Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

When is the Airfix Modelworld Calendar due? It sometimes has a clue or two.

December issue is due out on November 1st. and I would imagine that if there is a calendar this year that would be the issue to include it with.

10 hours ago, Chimpion said:

Actually I think the "big" refers to the significance of the announcement, not the size of the kit (which might still be big, but isn't necessarily).

You mean a 1/144 Tiger Moth!?

Sorry, couldn't resist

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is hilarious, of next years ones I know about two have been mentioned, the "                  " and the "                    "  it is certainly not the "                      " , as it is for 2020 and they used the LIDAR on that a couple of weeks ago.  for BIG I think it may refer to demand rather than scale and as usual a lot of the suggestions will break the bank at Hornby 

As for the 262 pic that's not the Airfix guys or LIDAR or the camera they use either ;)

Edited by sniperUK
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, trickydicky210 said:

A reminder here is what the SMW site says:

"PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT

Airfix are planning to make a product announcement on their stand at 11:00 on Saturday morning."

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/about-scale-modelworld/

I don't think the Airfix club counts as a product

And just to throw into the speculation, as the Airfix 2019 thread is closed, Airfix Lidar'd their biggest aircraft at the Seattle Museum of Flight. A few things were ruled out such as a B29 & B52, but someone pointed out they are restoring a Privateer their- that would make a nice subject.

I am happy for Airfix to keep going and providing interesting subjects.

Am hoping that it will be something WW2 or post war related in 1/24 (don't think it will be modern due to the licensing fees).

Just have to wait and enjoy the speculation

Rich

looking at the list in Seattle - http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/.    I reckon it's a P47 or P38..

On 10/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, trickydicky210 said:

Am hoping that it will be something WW2 or post war related in 1/24 (don't think it will be modern due to the licensing fees).

Rich

Good point on the licensing fees. Of course, that could put paid to a new 1/24 P-51B or D. Can't remember, as it's not at hand, but I'm sure my Tamiya 1/32 P-51D is licensed by Boeing.

Steve

The licensing fees arrangements pretty much cover everything American. Consolidated owned by Lockheed-Martin, North American by Boeing etc etc. Don't even mention the teeny vehicle that ryhmes with beep. 

I think it's going to include something wanted that will also sell, so I'd put my money on a 1/24 Griffon Spitfire, 1/48 Buccaneer or 1/72 B-29; rather than something marginal which I'd love, like a 1/48 late Halifax or Sunderland (which you're more likely to see in 1/32 done by Hobby Boss or HKM). 

Tony 

1/72 scale Multi-option VC10 with parts to enable all versions (including the RB211 testbed) to be built with full cockpit, cabin and hold detail , decal sheet covering every aircraft in every livery and all for an RRP of 29.99 BUT does not include the Vickers badge detail on the control column yokes so the whole exercise has been wasted.

On the other hand every chance it will be a set of plastic parts in a predominately red coloured box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wondering if there might be some kind of tie with Airfix/HAC at Home modellers special at Duxford next week?.....I mean, they have a really nice Hawker Nimrod and Hawker Fury in the collection......😉

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Btw, isn't there already a 1/24 P47? 

There is, so we don't really need another one just yet. If an American type, an F4U-1A would be pretty nice in 1/24.

• Like 1

Just been having words with my cat about headless furry bodies on the bed. Apparently the feline grapevine is alive with news that Airfix have outsourced R&D to Trumpeter in China. The source is given as Trumpeter's official company cat. Not so certain is the arrangement that Trumpeter will produce new kits at a rapid rate and Airfix will select the ones that meet their standards while leaving the rest for Trumpy/HB to release. Ends.

• Haha 4

There is a possibility (that probably wouldn't  please anyone here) that the big new announcement  could be a Crusader in 1:35th scale.

I'm talking about the tank not the plane.

Though to be honest I think it more likely that it would be a Spitfire Mk.1 in 1:24th scale.

11 hours ago, sniperUK said:

This thread is hilarious, of next years ones I know about two have been mentioned, the "                  " and the "                    "  it is certainly not the "                      " , as it is for 2020 and they used the LIDAR on that a couple of weeks ago.  for BIG I think it may refer to demand rather than scale and as usual a lot of the suggestions will break the bank at Hornby 

As for the 262 pic that's not the Airfix guys or LIDAR or the camera they use either ;)

Pure guess, but filling in the blanks;

‘’This thread is hilarious, of next years ones I know about two have been mentioned, the Sunderland and the Lysander. It is certainly not the Vulcan, as it is for 2020 and they used the LIDAR on that a couple of weeks ago’’

I also reckon a 1/48 Blenheim IV will be done this year or next. If Revell bothers, a Shack MR.3 will come from them, not Airfix. I’d quite like to see either company scale up their Beaufighters though! 

Cheers,

WV908