They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

On 21/12/2018 at 13:52, Biggles87 said:

I like the paintwork G.

Happy Winter Solstice for today ( I like to be different ) and Happy Christmas for next week.

John

😄 Thanks John :thumbsup: Merry Christmas!

On 21/12/2018 at 18:40, corsaircorp said:

I'm also a fan of the winter solstice !!

So Thanks John !!

And the same for you and your family !

I just turned a Grand'Pa right now !!

But lila is born 2 month too early, So finger crossed !!

She's now in Neo Nat... for 2 month at least !

Thank you all Guys !!

Sincerely.

CC

Congratulations CC, and best of luck for your granddaughter!

On 21/12/2018 at 19:26, TheBaron said:

Pretty in Pigments that is.

Classy masking, Giorgio, really impressive results.

A merry Christmas to you and yours! 🎄

Cheers Tony, Merry Christmas to you and yours too! :thumbsup:

On 21/12/2018 at 21:52, keefr22 said:

Merry Christmas and a happy and peaceful New Year to you & yours Giorgio - & everyone else of course! :thumbsup:

And @corsaircorp - many congratulations to you and your family, and very best wishes to little Lila, what a wonderful early Christmas present!! :)

Keith (who's never been busier now he's retired and has two granddaughters!!)

Sounds a lot of fun, though 😄 Merry Christmas, you rebel! :thumbsup:

On 22/12/2018 at 23:13, Spookytooth said:

Great work with those stencils Giemme.

Looks wow.....

Have a great Christmas and a peaceful New Year

Simon and Rose.

Thanks Simon, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the Good Lady Rose :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 3

On 12/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, corsaircorp said:

Have a great weihnacht Benedikt ! And some EKU 28 !! Did this beer still exist in Germany ??

Thanks CC. Had schöne Weihnachten here, but sadly no Eku 28. Instead an Andechser Doppelbock, which bangs the same.😁

Eku 28 still exists here Why it shouldn't be here??? No reason to give it up:

https://www.mein-biershop.de/de/Saisonartikel/Starkbier-19/EKU-28-1x033-Ltr---ArtIP-21234.html

Cheers

Edited by bbudde

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are having a good Christmas period. Well done with the masking of the codes and lettering. :clap2:

Hope you have very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio. Looks great. Hope you had also a great christmas.  Mine was fine here and I hope all will stay fine and healthy in the next year. Probably now in an age, where that starts to count the most (maybe tagged now in my conciousness)

Cheers

PS: One of my primar school fellows (not really in contact with her over the years), a wife with children died just 2 weeks  before christmas with a heart attack while binding up the shoelaces of one of her kids shoes (aged 47). Sad, as I have to say and not the only one apart of my Mum's contact's this year!

Edited by bbudde
  • Sad 2

On 27/12/2018 at 22:58, The Spadgent said:

That!!! Was an amazing catch up. Your masking is superb Giorgio and even though touch ups were necessary you sorted them with ease. Brilliant and beautiful work.

merry Christmas kid. 🎄

Johnny 

Thanks J! :thumbsup:

On 28/12/2018 at 21:14, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Hope you are having a good Christmas period. Well done with the masking of the codes and lettering. :clap2:

Hope you have very Happy New Year.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix! :thumbsup: I actually had a great time, and I hope you had the same

On 29/12/2018 at 00:08, bbudde said:

Thanks Giorgio. Looks great. Hope you had also a great christmas.  Mine was fine here and I hope all will stay fine and healthy in the next year. Probably now in an age, where that starts to count the most (maybe tagged now in my conciousness)

Cheers

PS: One of my primar school fellows (not really in contact with her over the years), a wife with children died just 2 weeks  before christmas with a heart attack while binding up the shoelaces of one of her kids shoes (aged 47). Sad, as I have to say and not the only one apart of my Mum's contact's this year!

Sorry to hear about that, B. Let's hope this year goes better

Happy new year, everybody!

My modelling mojo went quite south during Christmas time, so I didn't really manage a great progress. Still, I did something: masking the air intakes to paint the red outlines

painting74

painting75

and here's a pic after airbrushing Tamiya Red and before touch ups

painting76

And after the touch ups (by brush)

painting77

painting78

painting79

And here's what contributed to drain my mojo: I had noticed some overspray on the metallic area right under the rudder, so I tried some touch up by brush with AK Extreme Metal Steel, but I made a right mess of it. No matter what I tried (sanding back to bare plastic then airbrushing, for instance), it still remained a mess:

painting80

Now I'm hoping to fix it with some weathering - to wit, airbrushing some overheating effects. Will see. :wall:

A couple other bits got done, meanwhile: canopy (Mission Models Light Gull Grey airbrushed, followed by a Future protective coat)

painting81

and rocket pods, airbrushing Lifecolor Dark Olive Green

painting82

The model is all glossed now, ready for the few remaining decals/stickers to be put on 😉

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 14

HI Giemme - love that neat masking especially on the red intakes as I have to do that on my 1/32 A4 Skyhawk in the not too distant future - I'm sure you  will sort that exhaust paint glitch and have it looking perfect again

CJP

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2019 at 11:36, stevehnz said:

That is starting to look superb Giorgio, you might only be seeing the oopsies & touch ups, I'm seeing a fantastic looking model in the making, really looking forward to seeing the end result now.

Steve.

14 hours ago, Massimo said:

Great work on those intakes!!!

Well done Giorgio!!!

Today I've gone red too!!!:rofl:

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on those intakes Giemme.

Bummer about the exhaust though, but as you said, a bit of weathering should cover that.

Happy New Year btw .

Simon.

13 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Very cool Giorgio.

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful masking yet again. 😃 Great work.

Johnny

12 hours ago, CJP said:

HI Giemme - love that neat masking especially on the red intakes as I have to do that on my 1/32 A4 Skyhawk in the not too distant future - I'm sure you  will sort that exhaust paint glitch and have it looking perfect again

CJP

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Looking very smart Giorgio - and HNY to you! :) 

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

:worthy:Happy New Year

John

2 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Also from me to you Giorgio a very Happy New Year!

Ramon

Thanks everybody for the praises and the wishes! :thumbsup::thumbsup:  Work will be resumed during next WE, hopefully. I think I'll have a go at airbrushing metal overheating effects, then on with the stickers :pilot: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 10:00, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !

Great red intakes !!

Can't wait to see the beast finished !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :thumbsup: 

MondayUpdateTM  is going on earlier ... here's what I managed to do during the WE.

Exhaust weathering: I first sprayed a mix of Tamiya Clear Blue and Clear Red, followed by a mix of those and Clear Yellow

IMG_20190105_160708

IMG_20190105_160719

Also inside

IMG_20190105_160741

Then while curing I masked the arrestor hook and airbrushed Italeri Flat Black thinned with IPA

IMG_20190105_152833

and here's after unmasking

IMG_20190105_162051

Then I put the stickers on the main AC

IMG_20190105_214612

The "DANGER" arrow on the air intakes was cut out of the original decal.

IMG_20190105_214905

I'm so glad I decided to mask and paint most of the stuff, because these decals were a royal PITA; for starter, they were sticky on the printed side, so when rolling a cotton swab on them to remove the excess water/setting solution they kept sticking to the swab. Then some of them broke after the slightest manipulation, and they seemed to overreact to their own setting solution (I use Tamiya MarkFit Strong). At least I had no silvering ... 

Opposite side

IMG_20190105_214931

and drop tanks

IMG_20190105_215135

As you can see, the blue stripe on the bottom tank moved while I was damping it after applying the setting solution - and refused to move after, so it's staying like that ... :chair:

At this point, I glued in the catapult hooks

IMG_20190105_220424

and the arrestor hook, and airbrushed the whole aircraft with Alclad Aqua Gloss

IMG_20190105_220443

I also completed the canopy, by painting and installing the internal horizontal frame

IMG_20190105_220511

and removed the masking

IMG_20190105_221233

IMG_20190105_221240

In need of a few minor touch ups, but not too bad overall

Bottom view

IMG_20190105_221255

I then brush painted the nav lights with a silver acrylic lacquer, top and bottom of the wings

IMG_20190106_214238

and both sides of the tail fin

IMG_20190106_214259

I also painted the wheels with my usual mix: Italeri Flat Black, Lifecolor Tan and Dark Gull Grey. A Light Gull Grey drybrush followed

IMG_20190106_214341

IMG_20190106_214403

I also applied a black tempera wash, removing the excess with a damp makeup brush.

Same on the main struts

IMG_20190106_214441

and the tail bumper

IMG_20190106_214455

IMG_20190106_214505

Some detail painting on the AIM 9-B too

IMG_20190106_214521

and some black drybrush on the exhaust

IMG_20190106_214855

IMG_20190106_214901

IMG_20190106_214912

I'm pretty happy with the inner side, the top one still needs work.

All comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
Typos
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The heat staining looks very realistic. It's a pity that so many otherwise beautiful Tamiya  kits are let down by the decals.

Near the end?

John

Thanks John! :thumbsup: Near the end indeed! :pilot:

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job Giorgio !!

And pretty good rendition of the heated metal !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

A splendid array of detailing in those last couple of updates Giorgio.

Jobs like that metal touch-up on the tail always freak me out too. :nodding: Everything I build seems habitually to end up with a blob of something that shouldn't be there on somewhere visually sensitive.

You turned that around with aplomb - well done! :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A splendid array of detailing in those last couple of updates Giorgio.

Jobs like that metal touch-up on the tail always freak me out too. :nodding: Everything I build seems habitually to end up with a blob of something that shouldn't be there on somewhere visually sensitive.

You turned that around with aplomb - well done! :clap:

Thanks Tony, much appreciated :thumbsup: I'm not really happy with that metal part, in retrospective I think I should, like I normally do, have left that area as the last paint job. :wall: You live and learn.

Ciao