Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

Having looked at various versions of the Hellcat at Telford today, I’d say it looks stunning.  [Yes, I know, pre-production, things can change, blah blah].  Not generally my scale, but talking to the Airfix guys today they definitely said French & FAA options as well as the obvious USN - I couod easioy be tempted. And with one or both wings folded it might even fit in a display cabinet - I mean, yes, the WNW Lancaster looks astonishing, but where the hell wouod you actually put it?  Unsurprisingly, it’s HUGE.

Nice one, Airfix.  

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A good call on Airfix's part I reckon. Its not one I'll ever buy being a strictly 1/72 & 1/144 on big stuff builder but like others, I reckon it'll do well for them. As to a 1/72 one down the track, hmmmm, not sure, there is a great one by Eduard, & adequate ones by Italeri, Academy & Hobby Boss so a pretty full field & while it can be argued none of them make any money for Airfix, I'm not sure a 1/72 Airfix one would make much money for Airfix either. I'd probably still buy one though.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Each year I ask my daughter what she’d like for her birthday and like a broken record each year she suggests another cat. Well after seeing this release, Dad might just come through with the goods next year!! 

Jokes aside - I’ve slept on this release (and bad joke) and am still not sure about this one. It’s not one where I’d instantly say “I’m gonna get one” however with wings folded it does now falll into the category of “mmm.. that might fit”. I still have the Tiffy in the stash, but that’s a subject I’ve loved for years. I wouldn’t say the F6F is in my top 50 of favourites but it does look quite nice with all that exposed detail. 

Hopefully we’ll see more innovative releases in the new year. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

...not a Hellcat expert by any means, but, yes, that could be an 'issue' (for me)  - not too many nice looking schemes to display it in. But I might be tempted, should be an 'easier' build than the Typhoon, shouldn't it?  Time to dig out and put aside all this years issues of Avions magazine - the editor has spent all year doing a lovely multi-part and very detailed feature on the Hellcat...

A 1/24 Hellcat is not my cup of tea nor my area of interest but it's a bolt from the blue and could be a wise move considering that the Americans especially will be interested and no doubt they'll sell a fair few over there. The kit looks lovely too, seems beautifully engineered from the snaps posted here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

That’s a sizeable area to paint in a single colour. Does anyone do extra large pots of dark blue paint? 😊

Sales of ANA623 have been extraordinary today. 30ml, 50ml or 125ml sizes may be added by next spring 😂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

I think I’m sold: trouble is, would you do an overall red F6F-5K or an engine grey and yellow with red trim F6F-5KD (VU-3-K aboard the USS Philippine Sea, CVA-47 below). It will need wings folded though or the wife might notice she can’t get in the spare room anymore.

f6f

Or something from Uruguay...

• Like 6

It's very, very nice.

People dropping by our place beside Airfix have been very, very excited.

I want one. (And I say "one" like we British mean "one" when suggesting we go for "a" drink)

Facebook is crawling with people who do not /have never run a business predicting Airfix's imminent demise because it's not a Spitfire 1a or a new Vulcan.

This will be a very unpopular statement I'm sure, but whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, not everyones' opinion is worth the same nor even necessarily valid. As someone once said to me when I was much younger and spouting off about something I knew very little about from an insiders' point of view "Don't believe everything you think".

Of those I chatted with about the big Hellcat today, the feeling was overwhelmingly that Airfix have really knocked it out of the park with this one. It's beautifully executed, it's a versatile subject, it has European and Asia-Pacific appeal alike and it's not a rehash of something already available in the same scale which invariably provokes the "The new one is nicer, but the old one can be had for 1/6th the price" thinking.

1/24 is not my scale. It's not anyones' scale. I really didn't expect to be particularly interested in whatever Airfix announced today but as of just after 11am, I really, REALLY want a new Hellcat!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bound to sell well in the US I would think. Let’s face it Hornby has to make money for shareholders before pleasing fickle Modellers so targeting the big market is a smart move. 

I like the Hellcat but 1/48 is big enough for me. (Maybe they will down size this one in a few years time?)

Duncan B

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Facebook is crawling with people who do not /have never run a business predicting Airfix's imminent demise because it's not a Spitfire 1a or a new Vulcan.

Jamie;

You made some good points, and I have to agree with the comment above. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some of those comments on the Airfix Facebook page were quite frankly childish.

Personally, I love 1/24 scale. I would have liked a Spit XIV or new Mk 1a in that scale, or a new 109E myself,  but I will be buying this Hellcat. It looks superb!

Steve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Bound to sell well in the US I would think. Let’s face it Hornby has to make money for shareholders before pleasing fickle Modellers so targeting the big market is a smart move. 

I like the Hellcat but 1/48 is big enough for me. (Maybe they will down size this one in a few years time?)

Duncan B

I will buy just one instead of two 48'ers maybe as a FAA colors or a version with engine grey and yellow wings..

Do need to do some pondering about that and even wich ones to sell again from the beloved stash...

Still they kept their lips tightend at Airfix about that new Hercules and the 1/24 Comet Racer...🤨

Edited by janneman36

I am sure Airfix will have done their research- American market for this is likely to be the target market.  1/24th too big (and expensive) for my model building.  Bit of a damp squib announcement for me building in 1/72- 'holding my breath' for more announcements.

• Like 1

Sadly I don't have space for 1/24th scale Hellcats or anything of a similar size but this is highly impressive.

I hope Humbrol put a decent Sea Blue back on the market, preferably in a spray can 🙂 

John

Certainly not my favourite American aircraft from WW2 but it looks very nice.   My main gripe though is I think they should do new tools of their other old 1/24th kits first.

I can't comment on the Spitfire so much as I haven't got one but I've got the old 1/24 Mustang and it's way past it's sell by date.   

1 minute ago, John said:

I hope Humbrol put a decent Sea Blue back on the market, preferably in a spray can 🙂 

I was thinking something similar John, I wonder what the Humbrol Sea Blue colour call-out is gonna be - Hu15? 

So, having looked through my 1,000+ references, I see that I don't have a book on the Hellcat....!   

Quick question then for FAA experts - could this kit be done in TSS? MUCH prettier and far less boring than overall GSB........  Or would we have to convert back to a Hellcat I and what would that entail?