Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

2 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I suppose you could make many people happy with a nice coffe table size Concorde book with line drawings and such. No need for long text on the subject - just the technical drawings.

The drawings represent specific IP so publishing them in the public domain would I suppose sort of yield any IP null and void.  I guess the question is does the IP for Concorde hold any value for BAE??

Something at the back of my mind tells

me that the IP owner of Concorde is actually Airbus.

I see that Boeing seem to have cornered the market for IP on long out of production types such as the P-51. Is this because they have the blueprints or is it because somehow they own “Mustang”. They can’t own P-51 as I assume that belongs to the USAF?

Trevor

Trevor, I think the term you are looking for is 'Design Authority'.

For instance, I believe BAE systems are the Design Authority for Tiger Moths.

So if you need your Moth repairing then they will approve or disapprove your plans.

Boeing have inherited Douglas and North American aircraft Design Authority as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Something at the back of my mind tells

me that the IP owner of Concorde is actually Airbus.

I see that Boeing seem to have cornered the market for IP on long out of production types such as the P-51. Is this because they have the blueprints or is it because somehow they own “Mustang”. They can’t own P-51 as I assume that belongs to the USAF?

Trevor

Boeing bought Rockwell who had previously bought North American. Therefore Boeing acquired legacy rights to anything carrying the "North American Aviation Inc" name.

McDonnell bought Douglas in 1967 (becoming McDonnell Douglas) and Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas in 1997.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well we will find out on Saturday, whilst something large in 72nd would be nice and likely bought I fear it will be another 1/48th or 1/24th kit which sadly I just don't do but still nice to see them come out with something rather tasty and interesting to others.

I'm actually glad they haven't dropped a clanger that they did last year, where they announced virtually all the new tools during the year on workbench and had to cancel the SMW announcement as they would have had nothing left for the 2018 catalogue reveal at the end of the year. This year we have had the 48th Spitfire and we have the SMW announcement, I guess they may let one or two others out of the bag in the workbenches running up  to Christmas (I bet one might be the Wellington BII with the Merlin's as they let that slip by accident already in the reveal of the B.I) but should nice to actually have some surprises in store for the 2019 range launch.

As for what I would like to see them announce  maybe  a new tool Vulcan to give them V-force or a new C-130 Hercules as a new kit is long overdue and some smart design work might enable both Long and Short C-130K & C-130J boxings  

• Like 1

white-falcon-in-ep2

Suppose it would be too much to hope for....................................................!!!!!:lol:

Allan

ps  In case you are wondering, it's the White Falcon interceptor operated by the Spectrum Angels in the very inferior Captain Scarlet reboot! Some great hardware though! Probably no more silly a suggestion than some! I was kind of hoping the original Angel Interceptor might resurface in the Vintage Classic range!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The cynic in me, has to note that Airfix are getting rid of 1/72 Whitley MkVII's on Amazon & Ebay, maybe we  will see a 1/48th Whitley at Telford (not what i want, and i cant see there being too many who would not prefer something else). But thought i would put it out there

Also i wonder if we will get a facebook teaser before Saturday, if so i hope its not to much of a give away

Cheers Rich

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

..... For instance, I believe BAE systems are the Design Authority for Tiger Moths.....

They were but I believe this is now fully transferred to DH Support based at Duxford.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

white-falcon-in-ep2

Suppose it would be too much to hope for....................................................!!!!!:lol:

Allan

ps  In case you are wondering, it's the White Falcon interceptor operated by the Spectrum Angels in the very inferior Captain Scarlet reboot! Some great hardware though! Probably no more silly a suggestion than some! I was kind of hoping the original Angel Interceptor might resurface in the Vintage Classic range!

At Southwell there was a mahoosive resin Angel Interceptor kit - so large in fact that people were using it to navigate by 'turn left at the Angel Interceptor and there are the loos!'

• Haha 4

There's a big difference between Intellectual Property (and associated names, trademarks, images etc) and a Design Authority. If copyrighted the name 'Mustang' or 'North American' requires licencing - the DA relates to the specific technical support and engineering information. DH legacy types DA is absolutely with IIRC Mark Miller at Duxford as many large aerospace firms have no interest in 'legacy types' and presumably associated potential liability.

The devil in me would love to know what the licencing rates are for a model kit from Boeing etc... :)

TT 

There's a thread over on LSP that claims that "a reliable source at Airfix" has hinted that the 'new release' will be 1/24th scale. How reliable this is remains to be seen!

10 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

There's a thread over on LSP that claims that "a reliable source at Airfix" has hinted that the 'new release' will be 1/24th scale. How reliable this is remains to be seen!

I knew it!!! That 1/24 HMS Ark Royal was bang on the money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

55 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

The devil in me would love to know what the licencing rates are for a model kit from Boeing etc... :)

I watched a documentary on Star Wars toys last night. The company that made the original toys acquired a universal and eternal licence for 5% of sales with a minimum payment of $10k per year. This was regarded as ludicrously cheap. After they thought the franchise was finished they stopped paying so the licence expired. When the second trilogy started there was an auction and they (who had been bought by Hasbro in the meantime) had to pay 18%, which they weren't sure would still allow them to make a profit and wasn't exclusive (Lego had another licence, for example).

I suspect Boeing charge somewhere between 5% and 18%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That works out to roughly 39’ x 5’4” ? That would be one long canoe ? 

NO..........THAT'S a ferry! Room enough for you AND your Horse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

The cynic in me, has to note that Airfix are getting rid of 1/72 Whitley MkVII's on Amazon & Ebay, maybe we  will see a 1/48th Whitley at Telford (not what i want, and i cant see there being too many who would not prefer something else). But thought i would put it out there

Also i wonder if we will get a facebook teaser before Saturday, if so i hope its not to much of a give away

Cheers Rich

Well, I'd buy a 1/48 Whitley, possibly two if I could save up enough beer tokens.  It would go nicely with the Blenheim (already on pre-order).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Well if it is a 1/24 kit i guess it can be a Sea Fury, this is a top seller in 1/48 and it should be as well in 1/24 range..

I even would consider buying one in that scale though it isn't my scale...

Or, a newly tooled 1:24 Bf 109E.

Well Chaps and Ladies,

I can definitively say interest in Airfix products is waning - since this thread was started by "Robert The First" in early October of this year we have had less than a thousand posts to date! 🏃‍♀️ 🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🤩

I know quantity is not a measure of quality but as Joseph Stalin famously said "quantity has a quality all of its own".

So there you have it

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Or, a newly tooled 1:24 Bf 109E.

In a year that marks the RAF Centenary !!! ?, I suspect it will be something used by the RAF

• Like 2

1/48 Gannet ………………………. just saying :clap:

Dick...…………….. I really do need a Gannet

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jenko said:

I really do need a Gannet

If your need is that urgent will this do in the meantime?

25aa852d-a786-4c65-b0ca-3e82422050dc.png

Not sure if it is exactly 1/48, it may be 1/24.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gorby said:

If your need is that urgent will this do in the meantime?

25aa852d-a786-4c65-b0ca-3e82422050dc.png

Not sure if it is exactly 1/48, it may be 1/24.

Thank you. Fits the bill. Wings already folded as well. :penguin:

I think it might be a COD rather than AEW Gannet. :whistle:

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why haven't one of the major bookmakers not opened betting on this? I mean if you can bet on things like the winner of Strictly or the Christmas No.1 then surely the Airfix 2019 product announcement merits a market?

Maybe we'll all turn up at Telford only to find out there are more bookmakers in attendance than actual traders and the halls will be filled with guys doing tic-tac.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha 3