• 2 weeks later...

And we're off! Courtesy of Kingkit:

45523941591_7e3c2a20fe_b.jpg

You certainly get your moneys worth: nice etch, canopy masks (but in Oracal 810 so may redo as kabuki ones on my cutter), assorted resin bits and nice decals:

30582918857_3d714b27d7_b.jpg

Speaking of decals, this faux pas had me measuring everything to see if they scaled everything as 1/48: Just the panel, everything else fits. Will be doing this wheels up as the box top midnight blue one.

30582900627_dd4dc3a8a6_b.jpg

Already crystal clear canopy dipped in Future and tomorrow sees a start on the pit, it'll be tight as I have the next three weekends away but am only onsite with client 2 days a week, wish me luck, my first short run!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Doc72 said:

This will add a splash of colour to the otherwise rather (olive) drab collection of Cobras in this Group Build.

And that colour will be Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue as per the instructions. I found one tin of said unused in a box I was about to give away. Thinned with Mr Leveling, it sprayed beautifully and touch dry in 30 mins. Whaddya know a  "new" Hurmbrol enamel  that isn't pants? This build has an auspicious beginning having been blessed by the paint gods ...

44808969944_311b831896_b.jpg

• Like 2

Onwards first order of the day is a newly scaled ip plus spares in case we have mishaps.

30616092587_467767d812_b.jpg

The stupendously complicated cockpit takes no less than 14 steps, I decided to omit most of the photo etch which actually looks nothing like the instructions, note the leap from step 2 to step 3 with no additional parts added...

44642948115_799ee41745_b.jpg

44831996974_4ffbfd46df_b.jpg

44642984185_3568559fe0_b.jpg

Everything is tiny and a butt join, the locating holes/pins etc are purely a figment of the illustrators imagination. 

There's definitely  a school of Eastern European kit design in which any simple one piece component needs to be at least 10 that are near impossible to get off the sprues, hold and glue. Then having tiny etch parts for flap control chains but making the IP a crummy (wrong scale!) decal or molding a gun sight lens on the outside of the windscreen! This may be more of a challenge than I thought. Its all been primed for a round of detail painting tomorrow while I fathom out how to do this wheels up...So this is what short run feels like.

A few busy day as I realised  I had more time than I thought, this STGB doesn't end next week! So wheels up first: DW give you wheels in halves (with beautiful hub detail to boot) and decently shaped main gear doors

45581308391_116fc1feba_b.jpg

A little hunting on the sprues yields the missing doors, with no hint of their existence mentioned in the instructions:

43764268940_c391cd8452_b.jpg

43763851430_f1c4c8e6a2_b.jpg

Given a "Bell Green" primer  blast and wheel detail painting, most acceptable I think.

31709419798_2be479e4c9_b.jpg

I usually forswear teeny bits of etch but the seat braces look pretty cool. Again painted "Bell green" on the assumption that in 1949 this bird would be still pretty much ex-WW2 issue. I left the radio for the same reason, tiny transistor radios etc were a decade or so away so Mr Tucker would have logically left the radio in.

44857029034_81f7a1566f_b.jpg

url%5D%5Bu

For once an hour or so with the etch was quite enjoyable and tomorrow sees everything being zipped up hopefully. I'm beginning to really like this sweet little kit (even though I'm picking up up a cheap Toko version to use up the lovely extra decals). I take back what I said about Eastern European kit design, the general accuracy, lovely fit and intricate moulding make for some zen like modelling...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 4

welcome aboard Anil with a really awesome build!!!

I'm sorry I missed the start of this, I'm currently at sea with work......not something I normally do.

It's great to see a racer in the GB, I was sort of wondering if someone might/would build one. It's a fine looking model and if it didn't say 1/72nd on the box it could have easily passed as 1/48th with all that detail.

Good luck with her, I'm looking forward to more progress and seeing her completed.

• Like 1

@trickyrich  Many thanks for the welcome. It's good thing I had a pause as AMG's research is a bit dubious: The plane on the box top isn't really right, the clipped wings belong to the white one raced by Mr Tucker, not this one race by a Bob Eucker ( in a plastic footballers helmet no less! The references show a plane with cropped but rounded tips that hopefully are the ones in the box as the resin parts.  The break will let me check a few things like this and spinner shape as now I know where to look there are quite a few photos of this bird in various guises.