Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

As there is no news of the forthcoming 1/48 Buccaneer and l am getting to finish the Airfix one, and the mould has gone to the smelter, just maybe.

Robert

Interesting......by 'big one' do they mean the subject or the model (or both) ?.

Personally I would really like a 1:72 VC.10 (great, great potential with quite a few different colour schemes when you consider the relatively small production run) or a new mould Avro Vulcan to complement the other recent V-Bombers. 

or..................a 1:48 BAC Jaguar, H.S. Buccaneer or Hawker Tempest

Maybe a 1:24 new-mould Spitfire though I would expect that out for 2020 and the BofB Anniversary.    

21 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

Interesting......by 'big one' do they mean the subject or the model (or both) ?.

Personally I would really like a 1:72 VC.10 (great, great potential with quite a few different colour schemes when you consider the relatively small production run) or a new mould Avro Vulcan to complement the other recent V-Bombers. 

or..................a 1:48 BAC Jaguar, H.S. Buccaneer or Hawker Tempest

Maybe a 1:24 new-mould Spitfire though I would expect that out for 2020 and the BofB Anniversary.    

If that refers to what I said, then yes, big physically as in will be the flagship release of the year, naturally probably will be a big subject. But whether it is that which has been held back, and what it is remains to be seen, 1/72 Vulcan, Herc, VC10 would all wet my fancy, also I'd take a 1/144 voyager/a330 but think thats fantasy......

Whilst I would like a 1/350th HMS Queen Elizabeth, it won't be that.  IF that does appear it will be when she goes to sea with her Lightning II's.

The announcement is at 11:00 am the Saturday - the Sunday is the 11th November with the Centennial 2 minute silence likewise at 11:00 am.  Hence I opt for a 1/24th Sopwith Camel, or S.E. 5A.

( Unfortunately, as with the Queen Elizabeth I think economics will dictate one of a 1/24th Mosquito, Tempest, or Me-262.)

Anyway, whatever it is I wish Airfix (Hornby) well and lots of profit.

• Like 1

I wonder if we'll ever see a 1/24 Gladiator? The original idea of a 1/24 Mosquito was shelved in favour of the 1/48th version....but we got it eventually thanks to Trevor Snowdon. The idea of a 1/24 Gladiator was sidelined in favour of the Fw 190A......so maybe? The possible colour schemes would quite impressive.

Steve

• Like 2

Hmm - aside from what I would whish for (Spey Phantom, Swift, DH 88, Hampden, Tiger Moth - all 1:48) - I wonder if a nice 1:48 Sea King might be a good move. Lots of variants, lots of liveries of many different countries. The Hasegawa one is OK but lacks interior detail and Airfix has done some part on the job by the 1:72 release. And the last Airfix whirlybird release in 1:48 is a while back too.

Repops and variation/modded moulds

1/48 Blenheim IV

1/48 Hunter FR10

1/72 Wimpey BIII

NF Meteor? Sea Fury T.20 ?

New tool - likely?

1/72 Vulcan - seriously overdue

1/72 Battle or Lysander

What was rumoured ages ago

1/72 Avro Lincoln

What would be lovely

1/24 Gladiator or Tiger Moth.

But I wouldnt rule out a 1/24 Sea Fury or Tempest (75th Anniversary of D-DAY?)...  or a 1/72 Bucc - Tanmodel are about to release a 1/48 one but their 1/72 one has gone quiet...hasnt it?

What they really need to do

Spitfire TR.9 (its only really a new fuselage and canopy set innit.. markings for Boultbee, Aero Legends and Air Leasing) - who wouldnt buy a kit of the aircraft they'd just spent £2500 to fly in....? Just a thought... (and yes I know AZ do one, I'm building it at the moment but well....)

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT

Repeat after me in 1/48 scale

Gannet

Gannet

Gannet

Gannet

Well if Trev can bang on about a Balliol ….I'm going the Gannet route.  :clap2:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

If it’s one of the ‘show off’ 1/24 scale, then a Spitfire IX, Hurricane II, or even an F6F may fit the bill.

Otherwise (and repeat ad infinitum)

TAH DAH!!!!!

23542914058_072b27cc84_b.jpg

The marking options are erm many fold.

Trevor Sea-Balliol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does make a lot of sense for Airfix to follow up the gorgeous Typhoon with the Tempest, making maximum use of what's already very similar (engine and cockpit layouts) and I'd have to have one.

That said, I'm still waiting to do Tamiya's 32nd scale MkIX Spit and what would not be to like about one of those in 24th scale too?

Plenty of options for varieties of drop tanks, bombs, beer barrels, etc. Both 'C' and 'E' wing armaments and all in time for the D-Day anniversary. 

An optional two seat conversion at extra cost would keep the modern day Spitfire fliers happy too.

Like the EE Lightning idea too in 24th.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jenko said:

What ever it is . Comments like ..never saw that coming and who'd have thought that will abound.

But it is strange after so much speculation here over what might be released, Airfix do actually often surprise us. Fortunately, for me at least, one of Airfix's new releases  unerringly seems to hit somewhere in my wish list. 

But its great fun to speculate.... last time I did, I was shot down unmercifully for suggesting that a new 1/72 Canberra B2/B6 might make Airfix a few bob. So as that's far too obvious and I'm trying to think surprise,  how about Airfix turning their hand to a Vickers Vimy? 

The Vimy was the core of the RAF's heavy bomber force throughout the 1920s and set several notable records for long-distance flights. Now let me think what was the most celebrated and significant of these? 🤔 Ah yes; possibly the first non-stop crossing of the Atlantic by John Alcock and Arthur Brown in June 1919. By my calculation that would be 100 years next year... Gift set with a Phantom FGR.2 XV424 in a special scheme anyone? 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4

If its 1/24th I'm up for a TigerMoth if not 24th then 48th would be just as glorious.  Just because it s supposed to be big doesn't really have to be size it could be a subject we all have been craving thats big.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Hmm - aside from what I would whish for (Spey Phantom, Swift, DH 88, Hampden, Tiger Moth - all 1:48) - I wonder if a nice 1:48 Sea King might be a good move. Lots of variants, lots of liveries of many different countries. The Hasegawa one is OK but lacks interior detail and Airfix has done some part on the job by the 1:72 release. And the last Airfix whirlybird release in 1:48 is a while back too.

I agree with you on the vast majority shown on your wish list - I also totally agree that a new 1:48 Westland Sea King would be very nice (especially if they kit it in such a way as to produce both the ASW/SAR and Commando variants). Sadly, and I really do not know why, rotary wing subjects don't seem to sell too well. There are an awful lot of Lynx and Merlin kits on the secondhand market. I also think if Airfix were to do another helicopter kit it would most likely be a SA.330 Puma since this has an equally good following, lots of marking options, has never been done before (I don't count the Heller 1:50 scale of a prototype machine) and is highly sought after (it would definitely get my vote).

• Like 1

Whatever it is, I hope: it's hugely successful for Airfix; sells by the container loads and allows Airfix to go releasing new kits into the future.

Ok, now that the serious business is out of the way, one could be forgiven it's either going to be big, as in size wise (1/24) or big, as in actual aircraft big.

So, based on my earlier misgivings if it's big (1/24) then my heart says its a new tool Spitfire IX (ducks for cover), allowing ensuing variants in coming years.

if on the other hand it's big (a/c) then one of the following: Ju88a; HP Hampden; and last but not least a B-24 liberator...

Sorry salty folks, I don't think there'll be any any 1/350 QE this year... but 1/700... hmmm???

A 1:24 Tempest makes some sense, given that they've already done the Typhoon; on the same "variation on a theme" theme, how about a 1:24 two-stage Mosquito?

Other than that, I'll settle for some two-hole Meteors in 1:48, thanks ...

They've done the Harrier GR1 & 3, as well as the FRS1 Sea Harrier in 1/24, so why not one of the plastic wing versions?

OR

Why not bring out a helicopter in 1/24?  I'm thinking a nice Scout or Wasp...

OR

1/48 F-35B Lightning??  Eh? Eh?  

OR

The Puma has been crying out to be released in 1/48.  They've done most of the rest, well, Merlin and Lynx anyway....  In fact, they haven't done most of the rest...

We'll end up with a Spitfire, wait and see.

• Like 1