Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

20 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

That'd be a scaled-up reissue of the TARDIS for you then!

Infinite space and an infinite amount of time to build the stash. What’s not to love?!

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Plasto said:

1/24 Spitfire mk 1 or Vb or Mk ix is my wish....

Is it possible that since they’re already doing the Mk.XIV in 1/48 that the opted to scale that up simultaneously to 1/24th ? Or st the least 1/32nd ? Just me being hopeful but if you're doing one. It seems like it wouldnt be to hard to duplicate the molds in a larger scale ? 

Dennis

My guess is a 1/24 Bristol Brexit.

A relatively unknown type, it was ordered in a surprise move but then repeatedly delayed as they fiddled with the design. The finished product eventually lumbered into the air, but so big were the changes that it failed to live up to expectations and was quietly scrapped.

Maybe...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is it possible that since they’re already doing the Mk.XIV in 1/48 that the opted to scale that up simultaneously to 1/24th ? Or st the least 1/32nd ? Just me being hopeful but if you're doing one. It seems like it wouldnt be to hard to duplicate the molds in a larger scale ? 

Dennis

Airfix has never done 1:32 planes, for whatever the reason, but would a 1:24 Spitfire XIV be profitable?

44 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Airfix has never done 1:32 planes, for whatever the reason, but would a 1:24 Spitfire XIV be profitable?

Why not , it would be the only one on the market , great for the enthusiast and for the casual buyer a Spitfire is a Spitfire.

Andrew

I'm still hoping for a 1/48 Brigand

Edited by Andrew Jones

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

The 1/24 Typhoon was hugely profitable so I can imagine a Spit XIV in the same scale would also do well. There is the potential for several variants to maximise profit potential from the molds: 'c' vs 'e' wing, clipped wings vs full span, bubble canopy or highback fuselage.

• Like 2

Next year is the 75th anniversary of the Meteor entering service with 616 sqn🤔............. ....mmmmm 24th........Mk1.................🤔

OK - I'm just saying😁

Do I get a prize if I'm right?🤗🤗

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaVenom said:

I think it's about time they redid the 1/24 kits.   The Mustang for a start is way overdue a replacement.

Well they've already done research resulting in new 1/48th kits for the Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf 109E, Stuka, and P-51D. So, you may be onto something. 

• Like 2

I think the reality is there is definitely a market for large scale well rendered kits. Airfix’s sales success with the Typhoon and WNW’s success with its WW1 aircraft let us know that. So a large scale release in 1/24 would sell well if it was well rendered and the subject was reasonably main stream... so why not a 1/24 Spitfire XIV or a 1/24 P-51D...

• Like 1

A reminder here is what the SMW site says:

"PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT

Airfix are planning to make a product announcement on their stand at 11:00 on Saturday morning."

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/about-scale-modelworld/

I don't think the Airfix club counts as a product

And just to throw into the speculation, as the Airfix 2019 thread is closed, Airfix Lidar'd their biggest aircraft at the Seattle Museum of Flight. A few things were ruled out such as a B29 & B52, but someone pointed out they are restoring a Privateer their- that would make a nice subject.

I am happy for Airfix to keep going and providing interesting subjects.

Am hoping that it will be something WW2 or post war related in 1/24 (don't think it will be modern due to the licensing fees).

Just have to wait and enjoy the speculation

Rich

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Given the above - 1/72 747 - it’s big👍👍

or, more realistically a 1/72 de Havilland D.H. 106 Comet Mk. 4C - 70th anniversary next year? Still biggish. And British👍

about time a civvy jet gets a modern tool

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trickydicky210 said:

A reminder here is what the SMW site says:

"PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT

Airfix are planning to make a product announcement on their stand at 11:00 on Saturday morning."

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/about-scale-modelworld/

I don't think the Airfix club counts as a product

And just to throw into the speculation, as the Airfix 2019 thread is closed, Airfix Lidar'd their biggest aircraft at the Seattle Museum of Flight. A few things were ruled out such as a B29 & B52, but someone pointed out they are restoring a Privateer their- that would make a nice subject.

I am happy for Airfix to keep going and providing interesting subjects.

Am hoping that it will be something WW2 or post war related in 1/24 (don't think it will be modern due to the licensing fees).

Just have to wait and enjoy the speculation

Rich

To be fair I think this has become the new Airfix 2019 thread ;) 

• Haha 2