They called me FORD. Douglas F4D-1 Skyray - Completed! Page 14

Hi everybody;

last August I was in California for a big family holiday/vacation and, among other things, I got the chance to visit the The Flying Leathernecks museum in Miramar, right next to the Marine Corps Air Station and just outside of San Diego.

After the visit, we walked into their gift shop and my youngest daughter insisted on buying this kit, so that she and I would have built it together once home.
Was I supposed to disappoint a 9 years old cute little girl? Not really! :winkgrin:

So I bought it and, after finally completing my 9 months build of the Italeri A-10A Thunderbolt II, I got started with this:

dav

Here's the airframe on display at the Flying Leathernecks:

DSCF4560

and there's an excellent walkaround of it from Bill Spidle on PrimePortal: http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle4/f4d-1_139177/

Since my daughter is actually participating into the build, it will be mainly OOB, even though I already have in mind a couple of ... improvements to be done along the way. 😉

Anyway, the kit looks pretty simple, only two sprues plus the transparents:

sprues1

sprues2

The windshield and canopy are crystal clear form the box, but having recently experienced how tough and resistant to masking (even when leaving the masking tape on for a loooong time ... ) the Aqua Gloss coating is, I dipped them in it and left to cure overnight:

canopy1

canopy2

canopy3

This is the scheme I'm going to go for:

scheme1

scheme2

it's a Marines airframe, of course, as a tribute to the museum and the great time we all had visiting it.

Here's the decal sheet:

decals

although admittedly, one of the improvements I have in mind is to cut my own masks for most of them :wink:

I hope you'll enjoy the build, please feel free to add any comments/pointers/tips any time

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 26

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, I got a front row seat here then Giemme.

I got some wine and nibbles too.

Simon.

Great! Welcome on board :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Looking forward to following another of your builds Giorgio.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix, welcome to you too! :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad to see you making a start on the Skyray Giorgio, it looks like it's even the same squadron as the one you saw in San Diego.

I think it is, Cookie. Thanks for joining! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Wow front row seat also, and in such illustrious company.

It looks like a straight scale down of the 1/48 kit , which was a joy to build apart from the decals which were a little thick, but you won't have that problem if you are going to paint the markings.

Looking forward to this.

John

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

No beer Simon? I'll just nip down the offie then. Save me a seat!

Keith

:rofl: Thnaks for taking care of details, K :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

:popcorn: WooHoo a Ford ... Got the Popcorn and a close seat. 

Hi Dennis, welcome on board :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in too Giorgio - cute looking aircraft and my scale too! :popcorn: 

Good to have you here too, Ced :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

I'm sure this will be a marvelous thread!

The Ford is such a beautiful jet 😍

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Christer :wink:  :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow front row seat also, and in such illustrious company.

It looks like a straight scale down of the 1/48 kit , which was a joy to build apart from the decals which were a little thick, but you won't have that problem if you are going to paint the markings.

Looking forward to this.

John

Thanks for joining, John :thumbsup: Yes, I thin kI''l imit the use of kit decals to the serials and stencils; as a matter of fact, last night I did draw most of the masks using Inkscape (walkway strips, insignia and code letters, the MARINES writings still to do)

I also started cutting out the main pieces from the sprues (sprue gates on the top and bottom wing quite thick and in tricky places) and did some dry fitting

dryfit1

dryfit2

The two forward fuselage halves aren't lining up perfectly, but it's just a matter of reworking the receiving holes for the alignment pegs.

Wings fit looks pretty good, the only (minor) issue is going to be with the air intakes:

dryfit3

dryfit4

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 17

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Since my daughter is actually participating into the build, it will be mainly OOB,

:hmmm:I had a premonitory dream last night: I saw you scratchbuilding the intake ducts for the Skyray, as your daughter was sleeping. When she asked you what were those things, you told her they were hidden in the box and not seen before.

Enjoy your build, Giorgio

Eugenio

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Hello Giorgio !

Almost OOB I would have try to tempt you into this !

WP_20181009_20_30_36_Pro

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Great choice Giorgio, you know that I like these naval birds !

WP_20181009_20_33_23_Pro

Dashboard and seat

WP_20181009_20_34_29_ProWP_20181009_20_33_59_Pro

And nose Wheel !

WP_20181009_20_32_36_Pro

Now ! How many time would you stick to this OOB syndrom….:rofl2:

I think that OOB is out of reach for us… The poison is in our veins for too long a time :rofl2:

I'll take a seat at the bar !

Yesterday was Brit day for me !

WP_20181009_22_05_45_Pro

And here is my other Skyray that will be build with the Tamiya one

WP_20181009_20_47_53_Pro

I think that there is 7 or 8 parts in the box :evil_laugh:

Soooo ! let's enjoy the Giorgio and daughter building !

Sad that my 3 kids have both abandonned model building, their stuff is in the attic waiting for a possible enlightment !! :tumble:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

You all deserve an ice-lolly chaps.

nflag.jpg?w=1000

There's no doubt that you'll be making a tasty job of your variant too Giorgio. :smile:

11 hours ago, giemme said:

I have in mind is to cut my own masks 

Splendid! :clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, 72linerlover said:

:hmmm:I had a premonitory dream last night: I saw you scratchbuilding the intake ducts for the Skyray, as your daughter was sleeping. When she asked you what were those things, you told her they were hidden in the box and not seen before.

Enjoy your build, Giorgio

Eugenio

Hi Euge, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: I suggest you stay lighter for dinner, so that you spare yourself from those nightmares :rofl: Actually, I haven't checked the inner intake area yet, but I had already thought of attempting a scratch building .... :winkgrin: 

Anyway, my daughter and I agreed that she'll only help me on things she feels confident she can actually do, so I can carry out more complicated tasks without her :wink: 

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giorgio !

Almost OOB I would have try to tempt you into this !

WP_20181009_20_30_36_Pro

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Great choice Giorgio, you know that I like these naval birds !

Now ! How many time would you stick to this OOB syndrom….:rofl2:

Soooo ! let's enjoy the Giorgio and daughter building !

Sad that my 3 kids have both abandonned model building, their stuff is in the attic waiting for a possible enlightment !! :tumble:

Sincerely.

CC

:rofl: You're being mean now ... :rofl: Positively no engine detailing or panel opening for this build, anyway! :fight:  :rofl: Thanks for the detail shots :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You all deserve an ice-lolly chaps.

nflag.jpg?w=1000

There's no doubt that you'll be making a tasty job of your variant too Giorgio. :smile:

Splendid! :clap:

:rofl: Thanks for joining, Tony :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Sting67 said:

Good to see you on the next project, Giorgio.

I don't know how accurate you want to be and if you prefer to scratchbuild the air intakes but there's an easy solution.... Here http://xmold-modeling.com/products-page/scale1-72/172-f4d-1-skyray-seamless-air-intakes-for-tamiya-kit/

Cheers

Ramon

Thank you Ramon, very helpful as usual :thumbsup: I'll first check what I can do for the seamless intakes ,but good to know I have options! :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Giorgio, I'm also in here . Like the Skyray. Tamiya shouldn't give you many headaches. Cheers from a sunny summer day in Germany. Being outside is my first choice today and for the rest of the week.

Hey Benedikt, good to have you here too! :thumbsup: We're having a very lovely weather over here too, almost summer as you say.

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Hi Euge, thanks for joining! :thumbsup: I suggest you stay lighter for dinner, so that you spare yourself from those nightmares :rofl: 

OK, Giorgio "keine Gulaschsuppe" for dinner.

Looking at the profile you posted, I see that the nose seems to be pointed downwards. That makes me doubt about, since from the photos I see it is not. I hope that the kit parts are OK. May be is worth checking. (Just had a sandwich for lunch)

Bye

Eugenio

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

OK, Giorgio "keine Gulaschsuppe" for dinner.

:thumbsup: :rofl:

35 minutes ago, 72linerlover said:

Looking at the profile you posted, I see that the nose seems to be pointed downwards. That makes me doubt about, since from the photos I see it is not. I hope that the kit parts are OK. May be is worth checking. (Just had a sandwich for lunch)

The kit looks OK from this shot:

44496384574_afe08e5ced_b.jpg&key=adaaa49

but I'll have a further look. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 3

You got me, too.  I’ve always loved these 50s & 60s Naval jets - Skyray, Cutlass etc.  Glad I didn’t have to fly them, especially to a deck, but they’re very cool in a Jetsons kind of vibe.

• Like 5

I've just remembered that the second kit that I bought ( after an Airfix Spitfire ) was a dual kit of the Skyray and Skynight, probably by Lindbergh , in possibly 1/96'which had solid wheel wells and head ' blobs ' in the cockpits. It's been re-released several times by different companies since then and I still have one somewhere, just for nostalgia's sake. 

john

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 2