A couple of Wellington questions

nsmekanik

At the moment I'm slugging away at the Trumpy version of the 1c wellington and I have to say I was a bit disappointed when all the decals came out for the Wellington after Airfix brought out their kit that there wasn't a single RCAF plane in the lot. Having stumbled across this site, Canadian Military Aircraft Serial Numbers RAF owned aircraft, while searching for RCAF Wellington MK 1c's, it would appear that 419 moose squadron was the only operator of the 1c  from what I can find, although the list is not complete. As the kit decals are basically crap in my view I'll be looking to replace those, although at the moment I'm not sure with what, so I thought I'd check to see what the sizes of roundels, codes, and serials would be on the Wellington, and is there a way of telling what the camouflage pattern would be? 

Alternatively I'm looking at maybe getting some Montex masks  mainly for the roundels so I am also wondering which paints would best match the roundel and fin flashes? I'm assuming that Humbrol may have the better matches, although I do have access to other brands, I am wondering how the acrylics range rate, just in case I am unable to get the enamels.

Also I am wondering about the flare shut and flares, did all 1c's have the shut, if not is there anyway to tell which ones did or did not, and what colors were the flares?

Any assistance would be most appreciated thanks,

Tim

• Like 1

No bomber expert here, so hopeful one will drop by shortly.

There is this photo of Z1053:

p_squadron419d.jpg

Serial looks to be red, while the fuselage codes are not quite white, so likely Medium Sea Grey?   Standard letter height would of been 8 and 48 inch respectively - but do do some measuring on your model to compare with photo just to be certain.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, according to the serial that would be VR*F  which served with 419 from Jan 2 1942.  interesting that the codes are grey and the serials are red, which is why it's nice to have a pic. 

These would be the parts I'm trying to find out what the colors would be, Trumpeter would have you paint them orange but I would like to be sure 

IMG_1331_zpsk7pv9yvv.jpg

any input will be most appreciated

beers_zpsca3baa88.gif