Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

"Modellers will be excited to know we're re-issuing 2010's Hurricane IIc kit, a very popular seller which will appeal to many."

-- Airfix at Telford, probably

Lol. Sounds about right! Would love a iic of the standard of their mk.i! (Got the hase kit, but the off center vertical tail bugs me!)

From the 11 pagrs so far, can someone  share for us antipodean folk when the announcement is expected? ☺

6 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

My guess is either a 1/72 Vulcan or  a 1/24 Mosquito bomber. Both are ‘’ big´´

I'm guessing a Mosquito will be released at some point soon - after the Spitfires, Hurricanes, Typhoons and Sea Furies it's another "obvious" RAF WW2 type that hasn't had any attention from Airfix. Though I have a feeling that they'll go 1/48 rather than 24, since Tamiya and HK already have 32nd offerings.

I'd respectfully suggest that the 1/24th FBVI counts as at least some attention for the Mossie from Airfix...

As an entirely off-the-wall and wrong suggestion - a Voyager.

It's the RAF's largest aircraft and would thus be a 'big' announcement... 

It'd be a little odd, I think, if the big announcement 100 years since the formation of the RAF and 100 years since the end of the First World War didn't cover a British aircraft. Whether that would be something like a 24th Camel or SE 5a (or a Sopwith Dolphin or Triplane for that hint of 'wasn't expecting that), or (still in 24th) a Meteor, later Spitfire (IX? XIV?) or a Harrier (In 24th, one which doesn't involve slicing a GR1 about; or perhaps a GR7/9 in 48th) might be appropriate.

But so, for that matter, might be a Typhoon FGR4 (the current Airfix offering is a bit... well...) in either 72nd or 48th or a Tornado GR4 - in fact, a new tool Airfix Tornado in 72 or 48th would be extremely welcome , even allowing for Revell's efforts in both scales - let's not forget that the Tornado, in GR form, first flew in 1974 (well, in IDS form, to be precise), so 2019 marks 45 years for the type; it marks the retirement from RAF service after 40 years [first one handed over to the RAF in 1979].  Given that the Tornado is, like it or not, one of the most significant aircraft in the history of the RAF, it could well be the year to bring one out...

8 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Lol. Sounds about right! Would love a iic of the standard of their mk.i! (Got the hase kit, but the off center vertical tail bugs me!)

From the 11 pagrs so far, can someone  share for us antipodean folk when the announcement is expected? ☺

It's on SMW Saturday 10th November at 10am GMT apparently the website will update as well.

XV107 I like your reasoning but would they really try and top Revell's recent offerings? I doubt it will be the big announcement but a fitting Centenary subject would be the R.E.8 the reason the RAF was formed (to protect them). Never done in 1/48.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, averarandy said:

By big news, do they mean a big scale, or big in size, or big news, as in exciting? 

areva

Or big let down!!:wicked::whistle: In fact, I can already hear the cries of ; " Not another..............(insert as appropriate), "Not my scale/wrong scale!", "unaffordable/too expensive!", "modellers are screaming out for ................................(insert), not another..................................(insert), " why is it yet another aeroplane", etc etc! To be perfectly candid, I will probably end up as one of the above myself!:lol:. But, that's all part of the fun! I am as much looking forward to the communal howls, wails and gnashing of teeth from disappointed modellers as I am to the announcement itself!

I dont think I'm being cynical, just realistic! Whatever Airfix produce at least somebody will be happy & that's what matters. They will never, EVER satisfy everybody.  I'd rather see them produce kits I have no interest in than be out of business and produce no kits at all. If I don't like what they offer, I go elsewhere . It's not difficult. If I do like what they offer, it's a bonus! What do I personally want? Well, you might laugh at this but I want to see what the next lot of Vintage Classics is!

As for producing something other than aeroplanes? Well, I have absolutely no issue with them continuing to concentrate on items they know are going to sell. If I want something other than a wingy thingy, I go elsewhere. Airfix is just one company amongst many. Besides, if they do try to diversify they will be up against a lot of very serious competition. Maybe that is for the (hopefully) not too distant future?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

"Modellers will be excited to know we're re-issuing 2010's Hurricane IIc kit, a very popular seller which will appeal to many."

-- Airfix at Telford, probably

Works for me! I'll add it to the five I have already :lol:

Allan

Just wondering if anyone saw the 24th scale Typhoon coming? I can't remember the build-up before the announcement, only the excitement at seeing it for the first time at Telford and thinking 'wow!' (I'm still excited about it when I get the

chance to do a bit of it in between all the other chores).

Were there any hints previously? Had anyone predicted it? Just curious as as it was like a very welcome bolt out of the blue for me.

Just found the thread back on page 129 I think, saying about a rumoured new 24th scale jet?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946758-rumoured-new-24th-scale-jet-from-airfix-any-ideas/

Interesting comparing guesses from back then to now.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
Just found link

We are sure it's going to be a kit, right? I'm just trying to recall if Airfix has called it anything other than a "product". :hmmm:

• Like 1

It would be a terrible disappointment if after all these musings and words and speculation and postings about this kit and that kit and what the Airfix 2019 product announcement will be or won’t be or should be, that we then all turn up at Telford and at one minute past eleven on the Saturday after the dancers have exited the area and the curtain drops on the glass cabinet (I imagine that is how Airfix do their product announcements), if after all that we then find out that the all-new Airfix kit for 2019 is the Granger Archaeopteryx.

In 1/144th scale.

I’ll get my coat.

• Haha 6

I don’t normally participate in speculation but I did start my Frog/Airfix Beaufort/fighter mashup with the express intention of forcing their hand!

I would be tempted to put to put a fiver on either a 1/24 Spitfire (outdated, replacement well overdue) or Defiant (apparently popular beyond expectations in the other scales). 

I am aiming to be there to hear it from them directly.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 16/10/2018 at 16:37, trickydicky210 said:

As for the Lidar shanigans at the Museum of flight, the chap mentioned it was the biggest thing Airfix had Lidar'd, the previous being the HE111

Just to put the cat amongst pigeons, 1:48 Lancaster...

19 minutes ago, Tony C said:

Just to put the cat amongst pigeons, 1:48 Lancaster...

Except that they don't have a Lancaster at the Museum of Flight ......

Here is the list of aircraft bigger than a He 111 they do have:

Boeing 727-022

Boeing 737-130

Boeing 747-121 (imagine LIDARing that thing!)

Boeing 787

Boeing B-17F

Boeing B-29

Boeing B-52

Boeing VC-137B "Air Force One"

Boeing WB-47E

BAC Concorde

DH 106 Comet 4C

Lockheed 1049G Super Constellation

Lockheed M-21 Blackbird Drone Carrier

And that's it! Of those, it seems to me the most likely to attract Airfix's interest would be the Comet and Concorde, but it seems odd that they would have to go to Seattle to scan them when there are examples in the UK.

If you eliminate the other jet airliners, you are left with:

Boeing B-17F

Boeing B-29

Boeing B-52

Boeing WB-47E

Apparently it's not a B-29 or B-52 (and why would they need to scan the B-17 when it's only got detail changes from the B-17G they have already done), so that leaves:

Boeing WB-47E

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

a fitting Centenary subject would be the R.E.8 the reason the RAF was formed (to protect them). Never done in 1/48.

Actually, the RE8 has been done in 1/48 scale: John Adams produced a limited run injection kit about 20 years ago. But you're absolutely right, it would be the ideal choice for a new, mainstream kit to mark the centenary as it was probably the single most important type in RAF service in 1918. As the most numerous army cooperation two seater, directly supporting the troops on the ground, it was the mainstay of the RAF's primary contribution to winning WW1.

Sadly, it isn't going to happen. Despite the high profile given to the centenary, Airfix have marked WW1 with just two new kits, the BE2c (excellent choice, I've bought 5, including one just for parts to use in an eventual build of their 60 year-old 1/72 RE8) and Fokker E.III. The new figure sets they announced were cancelled. Presumably their market research indicated that WWI doesn't sell. And I bet we're not going to see a 1/48 Hart family, either.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Boeing WB-47E

Eliminating it further, is there a market for. WB-47E or a Lockheed M-21 Blackburn Drone Carrier?

Which leaves us with the 1049G Super Connie! Assuming that they didn’t retain the Heller mould, it comes into the replacing the old moulds policy.

However..........

this is in the Science Museum at Wroughton.....

44496624425_f82a42ab5d_b.jpg

30471114087_3a394792fc_b.jpg

which leaves us with erm.....🤔

Trevor

23 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Eliminating it further, is there a market for. WB-47E or a Lockheed M-21 Blackburn Drone Carrier?

Which leaves us with the 1049G Super Connie! Assuming that they didn’t retain the Heller mould, it comes into the replacing the old moulds policy.

However..........

this is in the Science Museum at Wroughton.....

44496624425_f82a42ab5d_b.jpg

30471114087_3a394792fc_b.jpg

which leaves us with erm.....🤔

Trevor

Ooh a straight 749A would be nice. 1/48?

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Col. said:

We are sure it's going to be a kit, right? I'm just trying to recall if Airfix has called it anything other than a "product". :hmmm:

The latest Airfix Workbench blog (published 12/10/2018) stated:

" ...you might want to make your way to the Airfix stand, as we will be unveiling a BIG new tooling announcement at that time."  You could speculate if "tooling" means "kit"...🤔  but I think that would be a reasonable assumption!🙂

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gordon J said:

It would be a terrible disappointment if after all these musings and words and speculation and postings about this kit and that kit and what the Airfix 2019 product announcement will be or won’t be or should be, that we then all turn up at Telford and at one minute past eleven on the Saturday after the dancers have exited the area and the curtain drops on the glass cabinet (I imagine that is how Airfix do their product announcements), if after all that we then find out that the all-new Airfix kit for 2019 is the Granger Archaeopteryx.

In 1/144th scale.

I’ll get my coat.

"In celebration  of the RAF centenary; airfix are proud to announce a commemorate membership to the airfix club!!!..."

*wump wump*

• Haha 1