USS Nautilus SSN 571 Question

e8n2

Within the next few weeks I will be starting the old Revell box scale USS Nautilus.  I have been collecting a number of photos and drawings on-line as part of researching the project.  I have found two pictures, one of which is here:

nautilus1.jpg

that shows it with what appears to possibly be windows.  Or is it really a radome covering of some sort?  I don't build a lot of maritime subjects but want to do at least one a year for the future and the Nautilus is the one for this year.  TIA.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that those 'window' looking things on the bow are sonar and not windows as that area is usually well outside the pressure hull. As far as I'm aware the only windows that subs have are those fitted in the sail/ fin of some subs.

Stuart

The black on the bow is the sonar covering, as courageous has said, the only windows are on the sail.

reference the Revell Nautilus kit, it is a product of cold war mis-information. The kit bears little resemblance to the real Nautilus.

The best kit of the Nautilus at 1/350 is by Mikromir

Hope this helps

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I have had the kit over 30 years and want to get it built.  I am not surprised by inaccuracies.  I intend to put some plastic strip behind the torpedo opening after I get rid of the torpedos and fill and sand with resin epoxy.  May try to use a thing strip of of a flat black decal sheet to simulate the sonar covering.

Later,

Dave