her and I hope this build can be of help for yours :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Simply stunning Giorgio, gorgeous job! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks K, much appreciated! :thumbsup: 

20 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wonderful Skyray Girgio!

Cheers Cookie, glad you like her! :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio,

Nice job and one more finished !!

I really enjoyed your thread !

What's next ??

Another sailor's bird ??

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC! :thumbsup: Not sure about what's next yet, I'm considering Tamiya Ki-61 Hien, F4-U1, Academy 1/72 F-4J, Special Hobby 1/72 F86 Sabre, Revell 1/72 Eurofighter, a 75mm Viking figure .... :frantic:

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nicely finished Giemme.

Another master piece sir, bravo.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, you're too kind! :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Cant add more to what has already been said--this build is AWESOME!  

Thanks Erwin, much appreciated 👍

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

As all the other's. Great result.

Cheers Benedikt, thank you! :thumbsup: 

Looks like my daughter was happy about the end result:

IMG_20190118_184222

RFI posted here, BTW

Ciao

• Like 10

Hello Giorgio !!

Congrats to the gentle nice little lady too !!

She look proud about the Skyray !! Nice little girl  !!

Ki-61 I'm doing one but with a lot of resin, see my thread "Tony and Val"

1/48 Hasegawa ??

Oh and I must use your way of painting instead of decals

Since the one I will do did'nt exist or may be not yet produced...

Sincerely

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

1/48 Hasegawa ??

Tamiya, actually. Can you post a link to your thread, please?

46 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Oh and I must use your way of painting instead of decals

Way to go, I always prefer painting over decals :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Always a pleasure following your builds. This one was no exception. Excelent work to the finish. Bravo.

headed over to the RFI.

Any ideas for what’s next dear boy? 😎

John.

The pleasure is mutual, John - I very much enjoy your builds too :thumbsup:

Glad you like her :thumbsup:

As for what's next, as I wrote a couple of posts back:

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Not sure about what's next yet, I'm considering Tamiya Ki-61 Hien, F4-U1, Academy 1/72 F-4J, Special Hobby 1/72 F86 Sabre, Revell 1/72 Eurofighter, a 75mm Viking figure .... 

:shrug: :)

Ciao

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Tamiya, actually. Can you post a link to your thread, please?

Way to go, I always prefer painting over decals :winkgrin:

Ciao

Hello Giorgio,

Here it is,

Have a great modelling time !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's rather wonderful Giorgio, I'm liking that a lot. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve, glad you like her! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio. I see, she seems to be very happy with it. Your job is done (well), I think. What's next? Apart of putting it into her little empire!

Cheers

Thanks Benedikt! :thumbsup: I've just had a run through my stash and I think my next aircraft build is going to be the Tamiya 1/48 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien (Tony). But I might as well start that Vicking figure I mentioned earlier in this thread ...

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio,

Here it is,

Have a great modelling time !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers CC, thanks for the link :thumbsup:

I realized I forgot to thank everybody who followed this thread; well, apologies for that, and you are a wonderful lot! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Gorgeous result Giorgio and a real lesson in weathering and washes - thanks!

All I need now is a bottle of that patience… :) 

Thanks Ced :thumbsup: I almost ran out of bottled patience in my previous build, this one sort of restored the stock ... 😉

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Nice looking F4D!

Concerning those "longitudinal trim surfaces / pitch trimmers". Is there any pictures of them fully extended?

Building the older Airfix kit wich is quite good and well detailed of it's day. And those "pitch trimmers" are loose parts on this kit wich gives a possibility to choose position - neutral or fully extended up or downwards.

I also have the Tamiya kit and the older made by Testor. But I have to say that I like the Airfix kit...

Cheers / André

• Thanks 1

Thank you André :thumbsup: 

12 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Concerning those "longitudinal trim surfaces / pitch trimmers". Is there any pictures of them fully extended?

Like this one?

003b594b62f266fc9500710c8cd47c8a.jpg

HTH

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Thank you André :thumbsup: 

Like this one?

003b594b62f266fc9500710c8cd47c8a.jpg

HTH

Ciao

Hi!

That was really an Skyray with an provocing attityde! And one from VF-74 too. ;)

I like that picture!

But if one make them that way fully extended... ...what happens om the underside? Is there a big gap or some type of plate that close the gap between the fuselage and the trimmers?

Cheers / André

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

But if one make them that way fully extended... ...what happens om the underside? Is there a big gap or some type of plate that close the gap between the fuselage and the trimmers?

You may want to check here:

5535992228_fd3a9c09dd_b.jpg

and here

http://alexsmodelling.blogspot.com/2017/02/douglas-f4d-1-skyray-model.html

These come from googling "F-4D1 Skyray pitch trimmer" - I just gave a quick glance to the result, try it yourself, maybe you'll find more

HTH

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

I had done som search on internet. But usually pictures are taken in such angle that it doesn't show the underside when fullt extended...

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, Andre B said:

Well,

An Skyray with som attitude on the way...

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10831

Cheers / André

Interested in your comments about the Airfix versus the Tamiya F4D. I have the Tamiya now I'm going to have to find me an Airfix one of those, ;) :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Interested in your comments about the Airfix versus the Tamiya F4D. I have the Tamiya now I'm going to have to find me an Airfix one of those, ;) :D

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Actually, I think the Airfix Skyray is one of their best of their kits of that era, 1975 (?). The fit is surpricingly good, it has an detailed cockpit, detailed landinggearwells and landinggeardoors as well. The panellines are raised but fine and the elevons are not moulded to the fuselage as they are in the Tamiya and the Testor kits (they are not glued and only fitted loose to the fuselage on the picture at IPMS Stockholm). I think Airfix really tryed to make a good kit (compared to the Buccaneer from 1989 and Tornado from 1975).

The Testor kit is the oldest, is simple, almost toylike and has some fit and shape issues. But is fun to have if one wants to point out the differences between the kits. Some people think the Airfix and Testor kits are the same. But no, they arn't. I have (or had) an idea to make an Skylancer of one of my Testor kits.

I've got the Tamiya kit as soon as it was available but never really liked it. I admit it has an fantastic cockpit and bangseat. But the panellines is like the latest Airfix Spitfire's wich in my opinion make it a little diecast or toylike.  The underside looks like it is made of bricks compared to Airfix. It also had decals for the same aircraft as the Testor kit. And I wanted to build one from VF-74...

I feel the Airfix Skyray is "cleaner" and look more like the real thing .Yes, I knew the dimensions isn't 100% but I don't care, it looks like an Ford! Short said, the Airfix Skyray is uncomplicated and fun to build. If you can get it build it!

Cheers / André

Ps.

More pictures are coming concerning the Airfix Skyray. Here is one of the cockpit. No one could guess that it was the Airfix Skyray cockpit... ;)

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10521

Edited by Andre B
  • Thanks 1

Mmm..

When comparing the Skyray kits from Testor, Airfix and Tamiya there are noticeable differences with the tails. I wonder if the reason for this is that the Testor kit maybe is based on the XF4D, the Airfix kit on an aircraft with the early J-57-P-2 engine and the Tamiya on an aircraft with the later J-57-P-8B engine. If so the Tamiya kit doesn't replace the earlyer kits from Airfix and Testor...

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10831&start=20

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B