1/48 RAF Phantom

Lord Riot

Does anyone know which US Navy F-4J kit would be most suitable to build as an RAF 74 sqn Phantom F-4J(UK) in 1/48 please?

I'm tired of trying to find a Spey-engined one for under £30. Prices of around £60-£65 are frankly ludicrous, especially as J79-engined ones are often less than half that, but I'm not going to get into a rant here, it's a free market. 

Do any of the F-4J kits in 1/48 come with RAF decals as an option?

I have a 1/48 hasegawa fgr version part built on the shelf of doom and as I am clearing out to move house it's yours if you can face correcting errors etc and finishing it. Send me a pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am aware of a specific Fujimi boxing of their J (as an "F.3") and one boxing of the Esci kit containing RAF decals, but this was 1/72. I'd be surprised if Hasegawa didn't include RAF decals  in one of their boxings, but can't be positive. 

The 1/48  Esci is quite OK IMHO and has quite acceptable recessed surface detail; not sure if it includes all the updates found on later Js like the intake antennae, and I don't think it has ever been released by Esci as a J (UK), even though Esci were champions of squeezing maximum mileage out their kits.  Monogram's J is also a legacy mould but said to be quite accurate; again, I think it represents an early 70s mod state so you may need to add some stuff in the electronics sector. Italeri's update of their E/F/G mould to an S does - I think - represent a mid 80s aircraft so may be close to what you need, airframewise, but I don't recall if it has a real J (slatless) option, or if they mixed and matched the navy fuselage with the RF wings to get a J (which I don't think would have been easy, as their RF wing came with faired Sparrow bays).

Not sure if this realls helps... if you're still thinking the J route after that offer in the first place !

• Thanks 1

Any F-4J kit should do, you just need to source some decals. There may be some minor airframe differences (I think the RAF Js had the strengthening plate under the wing, and possibly the periscope for the back-seater) but generally speaking they are the same. Xtradecal did a 74 Sqn history sheet that had decals for an F-4J(UK) and an FGR.2.

• Thanks 1

My Lord,

I would go with the Zoukei Mura kit. It's the newest and probably the most accurate. The contents of the box look very good indeed. There is however one "issue": the rear fuselage curvature looks like slightly out of shape. It should be easy to fix if one so chooses. Unfortunately the decals are for "Showtime 100" only...

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

My Lord,

I would go with the Zoukei Mura kit. It's the newest and probably the most accurate. The contents of the box look very good indeed. There is however one "issue": the rear fuselage curvature looks like slightly out of shape. It should be easy to fix if one so chooses. Unfortunately the decals are for "Showtime 100" only...

Cheers,

Antti

If some 70 quid for a Hasegawa Spey boxing are an issue (which I fully understand), I guess a 140 € price tag for the ZM will be a definite no-go...

BTW, I was not aware Academy has a J, but this is also around the 50 € mark. 

@Lord Riot , did you look for the Revell rebox of the Hase FGR.2 ? They may also command a premium now, but I bought a couple on clearance for 20 €...OK, some 12 years ago. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JohnT said:

I have a 1/48 hasegawa fgr version part built on the shelf of doom and as I am clearing out to move house it's yours if you can face correcting errors etc and finishing it. Send me a pm

:blink: Wow... such a generous offer, John! I think you're such a top-bloke even when the offer was not addressed to me. Congratulations, my mate. Sincerely. :cheers: 

That's exactly the spirit I like whenever I'm on BM.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

:blink: Wow... such a generous offer, John! I think you're such a top-bloke even when the offer was not addressed to me. Congratulations, my mate. Sincerely. :cheers: 

That's exactly the spirit I like whenever I'm on BM.

Cheers,

Unc2

Gives one a nice warm feeling inside.  :drink:

Chris.

• Like 2