Mk 22/24 Spitfires

Kevin1746

I have dozens and dozens of books and reference material for just about every Mark of wartime spitfire, but absolutely nothing except a few images of Mk22/24 Spitfires in action.

Are there any online resources of military action by these version, details of famous pilots, unusual markings etc

I have a spare Airfix 1/48 Model calling out to me to be a bit different

Both the 22 and 24 were delivered post-WW2 and, as far as I'm aware, didn't see any combat use.

The 22 was used by the RAF/ RAuxAF, Southern Rhodesia, Egypt and Syria so there are some interesting markings; the 24 was used by one RAF squadron that later passed the aircraft to the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force, they did have Korean War identity markings applied, although they never saw service.

I don't know of any websites and a quick search doesn't create many leads.

• Like 1

I think 80 Sqn used Spitfires 22/24 over Malaya in counter-insurgency role. Both Egypt and Syria had the type still in service during Suez Crisis. It is often repeated that by that time Egypt used Spitfires as advanced trainers only. Still, I remember reading in one of French magazines (must dig it out and read it again) about an incident on 30th or 31st October when a pair of Egyptian Spitfires 22 intercepted patrolling Avenger AEW (do not remember whether the plane was French or British). As at the time neither French nor British still had not attacked Egypt, no hostilities followed. I have no idea about the type's further use during the conflict, but there is at least a minute possibility the Spitfires 22 had been deployed on Sinai as ground strafer.

21-3.jpg

This is the most well known Egyptian Spitfire 22 photo, taken either during pit stop on Malta or back in UK prior of her delivery. Few more photos can be found here and there are some very scarce information about Syrian Spits here. There is precious little know about type's history there, but given the antique military hardware Syria had been using at the time (Israelis captured at least one German WWII vintage StuG 40 assault gun Syrians bought from France) I would not be surprised to learn the type had taken part in one of many skirmishes with Israelis.

Also, I always liked roundels of Southern Rhodesian Air Force with spear superimposed. Unfortunately, while there is no shortage of Spitfire 22 colour profiles in such markings, I still have not seen the actual photo. I hope this is exotic enough for you. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I think 80 Sqn used Spitfires 22/24 over Malaya in counter-insurgency role.

I'm pretty sure that 80 squadron didn't see service in Malaya, I think they took their 24s from Germany to Hong Kong in July 1949. Spitfire 18s did see combat use in Malaya, I can't remember which squadron though.

48 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Also, I always liked roundels of Southern Rhodesian Air Force with spear superimposed. 

Here's a link with some photographs (no assegai on the roundels though):

http://rhodesianforces.org/No1SquadronPhotoGallery.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

its a start...I am amazed compared with the volumes and volumes  pr wartime spitfire  and their pilots stories at the complete lack (so far) pf post war Spitfire stories.

I know they saw service against insurgents in asia..  but there has to be some pilots stories somewhere about them... quite a few of the published pilots carried on serving in the RAF and flew these marks. but their stories always end in 1945

I have built the standard OOTB 22/24... was just looking for something a little more........personal

• Like 1

One of the volumes of Alfred Price's Spitfire in Combat (I think that's what it's called) has pilot's recollections of 18s in combat in Palestine and Malaya. I can't remember reading anything about 22s or 24s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look for the biography of Duncan Smith, father of the current MP.  He was the last commander to operate a Spitfire squadron in action, in the early 1950s.   Descriptions of the limited actions in Palestine can be found in several books covering the formation of the state of Israel.  (Sorry, no Mk.22/24s)   However there was very little combat flying done in the immediate postwar years,   There was little need seen to re-equip overseas squadrons where their current types were more than adequate for the job, and such re-equipment as did take place was with the Mk.18, dedicated for overseas service, and the Tempest Mk.II.  This was all in advance of the re-equipment of the entire fighter force with jets, and at a time of national bankruptcy.  The last thing anyone needed was a fleet of new but already obsolete fighters.   The Mk.22s were directed to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force squadrons at home.

The closest you will come to a distinctive individual aircraft will be the examples used in the Cooper Trophy races, as in the Airfix kit of the Mk.22.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought this relatively cheap book on the Mk 24 when I was building my Airfix kit -

https://www.bookdepository.com/Supermarine-Spitfire-F-24-Phil-H-Listemann/9782918590354?ref=grid-view&qid=1539133621591&sr=1-20

I think it had a few stories about their operation.

The scheme I finished my kit in is reasonably colourful with black/white stripes due to the nearby Korean War.

I think someone said this is the same markings as on the 1/32 scale Matchbox kit.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Hello

Beard, thanks for the link. Many interesting photos of RRAF aircraft, unfortunately no Spitfires with ˝speared˝ roundels. Also, I checked my sources and you are right, no Mk.24s fought in Malaya, only Mk.18s.

Some information about Egyptian Spitfires Mk.24: in a series of articles about Suez crisis, published in Le fana de l'aviation 2001-3 to -6, Pierre Razoux gave the number of EAF Spitfires as 16, although only six of them had been made operational shortly before the hostilities began and the rest had remained moth-balled. Spitfires were based at Almaza and on 30th October two pilots, F/L Tahseen Zaki on Hawker Fury and P/O Ali Sharmi on Spitfire Mk.24, strafed Israeli paratroopers on Mittla pass. On ACIG web page Tom Cooper also mentions that Israeli paras had been strafed by EAF piston engined fighters, Spitfires included. Back to Razoux's article: on 31st October around noon two Spitfires Mk.24, again led by F/L Tahseen Zaki, intercepted French Avenger ASW on patrol. No further actions by EAF Spitfires are mentioned although one Spitfire is said to be destroyed on the ground on 2nd November, and another two the following day. By the end of the war, EAF lost four Spitfires Mk.22, not counting one unspecified Spitfire, mistakenly destroyed along with several other EAF museum aircraft. Cheers

Jure

There were no Mk.24s sold to foreign air forces, although one went to Canada for winterising trials and was sold there.  Some Mk.22s  were sold to Syria after service in Rhodesia, and these saw service for some time, eventually remaining as wrecks on the edge of Damascus airport for some years after being withdrawn from use. 19 refurbished Mk.22s were sold to Egypt, initially for 2 Squadron, and it was some of  these, then operating with the Fighter Training Unit at Fayid which participated in the Suez war.

The encounter on the Mittla pass is included in Wings over Suez, by Cull, Nicolle and Aloni, but this does not mention the encounter with the Avengers.

Edited by Graham Boak

There's a good book by Nick Meikle about Rhodesian Spitfire 22s, including the ferry flights from the UK to Southen Africa, service in Rhodesia and the restoration (and demise) of Malloch's Spitfire. There's a film too: The Pursuit of a Dream.

And there are some good pictures of Hong Kong 24s here: http://rhkaaf.hk/index.php

Justin

• Like 1

There's no trace of that in Spitfire the History, despite significant numbers of Mk.24s just spending their time sitting in MUs.  I'm sure that one that lasted with 607 (or any other squadron for that matter) long enough to get the squadron badge painted on, would have been recorded on its movement card.  However, looking this up, I did find that PK681 is recorded as spending time with the Singapore Auxiliary Air Force.  I don't believe that any such thing existed: it would be the Malayan AAF if anything but a cleric error for HKAAF seems likelier.  Shame, that would have been different.

Some years back at Warton, one of the office clerks told of his time with the Malaysian AAF but it was all about Harvards.  I'm quite sure he'd have mentioned a Spitfire!  He had done a Lancaster tour and was converting to Mosquito night fighters when the war ended, and in between had what was possibly the last flight anyone had in a Botha.  One needed ferrying down from Scotland - he said it was awful.

607 Squadron had 22s from mid Jan '49 (perhaps one or two arriving sooner, Dec/early Jan) until June '51.  I don't know of that particular scheme, but if I stumble across something I'll let you know!

Edited by gingerbob

I know of a silver Mk.22, but not sure about the spinner nor the squadron badge.  The one(s) I'm thinking of had the later LA codes.

PS  PK613, LA-H, red spinner.  Don't know about the badge.  There is a suggestion that the red spinner was borrowed from 608 Sq, who painted theirs that way.  Another silver one was PK603  LA-Q, silver spinner, no badge.

Information care of Philip Pain, who likes modelling postwar 607 Sq aircraft.

PPS  The earliest arrival I have is PK613 on 3/1/49, with another arriving on 11/1/49 and 4 others on 13/1/49.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1