Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

59 minutes ago, cardiff guy said:

A Hercules in 1/72 would be nice, lots of scope for colour schemes.

Well the basic airframe hasn’t changed much since 1954 but there are an awful lot of detail differences that will limit the colour schemes choices unless the part breakdown is ambitious.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fids said:

I'd like to welcome everyone to the 10th anniversary of me posting this at this time of year

1:48 Puma

1:48 Gazelle

1:48 Scout

1:48 Wasp

Thank you for your continued patience.

You forgot the Whirlwind , the real one not the silly WW2 fighter ;)

• Like 3

I am going to put my money on a new tool of an old 1/24 kit.  Either the Ju-87 or Hurricane but I would bet more on the Ju-87 simply because I think it would sell better.  Also they have the measurements from their recent 1/48 kit.  Wish it were something different however, like a big 1/48 plane such as the Sunderland but I would not bet on it.

33 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

Also they have the measurements from their recent 1/48 kit.  

They also have measurements from new 1/48th scale kits of the Bf 109E, Hurricane I, P-51D, and Spitfire I/II/Vb.

If they wanted to do an accurate 1/24th P-40B or Boulton-Paul Defiant based on research for their 1/48th scale kits, I wouldn't object.

There is one thing I can say for certain about the new announcement: some people will be pleased, others will not.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whatever it is, it needs to be profitable for Airfix. So you’re looking at something iconic or recognisable. If 1/24 then a Hawk, Spitfire, Hurricane, P-51, 109 or 190 (if retooling), or a P-47 or P-38.

I agree with others that the bomber version of the Mossie is most likely.

Trevor

Whatever it might be it has to get 4 things right, price, profitability, uniqueness and subject. Which ever order it's in will be different between you and Hornby/Airfix.

My choice would not fit with any of these.

Robert

25 minutes ago, Chris Jephcott said:

1/48 P-38. I saw it my tea leaves

Odd i also was mulling what the kit may be over in my head last night and i came to the same conclusion about a P38 in 1:48. 

But that almost certainly means airfix will never ever release a 1:48 P38...

My personal dream would be a Hawker Sea hawk in 1:24 but i somehow doubt that will ever happen. 

I think it's a nice bit of fun trying to guess what they might bring out and I don't think it does Airfix any harm with all the buzz.

I don't know where the '4 engined' rumour came from, I only saw the 'BIG new tooling' announcement on the Airfix workbench site.

I'm excited by the idea of a 'BIG' announcement and (for me) the Typhoon ticked that box and more. I was (and still am) excited by that 24th scale release, (I have to confess to not being as excited by the Phantom last year, more because of size than anything else) and hope that this one will be another 'wow' factor release.

I get the idea of building on previous kit designs to reduce the costs, but somehow, they managed to seemingly bring a Typhoon 'up out of nowhere' with no previous connection.

I like the idea of linking a release to anniversaries (as others have said and this was the case with the Typhoon) and I think Airfix likes its British aircraft...

There are some tasty possibilities down that route:-

They 'might' have missed the 1918 100 years connection for the actual kit release, but to time an announcement just prior the 100 years anniversary of the end of WWI would be so very apt.

Camel?, SE5a?  (24th)

If thinking of a 2019 release, there's the 100th anniversary of Alcock and Brown ...Vimy?  

75th anniversary of D-Day...Spitfire, Tempest, Mosquito, etc.? (24th)

50th anniversary of the First flight of Concorde? (72nd)

50th anniversary of 1 Sqn being the first operational S/VTOL fixed wing Sqn in the world...Harrier? (24th)

I'd throw an E.E. Lightning, Hawk, Buccaneer and Tornado in 24th scale at any time, just in case Airfix want future ideas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobsyouruncle said:

They 'might' have missed the 1918 100 years connection for the actual kit release, but to time an announcement just prior the 100 years anniversary of the end of WWI would be so very apt.

Camel?, SE5a?  (24th)

If thinking of a 2019 release, there's the 100th anniversary of Alcock and Brown ...Vimy?  

For the announcement at least, they are about drop dead spot on on the 100th anniversary of the end of that tragedy. A potential Problem with a WW I type would be the inevitable comparison with WNW...

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

I agree with others that the bomber version of the Mossie is most likely.

I think it's not likely. If Airfix had tooled up the bomber parts when they did the FB, the kit would have been released by now. Just look at how closely the car-door Typhoon followed on from the original issue. The problem is that the Mosquito was designed using a different CAD system than the one Airfix uses now and Airfix has said they aren't going to upgrade these older kits, or the legacy tooling, with new tooled parts anymore.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

A potential Problem with a WW I type would be the inevitable comparison with WNW...

I'd guess that most of the Airfix target audience has no idea what a Wingnut Wings is ....

• Like 1

I have no idea what Airfix will reveal in this 'big' unveil 

but imho I would only call big a 

1/24 new tool ( not a modified existing tool)

1/48 multi engine or large jet I.e not a new 1/48 spitfire 

1/48 helicopter 

1/72 large aircraft l.e a Vulcan or Lincoln

1/350 ship

or something that I haven't thought of, but will be series 9 or higher

i am not saying Airfix won't produce a 1/72 P-47 Razorback for example, just that it won't be the kit that's announced at Telford 

only 3 weeks or so to keep speculating 

cheers Rich