Smartphone camera - where/how can I get a remote shutter cable?

bootneck

Like many others, I tend to have my Smartphone with me more often than my camera when out and about; however I am now at the age where taking a steady picture isn't so simple.  I use a remote shutter cable with my Nikon DSLR and would like to know if there is something similar available for a Samsung Smartphone.  I see people using selfie-sticks but those would still be unstable in my hands so I want to be able to sit my Smartphone on a small tripod and trigger the camera without causing a judder when hitting the screen.  Is there such a cable available?  I've tried using the timer-delay but some of the items I want to photo are moving and would soon get out of shot.

Cheers

Mike

Does your smartphone not have a timed shutter release function? Might be a way to eliminate shudder without having to spend anything :)

EDIT, just read you tried that already..

Edited by Avgas
  • Haha 1

Thanks Brian.  I would prefer a cable release, rather than setting up the bluetooth and possibly missing the shot, but I will look into it. 

cheers

Mike

Mike, many phones have a sound operated shutter option. Have a bit of a dig in the phone's camera settings and see what's there. Failing that, get onto Google Play Store and download a camera app that has that functionality, there's literally dozens of camera apps.

The only remote cable that I've ever seen was years ago, and it was an electronic one that ran through the USB port. Can't even recall the name of it now... (Old timer's disease catching up with me...)

Hi Robm

21 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Mike, many phones have a sound operated shutter option.

Hi Rob,  interesting, do I shout or clap my hands? :rofl:  I must admit to not being very knowledgeable on these phones, I don't think I've made a call on it in the two years I've had it.  I tend to carry it just in case I see something interesting to capture an image, such as aircraft (on the ground), ships or bears (visit Canada when I can).  I am finding that I tend to end up inadvertently pushing some button on the casings side, while holding the phone, which sends it off to another program (another shot missed! :jump_fire:) or I get a slight shudder when pressing the screen shutter, causing an out of focus result.  Nowadays I carry the phone and a small tripod and can get the two together fairly quickly, only to ruin the shot when I press/tap the screen shutter button.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

how does a selfie stick work ? it must have some type of remote shutter release in it .

A selfie stick would be too unstable for me, with the phone being at the end of the stick.  I like the idea of the selfie stick but only for the cable and trigger function, the phone would need to be placed on a steady surface for me to get a shot in focus.  I never used to have any probs with stability but recently I find that my hand-held shots are becoming more blurred during the photo taking.

Mike

If you're concerned about hand-held shots, is this for build or RFS photos? Try resting the hand-held camera on something, like a book, a box, a fence post...anything will do.

Either method works Mike. :)

But seriously, if you're not using it as a phone, why not buy a proper small pocket camera? Both Panasonic and Sony do very well thought of large sensor compact cameras that while not cheap (alright, they're bally expensive), are excellent photo making tools. Canon's small cameras at the top end of their range are also quite nice. Here's a link to a review/comparison of the two I mention, and a bit of noodling around that site will lead you to all sorts of fun.

http://bythom.com/camera-lens-and-accessory/sony-rx-100m6-versus-panaso.html#.W7z9Uc8RXk9

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Mike, many phones have a sound operated shutter option.

EUREKA! 

I had a search around and went into settings (gear wheel), and it has another settings icon, and yet again another within that :undecided: but this one had a "Voice Control" setting.  I turned it on and then said "shoot" and it took the photo!   That is amazing and I would never have thought of that.  Thanks for alerting me to this function Rob.

Now I don't need any remote cabling or Bluetooth functions.

I was only joking when I asked if I had to shout at it but it really does have that facility.  I wonder if I can use a different term, other than "shoot"?  Especially when I travel abroad!! :S

EDIT:  I've done some tests and it reacts (takes a photo) to commands such as "Smile"; "cheese";  and "capture" as well as "shoot"

chuffed of Burnham :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just last week, I saw a bear crossing the street, just a few hundred yards down the street from my house. It's not that uncommon to see the occasional bear. A couple mornings ago, these were in front of my house, eating the red berries from my Rowan tree.

44298597965_81d2ed0949_b.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Hi Chris.

Had to smile at your post.   My Daughter and family have recently moved out to Canada and live in Whistler, BC.  A couple of weeks ago she was telling me that my granddaughter told her that a bear had wandered into the schoolyard that morning and they had to go on lock-down.  Earlier this week she told me that she was driving into Town, and rounding a corner she almost ran into a bear that was ambling across the road, I think that the last thing on her mind was taking a photo of it  

Robin.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but the iPhone headphones when plugged in to your device can operate the shutter by pressing the volume button on the headphone cable. 

may be of use to someone

• Like 1