They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice update Giorgio. She’s looking amazing. Looks like we were both busy on Monday. 😀

Johnny

Thanks J! :thumbsup: And indeed, busy Monday for you too 😄

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio. Great to see more of the progress on this project. As ever, your attention to the smaller details is taking this to the next level. Hope you have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 16/11/2018 at 13:55, PlaStix said:

Hi Giorgio. Great to see more of the progress on this project. As ever, your attention to the smaller details is taking this to the next level. Hope you have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, thanks! :thumbsup: I did have a very good WE, although with very little time for modelling. 

Most of said time went into preparing all the bits for priming; I slightly improved the main gear struts (adding holes and brake lines)

mainstrut3

other bits

mainstrut4

prepriming

In fact, a lot of time went into removing seam lines from the payload. Still the canopy to sort, then I'm ready for primer :pilot:

Comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 13

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A good weekend Giemme, did that include "Vino Rosso" sir?

You bet it did! :rofl: Thanks for the appreciation, Simon :thumbsup: 

16 hours ago, Smudge said:

Coming along nicely. 

Cheers Smudge, thanks! :thumbsup: 

16 hours ago, massimo said:

Hi Giorgio, It looks quite a straight forward build, or at least you make it look alike!!!

Very nice work on those landing gears. Painting isn't that far away!!!

Well done!!!

It is pretty straightforward, Massimo - especially considering I haven't used any aftermarkets and reduced the scratch building to a minimum. Like I said earlier in this thread, a breath of fresh air compared to my recent Italeri Hog ....

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pbaudru said:

Great job so far !

Merci Pierre, and welcome on board! :thumbsup:

Some progress to report today, now I'm definitely ready for priming! :yahoo: 

Some small mods to the front bay door

frontdoor1

The tail hook metallic part masked and ready for priming

tailhook1

I did mask the canopy too, outside

canopy4

canopy5

and inside

canopy6

The inner side is just roughly covered, enough to spray black on the exposed parts and to cover the clear ones; for the outside I had to use the same stuff I use to cut the painting masks, as there was no way to see the framing through regular Tamiya tape (except for the top glazing).

Anyway, after masking the canopy I could safely handling it to trim down the inner side of the back edge, to have it fitting in the open position:

canopy7

canopy8

canopy9

Sort of a snug fit, so it stays in place even without the actuator arm :wink: 

With that sorted, I could proceed with the final masking before primer: the office

prepriming2

prepriming4

Air intakes

prepriming3

and the exhaust area

prepriming5

prepriming6

Now a very cold garage awaits me for priming .... :cold: 

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 16

Hello Giorgio !

A cold garage and a freezed airbrush ???

Very nice job my friend !! Aaaand a Fast one too !!

Can't wait to see that Marines Lady painted !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, massimo said:

Very nice masking!

Let's see what you can do in a cold garage!!!:rofl:

Thanks Massimo :thumbsup: It won't take that long, 'cause it's just the primer, but enough to free my b.tt! :frantic: 

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !

A cold garage and a freezed airbrush ???

Very nice job my friend !! Aaaand a Fast one too !!

Can't wait to see that Marines Lady painted !!

Sincerely.

CC

Cheers CC, I suppose this is pretty fast job for my standards :banghead:  :rofl: 

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

That looks good Giorgio Like to see a coat of paint on that

And for the garage: Let's see yow long you will stay there🤧

Thank you, Ben! :thumbsup:  See above for the garage session ... :cold:  :rofl: 

Ciao

• Haha 3

Hi Giorgio,

Just catching up with this one. I always loved the Batplane. Sorry I missed the start, but all you guys keep starting too many builds, I can't keep up with them all!    :)

This is a sweet little kit, but you might want to be cautious with the stickers. When I built this (right after it came out) I opted for the Navy markings with all the nice stars. Even though I painted the large areas of blue (even I'm not silly enough to try and do that with decals), I had a heck of a time trying to get the decals to conform. I tried all the tricks in the book - using very hot water for the initial soak, gallons of solvent, puddles of Future - you name it, I tried it. They refused to cooperate - they were truly the Stickers from Hades.

Somehow between all of the above, an occasional blow torch, and incantations to the Lord of Decalcomania, they at least went on the model. I saved the finished model so someday I could re-do it with modern decals. All that said, I've heard Tamiya have stepped up their game recently and I hope you don't have any trouble - she's looking good so far!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hi Giorgio,

Just catching up with this one. I always loved the Batplane. Sorry I missed the start, but all you guys keep starting too many builds, I can't keep up with them all!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill,

Starting too many kits ??? :rofl2:

Huh What's too many ??? :rofl2:

Well noted for the Tamiya decals, I've that same kit but at 1/48, I suppose that the decal sheet are from the same breed regardless of the scale !

Will be looking for a VF-74 Be Devillers decal sheet !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Hi Giorgio,

This is a sweet little kit, but you might want to be cautious with the stickers. When I built this (right after it came out) I opted for the Navy markings with all the nice stars. Even though I painted the large areas of blue (even I'm not silly enough to try and do that with decals), I had a heck of a time trying to get the decals to conform. I tried all the tricks in the book - using very hot water for the initial soak, gallons of solvent, puddles of Future - you name it, I tried it. They refused to cooperate - they were truly the Stickers from Hades.

Somehow between all of the above, an occasional blow torch, and incantations to the Lord of Decalcomania, they at least went on the model. I saved the finished model so someday I could re-do it with modern decals. All that said, I've heard Tamiya have stepped up their game recently and I hope you don't have any trouble - she's looking good so far!

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: 

Thanks for the heads up on the stickers - BTW, all the kit reviews I read about it say exactly the same. For this reason, I've already cut my masks; I should probably be able to limit the use of kit decals to the smaller serials and the stencils.

In fact, I've already used one of them, the IP decal. It took 6 or 7 repeated applications of Tamiya decal solution, but in the end it conformed to the IP - so I hopefully can manage it.

I chose a MARINES aircraft scheme, anyway, as this build was inspired by my visit to the Flying Leathernecks Museum in Miramar last summer :wink:  Sounds like a good excuse to avoid that blue nightmare scheme, doesn't it? :rofl: 

2 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi Giemme - the Skyray is a fabulous looking aircraft and I really like your neat work on this model

CJP

Thanks CJP, much appreciated :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3

Excellent progress again Giorgio but especially like what you do with wire to create the cables. You always seem to get it to look right - like on the real thing. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing it with some paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Very nice progress indeed. Or in management gibberish Giorgio:

'The optics on your throughput are positive moving forward into the final quarter of this build. Deployment of paint will maximally leverage existing structures in a manner consistent with goal-focussed delivery to prospective audiences via an established RFI paradigm.'

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress again Giorgio but especially like what you do with wire to create the cables. You always seem to get it to look right - like on the real thing. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing it with some paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix! :thumbsup: As for the cables, you're second to none in that kind of job, and very inspirational too :worthy:

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'The optics on your throughput are positive moving forward into the final quarter of this build. Deployment of paint will maximally leverage existing structures in a manner consistent with goal-focussed delivery to prospective audiences via an established RFI paradigm.'

Say what??? :rofl:

Thanks for the appreciation, Tony :thumbsup:

"Final quarter of this build": yes, I really feel like that - there's a good chance I can complete this before the end of this year...

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

So glad I’ve left all that nonsense behind.

AW

• Haha 1