Airfix announcement at Telford 2018, F6F-5 Hellcat 1/24 scale

Robert

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

This looks like a Hellcat II in TSS:

eabc9ccbeecdbd9cd9402cf8615ddd55.jpg

What's the purpose of the markings on the spine and the footprint like marks above the squadron codes?

Here's a profile of a different aircraft:

ospreyaa75reviewrk_2.jpg

You need to be cautious.

all -5 hellcats left Grumman in GSB. 

Late -3 hellcats had a lot of the mods fitted that a cursory glance indicates a -5 so no rear windows, modified cowling  etc...

So telling a late -3 and a -5 apart is hard.

In USN service if it’s GSB it’s a -5 if it’s tri colour it’s a -3   For BPF / RN who knows although I wonder if the RN would repaint aircraft or just put them into service??

3 minutes ago, Plasto said:

You need to be cautious.

all -5 hellcats left Grumman in GSB. 

Late -3 hellcats had a lot of the mods fitted that a cursory glance indicates a -5 so no rear windows, modified cowling  etc...

So telling a late -3 and a -5 apart is hard.

In USN service if it’s GSB it’s a -5 if it’s tri colour it’s a -3   For BPF / RN who knows although I wonder if the RN would repaint aircraft or just put them into service??

I'm going to be devils advocate here.  :devil:

If they were painted in the US and delivered to the UK. Would the US have used ANA colours of near equivalents to the UK colours as happened on Corsairs??? 

Why repaint an aircraft to go into theatre that has nearly the correct colours??

Dick

2 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

So what did I win? :happy:

I remember that post of yours and i thought that you where going bonkers and then it all just happened...

And @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbieseven outside the UK people do  love Vulcans, i even went on a pelgrimage to see one in 1991 ....Vulcans rule...

But do i need a new one, no not really at moment with theold one already started..

Nevertheless Airfix kept us really tied up with this one, now we can start a thread about what is to come in the rest of the 2019 program...

13 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

What is the American (and French) Modelling press making of this announcement?

Trevor

over on master194.com (FR) barely a couple of comments - their Telford thread is mostly devoted to the WNW news and the AMK F-14 (non-appearance..)

3 hours ago, Plasto said:

So telling a late -3 and a -5 apart is hard

So that would make converting the Airfix dash-5 to a late dash-3 Hellcat all the easier, would it not. It sounds like all the major differences would be internal.

21 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Nice stuff Airfix! Not my scale or subject, but I'm sure it'll sell magnificently -  definitely a shrewd move re. US market!

Now, about that 1:72nd release we're all overdue...

Yes, was there any 1/72 news at all at Telford?

5 hours ago, jenko said:

I'm going to be devils advocate here.  :devil:

If they were painted in the US and delivered to the UK. Would the US have used ANA colours of near equivalents to the UK colours as happened on Corsairs??? 

No, Grumman had been building Martlets for the FAA, and had been using US made MAP equivalent colours,  which are nearly identical.

You get this with Avengers, Avenger I are Grumman built, in US version of MAP colours, Avenger II were Eastern built, in US ANA equivalent colors,  

Let me see if I can find the Hellcat differences -3/-5 post...

OK

What is the difference between Hellcat F6F5 and F6F3 ?

scan0010_zps88e0739e.jpg&key=0a69ea53357

scan0009_zps299b88c7.jpg&key=e0272f9aedf

note the differing block numbers of serials for changes.  How long before we see aftermarket  -3 resin cowling and windows/

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John said:

I hope Humbrol put a decent Sea Blue back on the market, preferably in a spray can 🙂 

John

I've got an old can of Halfords spray paint that looks like a dead match. I just didn't realise until now that my Vauxhall Astra was painted in Gloss Sea Blue.

• Haha 2

I read a Typhoon saves Airfix two years back and was a BIG success. Despite their unusual and Airfix (and very few kits released a decade ago) car scale.  Why i bought a Tiffy (BOTH !) in this gigantic scale ? Because was relative cheap, with many interest details as stressed surface and negative/positive riveting.... and have all - engine, guns, rockets and bombs.... and any company never released Tiffy in small scale in current standard of industry... (Revell was too old).  Now, many people waits for Hellcat in 1/32, especialy from Tamiya - but Tamiya never released a Hellcat...  And price of car scale Hellcat from Airfix is similar to price of 1/32 Corsair from Tamiya but kit is more huge...  Now i probably bought an Airfix Hellcat, because i can´t wait for "Maybe" from Tamiya... Tamiya make an quarter scale "109" for crazy price and now make an Spitfire Mk. I (still without rivets etc...)... Many people looks for new tool big scale Hellcat, and when you can´t have it in 1/32, why don´t now buy a 1/24  - for the same price ? Hellcat is good choice, is widely popular, maybe have a boring dark blue scheme, but Spitfire Mk. I have boring scheme too....  Griffon powered Spitfire in 1/24 is economical suiccide - this version are world wide un-popular, haven´t a elegance and beautiful lines of Merlin Powered Spit... Hellcat is Ace maker, is BIG, have foldeable wing and looks gorgeous. For Mk. IX spit you have two kit´s in 1/32 Tamiya and more cheapest Revell... When Airfix say he released an Mustang - my reaction was - ANOTHER Stang ? WHY ?! But when i saw a Grumman i call - Hurrray a Hellcat - maybe a little bigger but shut up and here is my Money Airfix...

The same case is Vulcan... Vulcan is interesing type for Britons only... Few aircraft, one combat mission in real conflict.... And it is a four engine jet bomber and modelers companies ignored a four engine jet bomber... Victor looks very unusual, relative futuristic and their Bomber/Blue Steel missile never existed before released of Airfix kit... i like this type (Victor) when i it first time saw in one aircraft encyclopedy.... with BIG Missile under belly....  And Airfix need a money, many money.... I hope in Vulcan...it is a logic he released a Vulcan...sometime... But when you desperate  need a money, you must released popular subject for many modelers... and not for UK Market only...Hellcat is real a brillant choice !

• Like 5

Now that it's over, shall we close this thread that's a bit of a wishlist-cum-catchall thread and begin some new ones with new news of the individual new announcements? ^_^  It's getting a bit unwieldy at 38 pages :S

• Like 1

• Mike locked this topic