Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

43 minutes ago, noelh said:

I'll admit surprise and I would have preferred a Corsair but I do like the Hellcat and I suspect one will end up in my unbuilt stash.

A good choice I think.

If they're willing to do a 1/24th Hellcat. It wouldn't shock me to think that a corsair in 1/24th might come in a year or two ? If not from Airfix maybe someone else. The Brits, Kiwi’s, & French aircraft alone would probably account for a good sized sale group let alone the U.S. ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

It's not for me but a good choice which I think caught just about everybody out.  Airfix must do well on their 1/24th range as the R and D and production costs must be pretty high.  As others have said it will do well both here and in the US and no doubt there will be a FAA release in the future.  Have they really not announced any 1/72 releases this year though? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

It's not for me but a good choice which I think caught just about everybody out.  Airfix must do well on their 1/24th range as the R and D and production costs must be pretty high.  As others have said it will do well both here and in the US and no doubt there will be a FAA release in the future.  Have they really not announced any 1/72 releases this year though? 

The Airfix 1/72nd Hellcat is soooo long in the tooth, I daresay we'll see a replacement within the next year or two, can't have all that research effort going to waste.

Shrewd move by Airfix, an FAA and French example appeal to me and it will helpfully sell bucket loads across the pond!

To big for me.

HOWEVER...….. it will make a lot of money for Airfix which will filter down to other scale in the future. 

A win win situation

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sundowner14 said:

Well, for a company to survive they have to have a global market. This will sell globally and whilst there will be some jingoistic handwringing that it’s not one of our own, I think it will be a good seller for Airfix. If that means they stay viable and can undertake other projects in time, I’m all for it. 

Absolutely.

I see elsewhere the wailing and gnashing of of teeth is in full flow, its if though Airfix have become a turncoat in some folks eyes. No! they are producing a kit that will sell by the absolute bucket load and enable them to organically grow and expand their range further down the line.

Tommo.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

The Airfix 1/72nd Hellcat is soooo long in the tooth, I daresay we'll see a replacement within the next year or two, can't have all that research effort going to waste.

Shrewd move by Airfix, an FAA and French example appeal to me and it will helpfully sell bucket loads across the pond!

Yes indeed.  A nice new FAA Hellcat in 1/72 would be great, especially id it includes the PR fit as well. 

A very nice move there by Airfix. The US market will lap it up, and why not?

From a practical view, it looks to be very nicely detailed OOB, and a saving grace for me is that it is reasonably small so I could get it in my existing glass cabinet. Even better if I folded the wings.

Does this mean there will be a 1/24th scale Zero coming sometime soon? Target required!

Perhaps I will get my 21st century Vulcan kit next year. I can wait.

Edited by Steve Coombs
Inability to distinguish Wildcat from Hellcat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve Coombs said:

A very nice move there by Airfix. The 1/72nd kit is a little beauty, so scaled up should be even nicer. The US market will lap it up, and why not?

From a practical view, it looks to be very nicely detailed OOB, and a saving grace for me is that it is reasonably small so I could get it in my existing glass cabinet. Even better if I folded the wings.

Does this mean there will be a 1/24th scale Zero coming sometime soon? Target required!

Perhaps I will get my 21st century Vulcan kit next year. I can wait.

The 1/72 kit was a Wildcat, different aircraft

Too bad!

It should have been a genuine British subject. 😥

Sorry to say, I will not spend any money on that.

But congrats to all of you who really want it.

Beware, Trumpeter will also come with a Hellcat next year I'll bet. Probably with floats... 😁

If you need me, I’ll be in the shed :( 

Vulcan

Must say that the Hellcat does look nice though not my scale, interest or price range. 

I’m not hating it at all as me being one person who won’t buy one, I’m sure there’s 10 others who will.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, roym said:

LOOK HERE

I had an M reg 2000E afler an P reg 1.6 GL ( XL facelift) . The E was lower and completely different car to drive , much better .Yours looked very clean BTW and those Rostyles !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

So, when does it hit the retail shops? 😛😛

According to the Airfix website, it's slated for a May 2019 release.

And yes, I'll be getting one, once I've saved enough pennies, and I've got around to the two typhoons in the stash......😁 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Thanks 1

Meh. Hellcats don't interest me, neither does 1/24th. Regardless, I hope that they sell a shedload of them and that it helps them get out of the red, so that they can do 1/72 Sea Vixens and Javelins. (A man can hope, can't he??)

I'm still in for at least a couple of the new Mk.XIVs when they hit the shelves.

• Like 2